Setting up for commuting

Sirrus

Setting up for commuting

Postby Sirrus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi I am hoping some of you guys and gals can give me some tips.
I am about to start commuting daily to work. I will leave at 6am and have a 5km ride to train station. Once off the train I have a 10km ride to work.

I already have lights, cycling clothes and wet weather gear.

Bike is a specialized sectuer and has flat pedals. Any insights into the clip on front fenders or should I be looking for something more substantial? http://www.99bikes.com.au/fender-axiom-frontrunner
How about the rear fenders that attatch to the seatpost?

What are the recommendations for shoes? Currently I just wear my runners but I don't believe they'll be very warm as the mornings get colder and wetter.

Thanks
Sirrus

Thoglette

Re: Setting up for commuting

Postby Thoglette » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:26 pm

The biggest mudguards you can fit are the go. If you can, this is what you're looking for
Image (From the velo orange blog)

A little tricky to achieve on the secteur but you can get close with p-clips. At least you've got some room between the rear wheel and the seat post. There's tweeks you can use (here and here) to make more clearance

Even then a change of shoes & socks at the train station (and a waterproof bag for the wet ones) may be needed, depending how long the train trip is (my experience is that you can get quite cold if wet on the train). Which leads to the question of: how wet are you going to get? If you don't keep the water out, you'll get wet. If you ride fast, you will sweat and get wet.

p.s. A clear shower cap over your helmet is useful to reduce the amount of water (or snow) on your head.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 pm

I run SKS Raceblade mud guards and they're OK, but not amazing.

PROs:
Quickly removable
Light
Do a pretty good job of reducing spray

CONs:
Because they're light and flexible it's critical to position them just right or they will bounce around and rub on the tyres
Toe overlap
No guard on the front of the front wheel so there is still spray up from there.

As for shoes, I just run mid-flex mtb shoes and shimano SPD pedals. If the soles are too stiff then they're no good for walking through the station, but if they're full on casual shoes then they're not great for riding long distances in so it's a compromise. Road shoes are invariably too stiff and slippery.

In terms of dealing with wet weather, this combination works just fine combined with insulated shoe covers. I have only been properly uncomfortable on the train once or twice in the middle of winter on the 6am train because I've been under-dressed. To survive the cold, aside from the obvious, I recommend a buff. There's also no shame in wearing arm warmers underneath a long sleeve jersey

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 pm

I've got a shimano commuter shoes with SPD pedals. like what march83 mentioned above, the shoes are more comfortable and not as stiff as road shoes. in fact, i can wear them the whole day (especially on a casual friday) without colleagues noticing that they're cycling shoes.

insulated shoe covers (for really cold starts, eg <5C) or toe warmers for anything above that.

oh, have a look at removable BarFly fender:

https://www.bikebug.com/bar-fly-rain-fl ... 50171.html

you still get some splatter when riding at high speed but for commuting speeds, i think it should be ok.

main thing is to start commuting ASAP and deal with the winter gear when the time comes. don't overthink it for now :)

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:22 pm

caneye wrote: main thing is to start commuting ASAP and deal with the winter gear when the time comes. don't overthink it for now :)
Yeah, this is important. Get started, figure out what you need to change on the run.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:31 pm

A lot of it is trial and error.

To get from where I was in 2008 as a first time commuter on a Hybrid bike to where I am now with a dedicated Titanium CX based commuter was quite a journey, and even after all this time I have tweaked the setup in the latest rebuild.

I say just ride and find out what works for you.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Welcome to the bike+train club! What city? I've been doing it in Adelaide off and on for years, and regularly for the last 4 years.

I don't think I've ever once got cold feet while cycling; though I try to avoid cycling when I know I'm going to get wet. (My policy is don't ride if it's raining in the morning, but take a chance if it's clear in the morning but forecast to rain in the evening).

