How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

g-boaf

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Commuted in, then immediately went back home to pickup things I forgot. Annoying.

Netti

Postby Netti » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Commuting in sunny North Queensland is absolutely divine at this time of year. I know that the southerners will laugh, but it was chilly this morning at 13 degrees as I rode out the driveway at home. We very rarely get into single digits up here. And this afternoon, it will be a balmy 25 degrees when I ride home.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Netti wrote:Commuting in sunny North Queensland is absolutely divine at this time of year. I know that the southerners will laugh, but it was chilly this morning at 13 degrees as I rode out the driveway at home. We very rarely get into single digits up here. And this afternoon, it will be a balmy 25 degrees when I ride home.

Bah, 13°C is balmy. ;) It was minus one this morning here. Very cold again tonight too.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Bloody windy today in Melbourne. 13°C would be nice, not sure it got that warm all day. Just checked, nope, max of 12.6 :(

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 am

Got a Garmin badge this morning for riding in below zero. Bloody cold in Brisbane

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:28 pm

g-boaf wrote:Commuted in, then immediately went back home to pickup things I forgot. Annoying.
Fuhhhhh I would not be a happy bunny!

Pretty pleasant weather this morning and I managed to dress myself properly for it. About 6c when I left. Said hi to a few ducks.

I'm swimming a few km a week now and slowly but surely starting to feel a bit fitter.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 pm

g-boaf wrote:Commuted in, then immediately went back home to pickup things I forgot. Annoying.
I did that once, and turned what was supposed to be a 27km commute to work into an approximately 70km one.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Not quite up to commuting yet but did a small up and down the Koonung Ck trail. Garmin recommend 36hrs recovery for a 45min 214W NP ride. Hmmm... lost a little fitness!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Good to hear you are back on the bike kb

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:48 pm

kb wrote:Not quite up to commuting yet but did a small up and down the Koonung Ck trail. Garmin recommend 36hrs recovery for a 45min 214W NP ride. Hmmm... lost a little fitness!
I have no idea how that Garmin recovery thing works. Yesterday rode with the kids for near 2 hrs and got 16hr recovery. This morning on the 27min commute (admittedly a lot harder work) - recovery 41hrs. Got recovery of 4hrs for a 5min slow pedal once too.

Enjoyed an 'up and over' commute by MTB this morning. Minor problem, I was planning on stopping by the big green shed on the way home but I'm not leaving my good bike out the front with a $5 cable lock. Shopping detour will need to wait until tomorrow.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:09 pm

kb wrote:Not quite up to commuting yet but did a small up and down the Koonung Ck trail. Garmin recommend 36hrs recovery for a 45min 214W NP ride. Hmmm... lost a little fitness!
That's good that you are in action again.

I had a nice ride in today, temperature was lovely.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:26 pm

bychosis wrote:
kb wrote:I have no idea how that Garmin recovery thing works.
I changed the settings to ales.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:46 pm

P!N20 wrote:
bychosis wrote:
kb wrote:I have no idea how that Garmin recovery thing works.
I changed the settings to ales.
Of course, then you need advice on the “recovery” recovery :-)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Howling gale in my face on the way in, wind had shifted and rain arrived for the way home.

Not the most pleasant commute.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:11 am

After a long hiatus due to severe DVT, I am slowly getting myself back into commuting. My left leg (the dodgy one) is getting fatigue very quickly, which I suppose is to be expected given what happened to me.
My good leg is fine, so it's not just a case of being out of form, so I just to need to chip away at it and hope that my body works it's magic and repairs whatever damage has been done.
I have done about 6 commutes now, and I am just taking it easy. The power meter is a massive help in this regard, as my poor form means my heart is leaping out of my chest on what would normally be an easy ride, so it is difficult to judge my effort. I'm happy to see that my power output seems largely unaffected by the injury. I can still put out big watts when I need to, but I have just lost all my endurance when doing those efforts. Thank god for 34/32 gearing!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 am

yesterday night, got a very close pass at the punchbowl rd at the bridge over the freight railway line. Was already near the middle when a van still forced through with another cars on the lane beside it also honking because of this van.

