The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

g-boaf

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:47 pm

I did 3x10 intervals at 92% today - first time I've done those. Feeling pretty good after that, like I could have done it at a bit higher power.

http://www.strava.com/activities/171950518/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:30 pm

Ease into em, boaf. Much better to take a month to adapt with a couple a week, gradually reducing recovery intervals and increasing work interval length and FTP%. I find it really hurts if you overshoot your abilities.

Arty

Postby Arty » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 pm

leximack wrote:howdy all, thought i would pop in and see what your all doing, but sadly lost interest real quickly when i realised i still have no idea what your talking about :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: , but anyway seems like your having fun, thats the main thing.
I have been sick for nearly 2 weeks but this week rode really fast on tuesday night with the trek guys and tonight really fast ITT and then back with the kz guys.
Funny thing is i was faster on the bubbler run tonight by myself then with the group on tuesday night :shock: :shock:
33min 16sec (AT) 34.7avg on tuesday in a group of 10
32min 46sec (AT) 35.2avg tonight in TT mode
I guess i was really bludging on tuesday night :lol: :lol:

Anyway, as you were :D :D

Don
Impressive time solo Donny :!: :!:
See if we can't give that a nudge next time round :lol: :lol:

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Busy couple of days for me...

Thurs - Short Z6/7 intervals on the road, this ride felt terrible I just felt tense, the legs weren't working as they should, etc... I was really worried that I was coming down with something and the up coming weekends race would be a disaster. After downloading my ride data I felt much better - Pretty significant power bests from 15sec to 1:30min.

Friday - 2hrs Z2, including 2 x 5min efforts at FTP (towing stragglers back to the bunch); was a steady but solid ride.

Saturday - 6Hr MTB Race - felt great the first 4 hours, died off a little the last 2; the legs felt good it's just the speed wasn't there any more. I was a bit disappointed having ended up 17th of 40odd in Open. Given the limited hours since March, the result probably isn't that bad. Will save the race report for the blog :-P

Sunday - Farking sore

Today - Z1 easy spin, I even struggled getting up the freeway overpass.

Tomorrow - 2hrs of Z1/2 riding :-)
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 am

Cul wrote:Busy couple of days for me...

Thurs - Short Z6/7 intervals on the road, this ride felt terrible I just felt tense, the legs weren't working as they should, etc... I was really worried that I was coming down with something and the up coming weekends race would be a disaster. After downloading my ride data I felt much better - Pretty significant power bests from 15sec to 1:30min.

L6/7 intervals 2 days out from a 6hr MTB event :roll:
No wonder you faded toward the end of the race :mrgreen:
Tuesday at the lastest for that kind of training, even then it's too close to an important event, 7 -10 days out would have been ideal, asuming it was an important event to you, if not disreguard my post :lol:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 am

The z6 and z7 intervals don't have to be a guaranteed fail, we don't know how hard the session was or the real context of the program. I did some z7 intervals a couple hours after my weights on Sunday, definitely didn't hit the ideal numbers but I am in base 1 anyhow :lol:

Cul

Postby Cul » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:19 am

Aussiebullet wrote:
Cul wrote:Busy couple of days for me...

L6/7 intervals 2 days out from a 6hr MTB event :roll:
No wonder you faded toward the end of the race :mrgreen:
Tuesday at the lastest for that kind of training, even then it's too close to an important event, 7 -10 days out would have been ideal, asuming it was an important event to you, if not disreguard my post :lol:
I tend to preform better with some stress in the legs; my best MTB result last year come the day after a 60km road race, which I went solo off the front!.. :twisted:

If looked at in isolation it seems a silly workout to do; but in the context of my program it was probably one of the easier workouts that week - my program is fairly time crunched but well balanced with easier rides such as that on Friday to even it out. Given the limited hours I was never going to be in form for the weekends race, I just expected to do a little better. There are races pretty much every fought night for the next few months so I imagine the form will come on fairly quick.

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:21 am

Xplora wrote:The z6 and z7 intervals don't have to be a guaranteed fail, we don't know how hard the session was or the real context of the program. I did some z7 intervals a couple hours after my weights on Sunday, definitely didn't hit the ideal numbers but I am in base 1 anyhow :lol:
True I can understand a handful of short sprints I do that that myself,
but Zill's post explains power bests from 15's to 1.5min that says to me many intervals and at the hardest pace to date so IMO maybee too much 2 days out, not saying you can't just saying not ideal.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Cul isn't zill. ;)

Power bests are actually a good thing. Would only need 3-5 different intervals with 3 minute gaps for that to be terribly sensible... I know it's saying 30 seconds on 15 off for 30 minutes straight to your reading of it but we don't know what cul actually did.

MT number 4. Got an email back from Friel (or Friel's secretary) advising I could skip max strength this year and just go to strength maintenance, which will make my wife happy - quicker workouts. In an effort to save cash on new kettlebells I tried doing my challenge sets (number 2 and 3 of the 4 sets) with two kettlebells where appropriate - deadlifts, squats. Actual weight moved hasn't changed for 3 workouts but the effort has increased. Warmup method is working well too. Just blitz through the sets of 12 with the 8kg, then the 12kg, then the 16kg for the work intervals. Makes for a nice smooth workout. Win. Two more weeks of MT then focus on riding and the newborn baby :O

Cul

Postby Cul » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Xplora wrote:Cul isn't zill. ;)

Power bests are actually a good thing. Would only need 3-5 different intervals with 3 minute gaps for that to be terribly sensible... I know it's saying 30 seconds on 15 off for 30 minutes straight to your reading of it but we don't know what cul actually did.
Guys, no it certainly wasn't 30sec on / 30 sec off for 30mins; I'm not even sure how you'd do that on a road to be honest, apologies if that is how it's been written.

