Tri suit / top+pants, what to get??

Widget

Tri suit / top+pants, what to get??

Postby Widget » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:11 am

Hey guys,

Wanting to do a few Triathlons this season, however, I just need to get some clothing to do them in. I dont have a wet suit, hopefully I dont need one, but was certainly looking at those two piece tri top + bottom outfits rather than the one piece solution.

now.. I have absolutely no idea of what I need or what I should get. Im not rolling in funds at the moment so was looking at more of a value for money range rather than big name brand top dollar stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should look for?

Im wanting something that I can do all 3, swim+bike+run, in.

Thanks in advance :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Tri suit / top+pants, what to get??

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:40 am

Tri suit. What size are you? I have two sitting in my cupboard not doing anything since I can't swim. This was meant to be my motivation to swim, but ...thalassaphobia.

Widget

Postby Widget » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:38 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Tri suit. What size are you? I have two sitting in my cupboard not doing anything since I can't swim. This was meant to be my motivation to swim, but ...thalassaphobia.
hey bigfriendlyvegan, not sure on size, will have to measure. I only know im 170cm tall and about 80kg (but wanting to get down to 70-75kg). What brand/model trisuit do you have there? I can probably check their website and compare measurements.

Shame about your phobia :/ , had to look it up. I reckon I'd know the feeling of it though, ocean swim looks fun, but kinda creepy not being able to see underwater.. that would freak me out :/

Hopefully you can overcome it sometime and get into some Triathlons, does look like a lot of fun.

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:45 am

What distance races are you doing? Shorter course stuff (Sprint to Standard) the full suit tends to be the favoured option. Long course (70.3 and up) a lot of people opt for 2 piece as it allows for easier nature calls and the like.

If you're going to do any training in it as well two piece is a bit more manageable as well. A lot of 2 piece kit also have thicker padding in the bottoms, again, due to their being favoured for long course events.

So far I've gone with a one piece - I prefer not to have the top riding up and it feels better swimming. If you want pockets make sure you hunt around too as not all brands have them on their race suits.

Depending on your size, you might be able to pick up something ok from the 2XU outlet (http://www.2xu.com/au/outlet/?lang=en_AU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - or you could have a hunt around on the various online stores, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, etc who all set tri gear.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

Widget

Postby Widget » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks JdM :), at this stage, I'm going to start out with Sprint distance, maybe even upto olympic. I do want to do a 70.3 and Full IM in the future, but for now, maybe the shorter distances.

I've read a few posts from google with people suggesting the tri suit, but always though it would look/feel a bit weird. i might check those out too.

As for training, I've just got cheap stretchy shorts/tights that I use to run in and riding, just a cheap pair of bike shorts and normal shorts over the top.. though I dont do a great deal of rising.. I really should though.

Ill have another browse through the online stores, see what I can find.. will have to check out the 2XU factory outlet, see if the prices are good.. though always found 2XU expensive.. not sure if hey a more costly than they're worth??

Thanks again :)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:36 pm

Ask on the Transitions triathlon forum too. Really nice people on there too. Someone will help you out with something, or point you in the right direction.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:31 am

The two I have here are jaggad xxl sized ones, if anyone is interested. They fit me at 190cm and 84kg.

JdM

Postby JdM » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:11 am

I'd go 1 piece suit if I were you then if you're starting with short course. Better to swim in too.

As for looking weird, pretty much everyone at a race will be wearing them, so you'll blend. No different to being in cycling kit on the bike.

If I'm training bike/run I'll usually wear a cycle jersey over the top of my suit and take it off when I run.

Wiggle probably the best bet.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

Widget

Postby Widget » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks guys :)
Derny Driver wrote:Ask on the Transitions triathlon forum too. Really nice people on there too. Someone will help you out with something, or point you in the right direction.
Done :) .. they do seem like pretty decent people, and pretty helpful too. Thanks for the suggestion :)
JdM wrote:I'd go 1 piece suit if I were you then if you're starting with short course. Better to swim in too.

As for looking weird, pretty much everyone at a race will be wearing them, so you'll blend. No different to being in cycling kit on the bike.

If I'm training bike/run I'll usually wear a cycle jersey over the top of my suit and take it off when I run.

Wiggle probably the best bet.
I guess that's true. ill have a scout around for the suits too.. see if I can find something that looks alright :)

Thanks again guys, much appreciated :)

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:55 am

I trained for my first sprint in a two piece (picked it up super cheap at a 2xu clearance thing) but raced in a one piece which i found far more comfortable.

Dont worry about looks, plenty of people racing in suits, two pieces, footy shorts and singlets, budgie smugglers and crop tops, you name it - someone has tried to do a triathlon in one.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:00 pm

Widget wrote:Thanks guys :)
Derny Driver wrote:Ask on the Transitions triathlon forum too. Really nice people on there too. Someone will help you out with something, or point you in the right direction.
Done :) .. they do seem like pretty decent people, and pretty helpful too. Thanks for the suggestion :)
:)
Yes nice people and a good forum too.
Cheers

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Gunlock wrote:Dont worry about looks, plenty of people racing in suits, two pieces, footy shorts and singlets, budgie smugglers and crop tops, you name it - someone has tried to do a triathlon in one.
People still race short course in budgie smugglers? Was de rigueur in my day; thought everyone is more modest these days and races in either one or two piece jobs.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:00 pm

dalai47 wrote:
Gunlock wrote: budgie smugglers and crop tops.
People still race short course in budgie smugglers? Was de rigueur in my day; thought everyone is more modest these days and races in either one or two piece jobs.
Not many but you do see a few. Mostly the old guard.

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:30 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:The two I have here are jaggad xxl sized ones, if anyone is interested. They fit me at 190cm and 84kg.
Hey bigfriendlyvegan - do you still have these? I'm just doing my first Tri this weekend and whilst I have one suit, I'd be keen to get more (doing more Tri this season and planning for the HIM next year). PM me if you can and let me know a price?

Cheers,

Joe

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:08 pm

pm'd. All yours, though I think I'll look better in them at 84kg compared to 92kg, which is the weight I bought them at.

melouchar

Postby melouchar » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:40 am

My personal choice are TYR Hurricane wetsuits - the brand offers quality gear at an affordable price. There are different sizes and different colours, and I'm quite sure you will find the right one that suits you best.