I find I have to do a bit of walking in and out of the stations, so my ordinary sneakers work well.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:39 am

queequeg wrote:
I say just ride and find out what works for you.
Yep. It's supposed to be enjoyable :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:I don't think I've ever once got cold feet while cycling; though I try to avoid cycling when I know I'm going to get wet. (My policy is don't ride if it's raining in the morning, but take a chance if it's clear in the morning but forecast to rain in the evening)
I find my extremities get cold, particularly feet. A pair of neoprene shoe covers makes a world of difference for me in keeping toes warm. Maybe it’s just my shoes don’t have enough protection, but that also means they breathe better when it’s hot. The neoprene helps a bit with water protection, but they aren’t really waterproof.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 am

yeah, the shoe thing, there's night and day difference between a pair of non-breathable shoes like a typical pair of commuter shoes compared to highly breathable XC/road shoes so when someone says their feet get cold it could just be that they're at one end of the scale or the other.

Similarly, socks make a heap of difference so it's not so black or white. Just do what you need to do to be comfortable.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:33 am

bychosis wrote: I find my extremities get cold, particularly feet. A pair of neoprene shoe covers makes a world of difference for me in keeping toes warm. Maybe it’s just my shoes don’t have enough protection, but that also means they breathe better when it’s hot. The neoprene helps a bit with water protection, but they aren’t really waterproof.
Get two plastic shopping bags, put one over each shoe, wrap it neatly then put the neoprene shoe cover over the top.

You now have an almost totally waterproof shoe cover.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:47 pm

I've abandoned wet weather gear, because I just get too sweaty. I cycle in cycling gear (which for me just means shirt and shorts; for others that means lycra) and I ensure my bag is waterproof so my work clothes don't get wet. (On wet days I put the work clothes in a plastic garbage bag, which I put inside my carry bag).

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Best thing I got for commuting was a set of full length mudguards like SKS Longboard. Front keeps your feet dry when there is light rain / puddles, and stops spray in your face when its pouring. The rear guard keeps all the muck off my pack / back, and I think its better for those behind me.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:I've abandoned wet weather gear, because I just get too sweaty. I cycle in cycling gear (which for me just means shirt and shorts; for others that means lycra) and I ensure my bag is waterproof so my work clothes don't get wet. (On wet days I put the work clothes in a plastic garbage bag, which I put inside my carry bag).
I bought myself a cheap rain jacket, but I hardly ever use it because of the sweatiness factor. There are some cycling jerseys that seem to keep riders dry, without getting too sweaty. The best ones seem to use the Gore Active fabric. However, it's very expensive so I wonder whether it would be worth splashing out and getting one and then using it more than I use my cheap one.

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm going to buy a gabba jersey this winter. I'm a 100% rain, hail or shine commuter so I figure I should have the right gear...

Also, I discovered a few weeks back that my food dehydrator makes for an excellent shoe dryer after very wet days

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think ill suck it and see. For now I will manage with what I have and add things as I see fit. I can already tell ill need a cycling backpack to prevent the sweaty back and a better light.

I'll stop by the bike shop next week and check out the full length fenders. I have a hybrid bike(sirrus) also so may upgrade that for wet weather duties to save the sectuer from going full daggy looking.
bychosis wrote: I find my extremities get cold, particularly feet. A pair of neoprene shoe covers makes a world of difference for me in keeping toes warm. Maybe it’s just my shoes don’t have enough protection, but that also means they breathe better when it’s hot. The neoprene helps a bit with water protection, but they aren’t really waterproof.
So far i haven't had cold feet yet but i get the feeling with a bit of rain that will change. Plus the morning temps are around 13deg once it drops to 5deg I think it will change too.
caneye wrote: main thing is to start commuting ASAP and deal with the winter gear when the time comes. don't overthink it for now :)
I have cycled all three work days this week and it been harder than expected. I will drive tomorrow to let the legs rest.
I work as a welder so its very physical so I gotta be careful not to over do it too quickly.
AdelaidePeter wrote: Welcome to the bike+train club! What city? I've been doing it in Adelaide off and on for years, and regularly for the last 4 years.
In Melbourne and fortunately for me 13km out of 15km is all cycle path and the train leg is opposite direction to peak so its nice and quiet on the train.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:38 am

Sirrus wrote: In Melbourne and fortunately for me 13km out of 15km is all cycle path and the train leg is opposite direction to peak so its nice and quiet on the train.
Just a question to compare melb to perth peak hour train rules. In perth bikes are not allowed on trains going toward perth in peak hour. Are bikes allowed on trains going toward melbourne in peak hour? Thx.

