How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

find_bruce

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Lizzy wrote:Started out in 8 celsius this morning, wasn't quite ready for that change in temp!
Jeepers that's cold ... for Perth :D
Lizzy wrote:I parked a spare Professor I had with me next to it for vigilance
& here was I thinking professors were good for nothing. You're a good egg Lizzy, & thanks for the laughs.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:35 pm

first commute of the year out of the way. woot.

almost got run off the M2 breakdown lane yesterday by 3 unmarked LandCruisers with siren and blinking red & blue lights.
Not sure what was happening 'cos on the other side (extreme right lane which is also a permanent bus lane), there were 2 other police vehicles (a prison transporter vehicle?) and what looked like a Bearcat tactical vehicle. Both were stuck behind a couple of Hills buses .. all 5 police vehicles were heading west.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 pm

Howling Northerly in my face on the way in, howling Southerly in my face on the way home.

Just not fair!

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:04 am

After awesome weather yesterday, sadly we're back to normal Brisbane weather. Drizzle and wet roads for the commute in

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Any complaints about the weather in Perth this morning would require a very negative attitude indeed. It's currently 23*C with a light south-easterly breeze, which was nice for some easy motivation up The Big Hill on the way to The Beach, and then The Shops on the way back. It was the Short Ride (<5km) again this proxy-Friday.

Traffic after 9am seems to be more considerate of cyclists once again today. As much as I like the early mornings, I don't feel all that inclined to test out the road-rage factor of the 07:30 peak-hour brigade anymore. Risking one's life is not something necessarily all that wise to do without good reason, and whether it is the new 1m-> rule or the more relaxed attitudes of car drivers after 9am is not a question which's answer is worth risking one's life for. It is proving to seem somewhat safer riding the same route after 9am this year than it was before 8am last year, before the 1m-> rule. This variable could easily change on the next ride though, so I'll keep the fingers crossed and be nice and slow around pedestrians on the bike tracks because they might have landcruisers with bullbars at home in the garage.

I hope the weather holds out another month or so. Have a good weekend, Happy Easter. :D
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:48 am

To the time-triallers regularly going too fast along the KCT and MYT, and giving stuff-all clearance when overtaking: it's a shared path, you idiots.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:45 pm

Actually, it was very nice. Wasn't real fast, but it was 32km over Belair Rd and Mt Osmond (585m ascent) and a cracking descent from Mt Osmond. Luverrly sunrise and nice and crisp meant I was glad I put on the arm warmers and toe covers. :-)

Then I got to work :-(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Arm warmers? Toe covers? But it's still summer. Wet again in Brisbane. Not cold

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:07 pm

jasonc wrote:Arm warmers? Toe covers? But it's still summer. Wet again in Brisbane. Not cold
Min temp 8, max was 12, with an average of 10.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:37 pm

MichaelB wrote:
jasonc wrote:Arm warmers? Toe covers? But it's still summer. Wet again in Brisbane. Not cold
Min temp 8, max was 12, with an average of 10.
Minimum this morning was 20. Apparent temp of 22

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:33 am

Not that nice in Auckland... Avg temp was 14 and sunny.
Have run out of working bikes so have been using the 29er to get to work this week. has been fun, rides have been direct and either downhill or flat so have been having fun with the road bikes... they dont like getting passed, more so with the big tires whirring away. I managed to stay ahead on Tuesday but yesterday got smashed by 1 guy and I still averaged over 31km/hr for the 13km commute.
extended this mornings ride but shoulder is sore now. hoping body has recovered enough next week to go home via some single tracks
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:50 am

Better than expected given I tried out with a swim squad last night for the first time in well over a decade and absolutely smashed myself due to peer pressure and eagerness to please :oops: I took it pretty easy this morning but still got to work within normal range of time.

The bike cage is misbehaving, now requires a shoulder-charge along with the punch-code because the snib-thinger keeps jumping past the strike plate and jamming itself when people leave the door to slam shut behind them (If anything it's slightly more secure this way).

Weather is pretty nice.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:53 am

Even though it's only been a 4 day working week, I have Friday legs... except I don't. My legs (particularly the thighs) are aching with every step I take, but simultaneously they feel really strong and I think I might push myself on the way home and see how quickly I can do it. My new longer commute is working out quite well for me.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Another perfect Friday morning here in the place they once dubbed the 'State of Excitement' around thirty years ago - Western Australia. It's 23*C again at 10:00am (GMT+8). Autumn has begun and Autumn is arguably the most heavenly season of all in Perth. There was some light rain overnight and early this morning, and the roads were still damp enough to corner with caution. The slightest zephyr of wind from the north-east - 11km/h according to Google. Perfect!

