Commuting from caringbah to central

Bargeworth

Commuting from caringbah to central

Postby Bargeworth » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:53 am

Hi all,

Just joined up and i did search the forum for similar questions.

I'm living at caringbah now and want to start commuting into work which is just next to central station. I used to commute from Cronulla to North Sydney but that was a few years and many kg ago. I know I'll need to drop into my LBS as well but I wanted to also get a General opinion:

1. I currently have a 2011 avanti blade 2.0. It hasn't been used for a while now but it was always maintained well so is still in decent nick. Do you think it would be worthwhile getting it fixed up (there's a couple broken spokes and would need a major service at the least) or should i just invest in some new wheels given the age of the bike now?

2. My old commute was outside of peak hours so i used to take the princes highway. Thinking that might be a little dicey during peak hours? Any thoughts or links to better routes would be appreciated.

3. Those of you that commute from caringbah/ Cronulla to the city, how long does it take you?

I've put on a stack of weight so main goal is dropping those kgs and getting fitter.

Thanks in advance :)
JB

RobertL

Re: Commuting from caringbah to central

Postby RobertL » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:56 pm

I'm in Brisbane, so I can't help you with commuting advice in Sydney, but I'd suggest that it would be cheapest and easiest just to get those spokes fixed and give it a service.

If the wheels really need replacing, then the bike shop can tell you that. However, wheels can last a long time, so I bet that yours can be resurrected easily.

Of course, I can't recommend a good bike shop in your area either...

Bargeworth

Postby Bargeworth » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks Robert. Sorry, i meant new bike as in 'new wheels' but i think you're right. I'll take it to my LBS for a service and spokes and see how it goes

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Traffic on Princess Highway is probably going to be a bit heavy, but on the plus side it probably won't be going fast. I have always found Princess Highway a bit sketchy outside of peak times with too many close shaves.

I'd probably start by going over Capt Cook bridge, up the beach side path, around the airport & up Bourke Rd - easy enough route until you build your fitness back up. One of my extended commutes joins Airport Dr at Cooks River.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Bargeworth

Postby Bargeworth » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:08 am

Thanks Bruce

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Whilst I don't commute I've ridden to/from both areas quite a bit.

From Caringbah get onto the cycle path where practical from your starting point and, as find_bruce suggested, across Captain Cook Bridge. Now this next section is one of my least favourite sections of any cycle path I've ever ridden; winding, uneven surface and plenty of 'obstructions' along the way up to Kyeemagh. More direct and perhaps not too dangerous would be Clareville Ave, Chuter Ave, Crawford Rd & Francis Ave, meeting the path again at Bestic St. From there follow the path to and then along Airport Drive, Coward St, Bourke Rd then finally George St through Redfern and Prince Alfred Park, right next to Central!

I can ride Blakehurst to Prince Alfred in exactly 1hr on an MTB. It's fairly good going for most of the way, and then stop-start waiting for lights around Wyndham St/Botany Rd until you're into Redfern.

No doubt you'll fine-tune the route when you get fitter and more confident on the roads!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Bargeworth

Postby Bargeworth » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. That's great. Gives me a good starting point and, as you say, ill be able to find tune the route as i go. Put the bike in the workshop tks weekend to pick up during the week then ill get cycling after a dry run next weekend. Cheers guys!