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 am

twowheels wrote:
Sirrus wrote: In Melbourne and fortunately for me 13km out of 15km is all cycle path and the train leg is opposite direction to peak so its nice and quiet on the train.
Just a question to compare melb to perth peak hour train rules. In perth bikes are not allowed on trains going toward perth in peak hour. Are bikes allowed on trains going toward melbourne in peak hour? Thx.
In Melbourne/Vic we have 2 network providers, Metro trains and regional trains(Vline) which are more a country service. For the Metro network I am not sure. Those trains are usually packed in like sardine cans so I would not be suprised if bikes weren't allowed.

I catch a regional train(from Melbourne outer suburbs) which travels away from the city. These trains actually have provisions to store your bike on the train.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 am

Sirrus wrote: So far i haven't had cold feet yet but i get the feeling with a bit of rain that will change. Plus the morning temps are around 13deg once it drops to 5deg I think it will change too.
Yeah, I don't really have any dramas until it gets below about 8deg. I'm shorts all year, but when it gets below 10 it's time for a base layer, wind jacket and shoe covers and some decent gloves.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 am

bychosis wrote:
Sirrus wrote: So far i haven't had cold feet yet but i get the feeling with a bit of rain that will change. Plus the morning temps are around 13deg once it drops to 5deg I think it will change too.
Yeah, I don't really have any dramas until it gets below about 8deg. I'm shorts all year, but when it gets below 10 it's time for a base layer, wind jacket and shoe covers and some decent gloves.
Do you ever bother with leg warmers? I think they'd be ok for the first 5 minutes to help warm up but then again I've never felt cold in the legs.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 am

Sirrus wrote: I have cycled all three work days this week and it been harder than expected. I will drive tomorrow to let the legs rest.
I work as a welder so its very physical so I gotta be careful not to over do it too quickly.
In Melbourne and fortunately for me 13km out of 15km is all cycle path and the train leg is opposite direction to peak so its nice and quiet on the train.
There's no shame in only cycling some days. And 30km total is a pretty decent amount, especially on a work day.

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:57 am

bychosis wrote:
Do you ever bother with leg warmers? I think they'd be ok for the first 5 minutes to help warm up but then again I've never felt cold in the legs.

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:59 am

AdelaidePeter wrote: There's no shame in only cycling some days. And 30km total is a pretty decent amount, especially on a work day.
Hopefully as my fitness improves I will be able to ride everyday as our plan is to sell both our cars and upgrade to a new one for the wife and kids.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:11 pm

Sirrus wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:There's no shame in only cycling some days. And 30km total is a pretty decent amount, especially on a work day.
Hopefully as my fitness improves I will be able to ride everyday as our plan is to sell both our cars and upgrade to a new one for the wife and kids.
There's also no shame in using a Taxi when needs must. Just the rego alone gives you a whack load of taxi fares. And that's before insurance, servicing or depreciation.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 pm

I found the first 2-3 months of commuting really hard but I was coming off a long time without any exercise. The first couple of weeks were fine but the buildup of fatigue was the real killer! Once your body adapts to the exercise it becomes easier. Just pace yourself into it.

WIth the gear, warmth is the main thing. I gave up on rain gear during the warmer months because you just end up sweating like a pig. I do wear a rain jacket during the cooler months more for warmth. If it is raining I might take an extra jersey and socks but not, oddly enough, knicks.

The one thing I have found useful - although their durability isn't great - are velotoes which are waterproof shoe covers. A bit of a PITA to get off and on but you do stay dry and they trap heat.