This morning's was The Long Ride (<10km) into town and back. I can feel the penance in my lungs for not having ridden anywhere further than the shop across the road since last Friday. The Big Hill was more painful on the lungs and calf muscles getting up it this morning than the comfortable rides I've enjoyed in the past month, and that was because I was riding two or three times a week, to The Beach for medicinal purposes, over the summer. That has been put on hold now, and the decline in aerobic fitness was noticable this morning.

It seems from this that exercise once a week is not enough to maintain aerobic fitness for your correspondent. He needs to ride The Big Hill at least twice a week to gain more strength and fitness.

The traffic was all quite friendly and uneventful heading into town this morning. One thing that occurred to me on the way up behind a bus stopped at a red light was that if I filter past the bus to get to the front of the queue at the lights, then that bus is only going to have to go past me again somewhere down the road, providing nobody wants to board or get off at the next stop or two, (and this morning no one did). Hence it seems more sensible for all concerned to hang back behind the bus in some circumstances at some red lights, so that the bus driver is not frustrated by having to pass the same cyclist repeatedly. It is not always advisable because buses will tend to stop unexpectedly at random bus stops, so sometimes it is necessary to pass the bus and just pedal as hard as possible to keep ahead of it when it resumes its route. There was good harmony between bus drivers and cyclists this morning and I hope to maintain that harmony. Think nice thoughts to bus drivers and hope that they think nice thoughts to cyclists back.

The top-front bracket on my carry box / rack snapped off the frame this morning, as I discovered on returning to the bike outside the supermarket. By the angle it was bent at, it makes me wonder if there was some malicious tampering whilst I was inside, but that is probably being a bit paranoid. It was more likely just that my own design was not robust enough to a carry 20kg load on a rack designed for a 5kg school bag with M5 screws and nuts.

I rode gently on the way home, slowing for bumps to reduce stress on the remaining bits of rack that were not snapped, because a broken rear rack flying apart down a hill could likely do some nasty tricks to costly stainless-steel spokes, not to mention the rider. The last stage, down The Big Hill, I opted for caution and rolled down the footpath until I got to my street and we made it home in one piece, so I am alive and well enough to spend the coming weekend thinking of a good way to fix the top-front bracket on the rear rack.

On the main road through town and back, there are 'interesting' speed humps. They are interesting to me because they are narrow enough so that a large sedan or truck has a wide enough track to pass over these speed humps with wheels either side, and not feel the jolt at all, but little cars don't have the width, so they have to ride at least one wheel over the humps. This is quite a fun game to play, because the little cars seem to have some vital need to race past me, only to then brake for the speed hump, so I then go past them again. They rarely try to pass me a second time, it seems.

On the road with those speed humps, there are large bicycle diagrams painted every few hundred metres, and I do not think that these are painted there to signify TO CYCLISTS that bicycles are permitted to ride on the road. No indeed, methinks that these bicycle signs are there to signify TO CAR DRIVERS to be respectful of cyclists and slow down to 30km between the speed humps, and not run over cyclists just trying to do the same thing as them without blowing toxic smog up into the sky; get from point A to point B. It was another little black one that stood out as the greatest offender this morning, passing me with 6" to spare, and then stamping on the brakes at the speed-hump, so I just cruised straight on by at a steady 30km/h as if they were just a bad dream. I am not having much luck with little black cars this year, it seems. The last three bad cars were all little black ones. Still, no arms nor legs broken in over six months. I guess I should be thankful.

Have a Great Weekend! :D

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 am

I got threatened by another cyclist this morning. :(

Riding along Nicholson St in East Melbourne, I was just sticking to the bike lane, riding at a consistent speed, when an impatient cyclist starts drafting me without asking me if I was OK with that. I did my best to ignore him, but when he overtook me so closely he barely missed me, I used my horn. He then stopped and we started discussing the incident. He was aggressive and threatening throughout the conversation.
I then rode past him, because as he took off, he managed to drop his chain off the chain rings. As I got near him, he swung his bike in my direction.

If that's his typical approach to conflict resolution, he'll eventually end up in an institution (mental and/or correctional). For everyone's sake, I hope he doesn't drive cars like he rides a bike.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:39 am

They are doing some roadworks at an intersection on my commute in, 2 lanes to 1 skinny lane with the speed limit dropping to 30. I normally take the lane but was a bit slow this morning as a car tried to do the impossible pass. had to slam the brakes on as the bumped past me and then he had to hit his brakes as the car in front of me was doing under 30 (I had been doing 30 but just backed off). 10mtrs up the road it went back to 2 lanes and I was able to pass the cars again... getting a bit tired of stupid drivers, moreso as I am still in pain from last months hit
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46 am

Sounds like I've got it easy after the last couple of accounts. The only thing that spoiled this morning's commute was the noises coming from the bike. Has a creak somewhere and I haven't been bothered to sort it out yet, the solution has been to use other bikes in preference.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 am

on a positive note... current average wind is over 50km/h with gusts over 70 and getting stronger as they day goes on ... lucky its a tail wind...

