Training schedule help needed

marty_one

Training schedule help needed

Postby marty_one » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi All,

As of this sunday I am about 25 weeks out from a triathlon that I will be entering. I am hopeful that 25 weeks will be enough for me to train (i really struggle with my fitness and it takes longer than normal for me to increase it). I am looking on triathlete specific websites for training plans and I am trying to put together my own training plan based around my free time. One thing I am wondering should I do specific activities on specific days (IE: Monday=Run, Tuesday=Swim, Wednesday=Ride, etc....)?
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

moosterbounce

Re: Training schedule help needed

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:25 pm

What race are you doing mate?

Training schedule is hard to come up with without knowing what your limitations are.

Base line tends to be 3 of each discipler each week working up from there.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 pm

im looking at doing the last race of the gatorade triathlon series (run by supersprint). which is a 750m swim, 5km run, 20km ride. I am capable of doing the distances individually. What I am wondering is, would I achieve a better result if I can maintain a regular weekly training schedule (ie: doing the same activity on the same day of week, as mentioned in my first post)?

Once I have sorted out my schedule I will be concentrating on form and technique and then moving on to increasing my pace. Currently each swim session is around 1km (with breaks but working on that), my run distance is around 5.5km with walking recoveries (again working on this), and my cycling I can easily do around 70km (just not as fast as I would like, so far my longest ride is 115km).
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Marty,
As long as you're getting your minimum number of sessions per activity per week (as mentioned by Toolish) you should be fine. Which day shouldn't matter as long as you're getting adequate rest for your muscle groups.

I'm relatively new to triathlons as well, but I've found going out and getting distance into your legs/arms is one thing, but more structured training is better. Training at lactate threshold and simulating race conditions is what you want. Your swimming is likely at lactate threshold, but a typical 100km weekend ride is likely to do less for you than say a 40km interval session - you may want to google some interval training sessions? Similarly with running. And try at least one "brick session" per week i.e. run straight after cycle.

Have fun :)

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks for the confirmation of what I was thinking vbplease. I checked out the Knox Tri website last night, for what services are offered and how cheap it is, it's almost worth while joining just for the coaching and training sessions.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

Matthews

Postby Matthews » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I Use Beginner Triathlon for my programs etc. Very good and lots of helpful members. And with the distances that you are doing already you will be miles ahead.