Backpack/Pannier/Saddlebag?

Baalzamon

Re: Backpack/Pannier/Saddlebag?

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:46 pm

I operate either a single pannier or a Carradice camper longflap depending on which bike I'm taking to work. The carradice sits behind my legs, and I can zip along very nicely. The pannier mounted drive side as others have said ensures I get given more room.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:35 pm

I bought a pair of front panniers.

I use them on the rear. I don't have a lot of stuff to carry and there is no chance of pannier suck or heel strike.

I have two bikes that I use them on, both are mounted on the right side.

I use a shopping bag inside them, so when I get to work I just pull the whole inner bag out and leave the pannier on the bike. The inner bag, routine makes it easier to do a last minute bike change.

Cheers,

Cameron

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:45 pm

I think pannier is the best, Big space and the weight is on the bike. That said, choose carefully, have a good rack and strong wheel/tyres. I own 3 ortlieb panniers and a trailer, but usually just use one ortlieb pannier on the rear rack.

Good pannier, wheels and racks are a must, as panniers that aren't strong and waterproof can be easily damaged and get stuck with your wheel, racks that don't cover the wheel and aren't strong are also a problem, and wheels should also be strong enough to support the whole weight of the bike, you and the pannier load.

mindfulwheels

Postby mindfulwheels » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 am

Last edited by mindfulwheels on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:44 pm

mindfulwheels wrote:Heya guys,

I'm eyeing the Henty Wingman (with hi-vis cover which I'd probably put on every day just for safety), as I definitely want a backpack which I'll also use for running to work too.

Any comments on the shoulder strap henty wingman these days - is it basically the best one around?
Don't know, I'm just using the backpacks I get each year from the organisers of the Haute Route events. They are pretty simple but take a surprisingly large amount of stuff in them. I've got a couple of them already, probably get a couple more this year.

I also have a proper Specialized backpack that is intended for bike commuting but it isn't nearly as useful as those other ones I mentioned.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am

I've commuted with my work laptop this week, using my backpack. I wouldn't want to subject it to the vibrations of a pannier mounted to the frame, I can survive the sweaty back to provide some shock absorption for my computer.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Mububban wrote:I've commuted with my work laptop this week, using my backpack. I wouldn't want to subject it to the vibrations of a pannier mounted to the frame, I can survive the sweaty back to provide some shock absorption for my computer.
egad! never thought of that.
been commuting with notebook in my pannier bag lately. notebook is wrapped in a large bubblewrap envelope (the ones you sometimes get when ordering products online)

i used to pack it in my backpack but I would dread to use the backpack during this heatwave ..

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm

caneye wrote: egad! never thought of that.
been commuting with notebook in my pannier bag lately. notebook is wrapped in a large bubblewrap envelope (the ones you sometimes get when ordering products online)

i used to pack it in my backpack but I would dread to use the backpack during this heatwave ..
It's probably not so bad now with SSDs rather than mechanical hard drives, but still, I can handle the sweat for a 30 minute ride but realise others can't stand it :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 pm

I'd definitely go for a laptop in a pannier, but then I'm firmly of the view that the bike should be loaded with any weight, not the rider. Never use a back pack on a bike.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Boris Johnson seems to get by with a backpack, probably stuffed with heavy brexit plans, nice beanie too
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-16/ ... 1/10719844
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:00 pm

I started commuting on a flatbar with a backpack.
I did get sick of the sweaty back, so I added pannier racks to the flatbar, and bought expensive Ortlieb bags.
They were nice, but then I stopped needing to carry a laptop around.
So I went back to a backpack.
Then I upgraded the bike to drop bars.
I get sweaty regardless of backpack or not, and I don't carry that much in the backpack.
It all comes down to personal preference.
There is no right or wrong, the best solution for you is the one that helps you enjoy the ride.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:24 am

I only transport my laptop in a backpack, cycle every day and use the ortlieb varia which has performed very well for over 8 years.

No sweaty back as it has a great design and harness. A laptop needs another case inside and it could be thinner / compacter... but it is hard to find another brand and model bag with such comfortable straps.
Cycling is in my BNA