Also several days ago near 99bike stanmore, at bridgmore road. was trying tuning right with me already beside the centerline. And then a mini truck honked from behind with high speed and passed on my right (meaning he goes over the centerline) and not my left ewith very high speed. Anther car from the opposite direction even honked and had to break a bit.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:40 am

Windy this morning, bright sunshine and rain too.

Pretty tired legs today too - but a nice ride none the less.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Was on sidewalk for the investigate NSW infrastructure rally, coming with a friend so walked my bike there on the sidewalks. Saw two police officers on George st with heavy ped and car traffic riding on sidewalks.

got me thinking "even police riding on sidewalks"

two cyclists that were waiting at the intersection smiled.

Then came back through the A2 cycleway all the way to Lakemba. Quite flat and has this country feeling. I think it's Better than M7 as there are still shops and restaurants to stop at.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:27 pm

been having problems with my headset. i pulled it apart on the weekend and couldn't get the tension right but it was rideable. went to a shop last night and they made my ride home scary as hell. i ordered new headset bearing so will install them tonight. riding my old trek with a stuffed BB shell today was interesting. i can feel the vertical movement of the crank but i can still ride it.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Rode to the lab this morning, had a little road rage at Belfield (punchbowl road) intersection. a big black mini truck driver spat those usual menu given to cyclists:
"get the F off the road, don't ride on peak hour,etc..."

just ignored him, but in my heart I wanted to yell back "you drivers use and pay for that F west-north-south Connex and leave the usual roads for Public transport and cyclists during peak hour then" seeing he was just a single occupant in that big car/truck

didn't want to waste my breath so kept going. As I was wearing a Hi viz jacket usually worn by those traffic controllers and construction workers, he didn't press more and then passed on the next lane.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:20 am

New head set bearing in and I'm back on my normal bike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:39 am

An ordinary enough commute, including the regular appearance of a tosser with a fragile little ego who MGIF - he was riding along at ~20 - I was doing ~30 so simply rolled on by - cue mad chase from MGIF but couldn't quite catch me. I stopped at a T junction to give way to cyclist on my right & car turning right. MGIF seized his chance to turn right, riding on the wrong side of the road straight at the other cyclist :roll:

When it was clear I turned right, & sure enough MGIF was just turning the pedals over at ~20. Again I was doing ~30 so once again I just rolled on by, cue mad chase from MGIF & this time he managed to squeeze out enough pace to get past me, so I decided to mess with his head & sit 2 or 3 meters back to see how long he could keep it up - 200m later he was flagging badly before turning off the bike path at the next opportunity.

Funnily enough its my regular commute & yes MGIF is a regular & this is his typical behaviour

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:11 pm

find_bruce wrote:Funnily enough its my regular commute & yes MGIF is a regular & this is his typical behaviour
say hello when you go by. watch the steam come out the ears

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:14 pm

jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Funnily enough its my regular commute & yes MGIF is a regular & this is his typical behaviour
say hello when you go by. watch the steam come out the ears
I just put the hammer down and drop them. I've got enough fitness to be able to ride away from most people and stay away.

I rarely see anyone else on my commute. I do 30km/h average speed on my commute though, that's with slow downs in busy areas and taking it cautious through corners. If someone can go faster, good on them.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:06 pm

jasonc wrote:say hello when you go by. watch the steam come out the ears
I'm a bit lippy so restricting myself to saying hello might be challenging :D
g-boaf wrote:I just put the hammer down and drop them. I've got enough fitness to be able to ride away from most people and stay away.

I rarely see anyone else on my commute. I do 30km/h average speed on my commute though, that's with slow downs in busy areas and taking it cautious through corners. If someone can go faster, good on them.
You know me, my average is a fair bit down on 30km/h & I am happy doing my own thing. There are plenty of people who are faster & some that are even slower & I don't care - my road bike is saved for the weekend & my commuter is deliberately "rugged" for value reliability rather than speed.

It's more that I am amused by this guys fragile little ego that can't handle the reality that he is slower than a fat bloke on a hybrid