How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

g-boaf

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Was pretty cold this morning.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:22 am

Gee the weather has been good lately...a little windy but that's it.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:53 am

Upped my kms in last week's cold and wet and am now looking out at the sterling weather from my sick bed. Sigh.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 pm

got to work. tapped my access card on the boom gate. no worky. i work my way around the boom gate.
tap my access card on bike cage. no worky. there is a dodgy way in. so i get in
tap my access card on the shower block. no worky. someone left the door ajar so i get in.
back to the bike cage. thankfully someone was there to let me in.
tap my card for the lift area. no worky. so i walk up to ground then get a lift to my floor. reception are there, they let me in.
i now have a new card. gah

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 pm

fat and old wrote:Gee the weather has been good lately...a little windy but that's it.
A little windy? Wait until tomorrow and think of me riding North along the beach to get to work, I don't think this is going to be fun . . . or quick.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:32 am

DavidS wrote:
fat and old wrote:Gee the weather has been good lately...a little windy but that's it.
A little windy? Wait until tomorrow and think of me riding North along the beach to get to work, I don't think this is going to be fun . . . or quick.

DS
Crikey, I have had the bike for 5 years now, its got 9 gears. Now I discoverer another one. Reverse....I had to dodge a branch so went up a small grade with some moss or wet leaves on it, and in low gear I was at best standing still.

But with a bit of poetic journalism I reckon it at least felt like going backwards. I like the romanticism of the wind in my hair and all that, but this morning it was more like neck snapping. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:03 am

That sounds nasty outnabike
I had 2 degrees this morning. But it will be mid to high 20s this afternoon. Westerly winds are very common at this time of year - cold and strong

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:52 pm

DavidS wrote:

DS
Going home, I'm gonna feel your pain. Wind comes straight down the fwy reserve the bike path is on :(

This morning was excellent tho :D

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 pm

fat and old wrote:
DavidS wrote:

DS
Going home, I'm gonna feel your pain. Wind comes straight down the fwy reserve the bike path is on :(

This morning was excellent tho :D
Yep, quite the opposite for me, worst average speed on the way in for years, and the overall average was still woeful, just couldn't make up the speed.

That wind was ferocious, I thought a bit worse in the morning but might just be my perception.

DS

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Bit of a tailwind this arvo, and a bit of CCR to go with it. Spied a roadie ahead so upped my pace a little. As I drew near he must have seen my shadow and seemed to increase pace. I stayed there for a while before passing and speeding away. He must have dropped off the pace after I passed, because I got away cleanly. Interestingly he was riding an older 10speed with down tube shifters, but using the little little combo with a fair bit of chain slack.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 am

Yep, last night was bad. I hate the northerly season. Bring on summer!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 am

My week has been fun... week 3 of having the flu so have backed off the pace as I was having coughing fits at the lights and struggling to breathe... the downside is being passed or seeing another cyclist ahead and having to just plod away ignoring them... and worse was being passed by an old lady on an ebike... normally fun time. And then this morning the weather web site said it was 9c so donned the wet weather gear but fingerless gloves...they were close it was 5c and fingers froze before it bucketed down for the last 10km and then to top off the week I pulled into works carpark and dropped the bike landing on my already bruised side from a crash the other week.... weekend bikepacking trip is cancelled and forecast for next week is 2 dryish days... hopefully flu goes this weekend
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:40 am

^^ Ouch. get better quickly.

This morning I left a little late for my extendo-mute. Don't think my mind was in the zone. Just felt slow, and noone to chase or pace me, they were all going the other way.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 am

Strange sights yesterday arvo.
Going through the park and I saw a lady with a goat on a lead, then had to look twice as a few seconds later saw a man with a great big wooly sheep on a lead. They were getting a few looks too.
Then about half way home there was two young women, one taking a photo of the other with the lake backdrop. Not unusual in itself, but the subject of the photo was holding up her dog, not a little dog either, but a labradoodle or similar size, almost as big as her and a bit of a struggle to hold.

Seems the heat got to a few people.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:11 am

I got up this morning to 18 degrees and very windy.

Replaced the merino top with a short sleeve shirt.

Had one flat section where I was struggling to do 8kmh :oops:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Wind, every damned day of late. A howling NorWester is no fun along Beach Rd in the morning.

Getting a bit sick of this at the moment.

DS

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 am

Recovery commute this morning. Legs are ok

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:52 pm

Got hailed by one of Hell's Accountants heading into the city - mumbled something about a motor. I was doing around 40-50 km/h at the time so he was probably impressed that a fat slow old bloke could get along without one. Yes it was downhill, why do you ask ? :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Did you get a prize Bruce ? Got up, got ready open the garage door. Wet roads. Message my mates back to bed. Up an hour later for a cruise in with a couple of mates

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Friday I went off road, the short but long way. Was good to ride off road, but noticed a flat at lunch time. Rang for the sag wagon, but it was unable to attend so I walked home (40min on the shortest up and over route) and got blisters from my work boots. Apparently they are suited to wearing all day it not for hiking, but they are better for walking that riding shoes. Went back later with the car to pick up the bike.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:32 pm

There are prizes for commuting in Bris-Vegas ? I can't even crack the top 10 in the commuting challenge so unlikely to be winning any prizes.

Bychosis you better pass on that walking malarkey, sounds dangerous

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:01 pm

I keep spare tubes at work these days... and have a bike shop 200mtrs away.... Flu has cleared up so back at gym in the mornings again now... makes for keeping the km going a bit harder but but no rain this week so will also get some bumps in... also detrimental to keeping the km up but thankfully for the commuter challenge I will find a way
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Yeah, not keen on walking it too often, unless I can remember to take some decent shoes. I'm aiming to run to work at least once by the end of the year, but that will be planned, not as a result of bike malfunction.

I had a pump in my locker and a spare tube in my backpack. Just happen that I was on my MTB which had been tubeless for a while, but recently reverted to tubes and the spare tube was a 700x23 size. :(

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:05 pm

bychosis wrote:Yeah, not keen on walking it too often, unless I can remember to take some decent shoes. I'm aiming to run to work at least once by the end of the year, but that will be planned, not as a result of bike malfunction.

I had a pump in my locker and a spare tube in my backpack. Just happen that I was on my MTB which had been tubeless for a while, but recently reverted to tubes and the spare tube was a 700x23 size. :(
Redundancy and reliability are the kings of commuting for me. I broke a nipple on the ride home last night. I was able to substitute a rear wheel from my #2 bike for today. A similar issue on the front would cost me my primary lights, so I need to build another dynohub front wheel it seems.

All my wheels have tyres that take the same tubes. I even carry a Tufo tubular clincher as a spare, which might be going a bit far, but it means that I can confidently offer a spare tube to a damsel in distress.

Cheers,

Cameron.
Last edited by ironhanglider on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 am

ironhanglider wrote: I broke a nipple on the ride home last night. I was able to substitute a rear wheel from my #2 bike for today.
I broke a spoke nipple yesterday... lucky for disc brakes it has less of an effect and this morning just grabbed the roadie... lucky for spare bikes