first bike for triathlon

ethancheah

first bike for triathlon

Postby ethancheah » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 am

Hi, I am getting a road bike for my first triathlon next year, so would like to get some advices.

My friend is currently offering me a 2011 Giant TCR 2 (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-in/bik ... 243/46871/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for $250. He hasn't touched his bike for quite a while, but the bike is still in working condition. The frame size is right for my height though the stem is slightly longer for me. I was wondering whether I would be better off getting a new bike instead (I am currently looking at Giant Defy 3 or 4, or any suggestion you have).

The price for the secondhand bike is really attractive, since I'm still a Uni student, so I really have limited budget.

Thank you and I'm really looking forward to getting into triathlon! :)

Derny Driver

Re: first bike for triathlon

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:28 am

Get the TCR mate. Change the stem for a shorter one.
I picked up a similar spec bike secondhand for my son a few years ago, aluminium frame, Tiagra 9 speed and it was great. He was time-trialling at an average speed of 39kph on it with just some clip on bars. Used it for 3 years and it never missed a beat. Great entry level bike at a good price. Go for it.
I did 3 years of triathlons and they are heaps of fun. Good luck!

ethancheah

Postby ethancheah » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:17 am

Derny Driver wrote:Get the TCR mate. Change the stem for a shorter one.
I picked up a similar spec bike secondhand for my son a few years ago, aluminium frame, Tiagra 9 speed and it was great. He was time-trialling at an average speed of 39kph on it with just some clip on bars. Used it for 3 years and it never missed a beat. Great entry level bike at a good price. Go for it.
I did 3 years of triathlons and they are heaps of fun. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice :D

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:43 pm

+1 to get the 2nd hand TCR. It is good value for money and a good place to start. If you get hooked on tris, you will upgrade to a race specific bike soon enough (does not matter if you started with the TCR or a Defy 3)

Also first purchase should be some clip on bars

ethancheah

Postby ethancheah » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:59 pm

nickobec wrote:+1 to get the 2nd hand TCR. It is good value for money and a good place to start. If you get hooked on tris, you will upgrade to a race specific bike soon enough (does not matter if you started with the TCR or a Defy 3)

Also first purchase should be some clip on bars
cool! thanks for that mate