The "Excuses" Thread

RyanA

Re: The "Excuses" Thread

Postby RyanA » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:16 am

I woke up this morning to the sound of gusty wind and rain (SE Melbourne); hit the snooze.
I'll rearrange my days this week to try to fill the weekly quota to make it up.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 am

Did ATB Sorrento return yesterday. Couldn't be bothered getting ride to work gear sorted out last night as I was too busy stuffing my face.

Come to think of it, don't think I've stopped eating for more than an hour since I finished.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 am

Have to bring a saw today at work so no commute this morning :(

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:58 pm

Lately been driving too much, but Bunnings is v close to work (close enough for a 20-25min round trip at lunch including purchasing). I've been picking up bits n pieces for renovations as I need them. Some stuff I could carry on bike :? Looking forward to Wednesday ride to work day though.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:04 am

No commute today; I've got to pick up a beehive from a place near my work this afternoon and didn't feel like lugging that home on the bike.
Will definitely be riding tomorrow and Thurs though, and looking forward to it too - the weather is looking glorious!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Was planning to go in to work for 1/2 day today - my little boy had an orientation session this morning for starting school next year. I looked at the wind & rain & said stuff it, I can work from home today

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:34 am

2nd time in 8 weeks that I have had to drive to work.

My wife said no to riding home in 41 degree heat.

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:54 am

I was going to try and make it a 5 day commuting week this week, but waking up to the gusty headwind and rain made me change my mind... :(
Maybe I'll try again next week; It's a milestone I hope to reach by years end!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:46 am

Yesterday was too hot, today is too wet & too cold - I have obviously gone soft over christmas. Maybe I should ask a mod to change my handle to golidlocks

westab

Postby westab » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:Yesterday was too hot, today is too wet & too cold - I have obviously gone soft over christmas. Maybe I should ask a mod to change my handle to golidlocks
But tomorrow will be just right :mrgreen: - I was tempted this morning to take the car too. Gone soft - nope - just got smart as they were horrible conditions.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:47 pm

50-60klm winds forecast for Sunny Coast this weekend. I can feel an excuse coming on.... unless I can locate a very suitable Strava Segment ha ha.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Change of job locations so had to bring everything in in the car so no riding on my first day back from leave.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Change of job locations so had to bring everything in in the car so no riding on my first day back from leave.
Mate you don't want to strain anything in the first week so maybe you should drive this week and only do a 2km loop near home to get the flexibility back. (I am not at all thinking of myself in the commuting challenge :roll: :roll: :wink: )

I have to go to my Mum & Dads tonight so I have asked Mrs Westab to pick me up from work as there are a couple of pinch points that are a bit hairy in peak hour traffic - the way around them is an extra 15km and I have a long week ahead. No riding tonight. :oops:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Pushbike, motorbike, pushbike , motorbike , motorbike.....yeah alright...motorbike won :mrgreen:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:51 pm

westab wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Change of job locations so had to bring everything in in the car so no riding on my first day back from leave.
Mate you don't want to strain anything in the first week so maybe you should drive this week and only do a 2km loop near home to get the flexibility back. (I am not at all thinking of myself in the commuting challenge :roll: :roll: :wink: )

I have to go to my Mum & Dads tonight so I have asked Mrs Westab to pick me up from work as there are a couple of pinch points that are a bit hairy in peak hour traffic - the way around them is an extra 15km and I have a long week ahead. No riding tonight. :oops:
Might have to go the long way tomorrow :D :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
westab wrote:

Might have to go the long way tomorrow :D :D
Dr Google prescribes a cup o concrete & see you in the morning :D

dej

Postby dej » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:37 pm

It's been 3 weeks since i commuted:(
Started a new job 2 weeks ago. They told me contractors cant use the showers/change rooms but i could probably get access to the bike cage.
Checked bike cage during the week, couldnt get in..couldnt get into the change rooms either
5 months and 2 weeks of this contract left!

i'll have to increase the weekend rides and maybe go after work for a ride around the burbs just to keep the legs going

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:39 pm

dej wrote:It's been 3 weeks since i commuted:(
Started a new job 2 weeks ago. They told me contractors cant use the showers/change rooms but i could probably get access to the bike cage.
Checked bike cage during the week, couldnt get in..couldnt get into the change rooms either

i'll have to increase the weekend rides and maybe go after work for a ride around the burbs just to keep the legs going
I'm sure after a few days of sweaty pong, they might reconsider letting you use the showers? Surely it's not that big an issue for them! Are they worried you're going to destroy the place or something?

dej

Postby dej » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:47 am

RyanA wrote:
dej wrote:It's been 3 weeks since i commuted:(

I'm sure after a few days of sweaty pong, they might reconsider letting you use the showers? Surely it's not that big an issue for them! Are they worried you're going to destroy the place or something?
No idea really, it's an odd place
My reaction to them saying i could use the bike cage but not change rooms was 'Say What? why would you want me sitting around in bike clothes all day?'
They didnt have an answer apart from 'Thats just the rules'

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:36 pm

Rode home in 42 degrees yesterday, survived, but figured I'd give myself a day off today. Back into it tomorrow though.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:21 pm

Tuesday is my day off. Forecast for 45 tomorrow. Missus has said no ride.

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:55 am

Snapped my chain this morning as I was putting down the power out of my driveway. I couldn't be bothered fixing it at the time, so I drove in. I regretted that decision within about 5 km. I hate traffic so much. I'll fix the chain tonight.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:59 am

RyanA wrote:Snapped my chain this morning as I was putting down the power out of my driveway. I couldn't be bothered fixing it at the time, so I drove in. I regretted that decision within about 5 km. I hate traffic so much. I'll fix the chain tonight.
Fix the chain, and assemble a spare bike ;) I've used that a few times. Plan to ride bike A. bike A has a problem requiring maintenance, return to base and ride bike B or C or...
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:59 am

bychosis wrote:
RyanA wrote:Snapped my chain this morning as I was putting down the power out of my driveway. I couldn't be bothered fixing it at the time, so I drove in. I regretted that decision within about 5 km. I hate traffic so much. I'll fix the chain tonight.
Fix the chain, and assemble a spare bike ;) I've used that a few times. Plan to ride bike A. bike A has a problem requiring maintenance, return to base and ride bike B or C or...
N+1 is always the solution

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:20 am

I suppose I could have taken the MTB with a quick pedal swap... Might take an extra 10 mins or so due to rolling resistance. I'll keep it in mind for next time.