My session was a bit adhoc, basically a short blast in the afternoon to replace the fast group ride I missed in the morning. The work was done on a few short hills near home; 3 x 1:30mins (w/ about 3min rest), and 3 x 1minute (w/ equal rest) with the aim of climbing >Z5. The increase in power PB is more likely a result of the fact that other than the bunch kick and the 30on/30off sprints I've done no short duration work on the road for about a month. (I do a majority of my intervals on the trainer, w/ 30on/30off or 30on/15off or 15on/15off).

Regardless, I am happy the power increase in short duration power for the month of July (72w gain @30sec - 14w gain (AT) 1:30); I've not tested 5min, 10min or 20min I am hoping to do that this week weather permitting :-)

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Cul wrote: I tend to preform better with some stress in the legs; my best MTB result last year come the day after a 60km road race, which I went solo off the front!.. :twisted:
Sorry Cul for calling you Zill :lol:

Yep, I like to wake the legs up the day before a race with a good warm up and one 3min V02 effort around 117% -121% and a couple short seated sprints and maybe 1 or 2 out of the saddle.

Most coaches recommend some form of short interval a day or 2 prior to an event but I don't know of any coaches that would ask you to chase PB's 2 days out from a big event, simply not enough time to recover fully and you'll end up carrying unnecessary fatigue into your event.

I like to be on the start line thinking... have I done enough rather than have I done just a little too much.
Anyway sounds like your happy either way, good luck with the rest of your races they sound gnarly :twisted:

Cul

Postby Cul » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Aussiebullet wrote:
Sorry Cul for calling you Zill :lol:
Just dish out the insults :!:
Aussiebullet wrote: Most coaches recommend some form of short interval a day or 2 prior to an event but I don't know of any coaches that would ask you to chase PB's 2 days out from a big event, simply not enough time to recover fully and you'll end up carrying unnecessary fatigue into your event.
No coaches telling me to chase PB's, I felt like a short ride and that's what I did... The alternative was a fast bunch ride which usually attracts a 120TSS. In either case I would think 2 days to recover is enough given the easier ride after and limited stress during the week leading up to the race :oops:

Aussiebullet wrote:I like to be on the start line thinking... have I done enough.
I could be riding 30hrs per week and still think the same day of the race. :oops:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:10 pm

I had a tough session today - but I expected it would be. No surprises there.

Looking on training peaks, things going well.

So the plan coming up is more 3x10s, then 2x20s and then some really high intensity 5x5s.

Cul

Postby Cul » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:15 pm

Good stuff Boaf! :D

What was meant to be 2hrs tempo turned into tempo / fast bunchy / tempo for me yesterday, legs still not feeling fantastic after the weekends racing I was convinced I was going to get dropped like a hot potato and I did briefly with another guy but managed to get myself back on, then gave it a bit of a shove in the run home for the sprint finish. Finished the 30min ride home with tempo :D

Today's session will be indoors, 130km wind gusts are not really conducive to riding :|

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:26 pm

Cul wrote: Today's session will be indoors, 130km wind gusts are not really conducive to riding :|
You clearly don't worry about KOMs then :lol:

Cul

Postby Cul » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:02 pm

Xplora wrote:
Cul wrote: Today's session will be indoors, 130km wind gusts are not really conducive to riding :|
You clearly don't worry about KOMs then :lol:
I worry more about being able to get home when I finally come to a stop :?:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:44 pm

130kmh, you'll be rolling home the whole time ;)

S-train

Postby S-train » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:15 am

After 3 weeks of bubonic man flu, back into some more serious training starting starting my next 12 week block of training fun.

Last nights session was the first with revised power targets for intervals based on latest testing and race data, it was going to be hard and it did kick my ass struggled to get it finished, and the last interval i bottled.

6x 5mins 120% of 1hr FTP value.

the first one was easy, the last one was not completed, bottled it after 4 mins and then did a longer than normal cool down .

Hoping that it a combination of flu recover and increased power points that killed me, i know that doing intervals until failure is good, but it hurts....

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:45 am

Good effort S-Train!

I did a whole lot of not much yesterday, just an easy spin on the rollers - this morning I set out to do 3 x 5mins Z5 Intervals; I caved pretty hard after the first 3mins!

I think I will have to rejig my program for the next few weeks to cope with racing every fortnight for a while; there is obviously still a fair bit of residual fatigue from the race on the weekend! The revised program will have easy volume work the week after the next race(s) to cope with fatigue, with more high intensity stuff the weekend(s) after the race before doing a bit of a taper into the next race.

On the positive side, that 3mins was a 3min power best - up 10w from my previous best.
Last edited by Cul on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:38 pm

OT but
Cul wrote: ... racing every fought night for a while;
I really like this. It's up there with Linux and Windows "duel booting" :-)

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:39 pm

kb wrote:OT but
Cul wrote: ... racing every fought night for a while;
I really like this. It's up there with Linux and Windows "duel booting" :-)
*facepalm*

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Last week of max transition. Gave the double kettlebells a go, my back is so tired. Massive core strength effort.

Then tried out my first set of rollers. Gosh that sucked. Felt like a praying mantis stuck in a spider web on a hotplate. I honestly didn't think it could be that bad, but it was. These things will definitely work - I can't physically use the rollers without much better handling, so yay team hey?

kb

Postby kb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Higher cadence is definitely easier. I find on the road around 87rpm is natural, on rollers around 100.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:47 pm

I tried to pedal 53/19 and it just felt too high to spin, but I'm not sure if I'll get much love trying to go 39/19 instead. I'm so unsteady it wouldn't be much worse though.

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Xplora you'll get the hang of it in no time...

I do FTP intervals on mine; its almost like motopacing ;-)