How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

g-boaf

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:31 pm

find_bruce wrote: It's more that I am amused by this guys fragile little ego that can't handle the reality that he is slower than a fat bloke on a hybrid
Sometimes it's easier to let them go. Or you just let them puff themselves out and then put the hammer down, as you sort of did. :twisted:

Anyhow, I was running late this morning so had to ride very fast. Made it in time. This afternoon was nice, so I added another 20km on top of my usual commute.

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:48 am

jasonc wrote: say hello when you go by. watch the steam come out the ears
hehehe... I had the same experience a few weeks ago. I cruised up next to him with one hand off the bars eating a banana and asked where he was going. He suddenly had to stop to fix something - obviously didn't like hands-off...

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:49 pm

not on commutes, I had this chat with one of our post docs about the route going home, and I said now I try to be a slow cyclist and turn left at the 99bike stanmore instead of taking the paramatta rd, so just tracing back where I come from. He then said he hadn't tried it yet as he was afraid of the hills. I just stared blankly and asked "don't you have an ebike?" which he replied "yes, but the hills still seems scary"

back to my commute this morning, was stopping at th redlight around lewisham station. There was this mom with her kid on a scooter. then somehow the kid's scooter rolled onto the road when it was still red for crossing. thank god no cars were going through. Be careful kids, just dismount the scooter completely, no legs on scooter, particularly where it's rather downhill.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:09 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Funnily enough its my regular commute & yes MGIF is a regular & this is his typical behaviour
I get that a fair bit on my commute too. I just ride along at my own pace, but I have concluded that people don't like being passed by a bike with a rack and pannier :lol:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:05 pm

tez001 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
Funnily enough its my regular commute & yes MGIF is a regular & this is his typical behaviour
I get that a fair bit on my commute too. I just ride along at my own pace, but I have concluded that people don't like being passed by a bike with a rack and pannier :lol:
Haha, I used to have a basket on the back of my bike. I too just ride my own pace and that really pissed people off when I passed them.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:51 am

Left for work this morning just as the blood moon eclipse started. Watched the whole thing on the way in. Awesome stuff.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:16 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Left for work this morning just as the blood moon eclipse started. Watched the whole thing on the way in. Awesome stuff.
I got it from about 5.30am as I headed to my regular group ride. Fantastic!

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Just realized how fine is the line between a safe commute and an accident. Was on the bridge around Belmore industrial area, and just passed a cone on the gutter that was knocked down. Didn't see it from a far, and was pretty lucky as if I just rode in the gutter as I was a bit on the left side on the road, it could've been an accident and potentially go beyond the fence and down to the rail tracks.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:17 pm

opik_bidin wrote:Just realized how fine is the line between a safe commute and an accident. Was on the bridge around Belmore industrial area, and just passed a cone on the gutter that was knocked down. Didn't see it from a far, and was pretty lucky as if I just rode in the gutter as I was a bit on the left side on the road, it could've been an accident and potentially go beyond the fence and down to the rail tracks.
Exactly - I would have been doored today except I deliberately ride outside the door zone. Woman had absolutely no clue & jumped in shock when I yelled Oi! Yep I "came out of nowhere" despite doing all of 15 km/h & having multiple bright lights

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:13 am

I had a lady this morning try to do a U-turn in front of me. Fortunately she noticed in time. I was already on the brakes so no harm done.

Not so cold as I thought and not as much smoke as I expected either.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:09 am

g-boaf wrote:I had a lady this morning try to do a U-turn in front of me. Fortunately she noticed in time. I was already on the brakes so no harm done.

Thats a huge problem in Auckland, they do u-turns anywhere and I have been hit a few times that way... and have had a few near misses in the car as they do uturns on blind corners, hills... anywhere
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:18 am

cancan64 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I had a lady this morning try to do a U-turn in front of me. Fortunately she noticed in time. I was already on the brakes so no harm done.

Thats a huge problem in Auckland, they do u-turns anywhere and I have been hit a few times that way... and have had a few near misses in the car as they do uturns on blind corners, hills... anywhere
It's a bit annoying, but I kind of expect it and I have good brakes. I had another one on the way home do something stupid, but again I was covering the brakes so could slow down.

On the flip side, regular 30km/h average speeds on my commute, even with numerous slow downs and slow sections is pretty nice. :) This morning it felt easy.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 pm

I haven't posted in here in a long time. Here is a video of my commute home from Thursday arvo.

My biggest issue is kangaroos doing u-turns :-)

Sorry for the music.

https://youtu.be/14wjDVNJtlw

COunt how many cars pass me :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:21 am

Wet. Ground all but dry before I left, just a few spots. Clouds, but no real sign of rain. Nothing at all on the radar. The further I got the wetter I got, but still only spitting rain. Lucky for emergency spares in the locker, my fresh underwear and socks were no longer fresh on arrival due to the wet infiltrating my backpack. Thank goodness for dryin rooms.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 am

Cold this morning. Would have been dry if not for the blocked gutter in Leederville that flooded the entire PSP for about 10m.

That don't bother me!! I thinks to myself, as I smugly congratulate myself for having full wrap mudgards and do not adjust my speed - except the flood was about 6in deeper than I thought it was. Mudguards are good ... but not /that/ good.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Dry this morning, but running late and with tired legs. I did however manage to drop a car through three successive corners.

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Sunday thrash down to the local for the Sunday session to beat the rain...get there just in time...check pockets and no wallet..DOH!

Ride back home get wet..change of clothes and back again with wallet this time..got to love those double commutes.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:30 am

Copped a chain drop on the way home yesterday, while standing pedalling with reasonable force uphill. Bit of a shock, but managed to avoid a complete stack. This was in the middle of a road about to turn right, luckily only a quiet residential street. The person at a house nearby called out to check I was OK which was nice - I may have made an exclamation expressing my disappointment in the drive train that made her look around.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:24 pm

bychosis wrote:Copped a chain drop on the way home yesterday, while standing pedalling with reasonable force uphill. Bit of a shock, but managed to avoid a complete stack. This was in the middle of a road about to turn right, luckily only a quiet residential street. The person at a house nearby called out to check I was OK which was nice - I may have made an exclamation expressing my disappointment in the drive train that made her look around.
Lucky! I've only had it once, and for sure it was when I was pedalling with quite a lot of force. Soon as I felt the resistance go I stopped pedalling immediately and somehow the chain went back on its own accord. :? It scares the heck out of you.

Today was cold and very windy. Saw one lady riding a bike, along with her dog on a leash have a small stack. Checked that she was okay and no was harm done, fortunately.

Going by the temperature at the moment. I'm unsure if I'll ride tomorrow.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:01 am

Cold in Brisbane this morning. Ekka winds are here

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 am

jasonc wrote:Cold in Brisbane this morning. Ekka winds are here

+1

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:27 pm

I just remembered - heading home last night at about 9.00pm, on the North Brisbane Bikeway behind the grammar school, in the middle of the path...an owl.

I haven't seen one around there before so that was pretty cool.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:34 pm

RobertL wrote:I just remembered - heading home last night at about 9.00pm, on the North Brisbane Bikeway behind the grammar school, in the middle of the path...an owl.

I haven't seen one around there before so that was pretty cool.
Where's the picture?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Bloody cold for a South East Queensland early morning commute this morning. Just before I left the thermometer said 2 degree. Brrr.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Very windy again this afternoon, but getting all the sets of traffic lights green in a row, I can't complain about that.