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:08 pm

A little cloudy and windy this morning. Legs were not happy due to BF kindly taking me for a delightful 11km grade-4 hike on Sunday, first one for the year. Yay/ow. I wondered if a ride might re-boot them, but it's not looking good so far :| My right quad and left ham both say "lol, nope" on staircases ... and the lift in my building is out, hoo-rah ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Last Friday it became apparent that 1 x 6-7km ride / week has proven ineffective regarding aerobic fitness maintenance or improvement for moi, so yesterday I made plans for a casual cruise around the nearer half of The Short Ride route to determine the local prices of selected pharmaceuticals and second-hand pulp-fiction this morning after peak hour was over, and then buy some groceries.

The Beach is out of season earlier than climatically necessary, I admit. It is just that the initial motivating medicinal purposes are now overcome, so The Beach is no more than spiritual benefit in exchange for the same cost in physical calories = financial dollars. It is not that big a motor, you see. I still have to pedal and that uses energy, and energy costs money, especially gluten-free energy. Every wasted calorie means a longer wait for the money to build the next bike. This is not a pleasure cruise anymore.

There needs be a careful balance between fitness and economics - volumetric efficiency in a holistic kind of way. Without the extra couple of kays from The Shop to The Beach and back though, The Short Ride becomes less of a short ride and more of a short hop. Not even enough to get the mojo working. The piece that fit that jigsaw best was to take a bit of a 'bike' stroll around the different shops up and down the main road and make The Condensed Short Ride worth the effort of putting the damn legislation on my head to begin with. Less calories, more action.

The season has indeed cooled this week, in a most pleasant and smooth manner. It is 20*C now at 11am (GMT+8), and there was a slight chill in the air at 8am, so even a tad prematurely, it seemed like a good time to unpack the winter clothes and don the two shirts, long pants, shoes & socks and become re-acquainted again after the long mild summer. No chills going out cold. Too much cotton coming home warm, but not long enough to make the head spin on such a short ride of around 3km excluding the footpath expedition. Long pants, shoes, socks and The Beach do not comply with my understanding of implicit simplicity anyway, besides I wouldn't put my fresh broccoli & sliced-mushroom in the same plastic box where I just stashed my shoes. It's just asking for bad luck, IYKWIM?

There was only one minor example of bad luck on the way back home. Nothing all that frightening, probably 300mm to spare when it sped past, mostly in the left lane with not another car in sight in the right lane behind us. The 'little black car' hat trick is trucked. This one was a little metallic green car, but it was not as bad as the little black car last Friday. Six inches is ten times more frightening than twelve.

It was just driver stupidity because there was a whole lotta road out there this morning, and they didn't need to pass so close when I was right up against the kerb on a dual-carriageway. One wonders if they were making a political statement? Other than that one, everything else smooth and friendly. Friendly drivers. Friendly pedestrians. Not a single bus either way today, which is a first for me in this neighbourhood. Maybe they're on strike again?
Happy Tuesday! :)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Some idiot (BMW SUV, bit of a cliche really, idiot in a stupid vehicle) was honking me as I rode on Beach Rd in the middle of my lane. Usual commute I suppose.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Flat tyre on the way home today.

Also also caught up to a bloke and started to have a chat. Turned out he was the one who took my KOM the other week lol.
So here we were, two strangers cruising through a segment having a chat about the segment when he told me he holds #1. I go ahead and said some bugger took it from me the other week! ha ha.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:31 pm

Turned up the wick this arvo as I was a bit late to meet someone at home. I’m a bit out of condition so it wasn’t real fast, but more than I planned for. Waited for about 15 when I got home for him to arrive :evil:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:59 am

After over 3 years of use, the left pedal spring no longer does so meaning the cleat does not hold firmly in the pedal. I bought new pedal bodies last year. After a few goes at getting the tension right (or close enough), it was back operational this morning. The other pedal feels crappy in comparison of course

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:27 am

Winter has arrived with 6c this morning.. had physio yesterday so used motorbike instead...was a lot warmer with heat off engine and heated grips... something that I laughed at when the salesman sold me the motorbike in Brisbane