The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

kb

The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby kb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Xplora wrote: SSS, normalised power is basically a rolling 30 second average, so it gives MUCH more weight to the big anaerobic efforts. If you average 200w (tempo pace) for 5 minutes, then 800W for 30 seconds, and another 5 minutes at 200w, your average power might be 250w, but the normalised power could be 300W because the 800w is affecting the average for 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. That's a rough and ready explanation.
The weighting toward harder efforts comes from summing the 4th power of the samples, then taking the 4th root. The degree (4) and smoothing (30s or 25 with Skiba's X-power) are chosen because they fit physiological responses well.

g-boaf

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:What's the difference between normalised power and average power?
average power is the average over the whole session including when you are rolling (not making any power), while this is the explanation of NP:

http://perfprostudio.com/webhelp/Analyz ... age=NP.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PerfProStudio is what I use for trainer workouts along with Training Peaks.

Anyhow - I did 3x10min intervals thankfully just a bit below my current FTP. My HR felt nice and settled but damn did I have sore legs on the 3rd 10min interval. Got through them all okay though. The soreness plateaued out and didn't get worse so I just got through it.

2x18s are scheduled for tomorrow - but I'll probably do them Thursday.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm preferring Skiba's bikescore and xpower, it's much less susceptible to sprint distortions. I did some sprints tonight and it bumped my normalised power from 270 to 320 for the lap, that's ridiculous.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Just a quickie today... bit tired in the legs. Playing around with a new position on the TT bike trying to find the missing watts ( all 60 of them! ). 1cm forward for the saddle and 1to 1.25cm up for the bars. Not up big change but it did feel more comfortable... probably a tiny bit less aero but felt much easier to hold descent power. Managed to hold 336w for 12.5 minutes ... possibly could hold that for 25 minutes on fresh legs which is certainly getting closer to what I can hold on the roadie!.
Still 40-50w down on what I could hold in similar position in 2012 :oops: .

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Can't be too hard on yourself, mate, TT is a bazillion miles from your roadie position and you're not bringing your strongest legs to the task either, unless you've done a bunch of Secret Training off Strava ;)

After killing myself on the weights on Monday, brutal bunch/ITT ride for 230TSS last night and feeling shagged all day, decided to hate myself with 6 lots of 5min SST intervals. I REALLY struggle to maintain steady power, even when allowing myself to average right on 88%FTP. Oh well. Will do another one of these on Friday and then a race on Sunday morning, the Mighty Waratahs are at Eastern Creek. Hopefully it's a short course day.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Long way off peak form is true... Wasn't even going to bother with TT's this year but you know how it is!.
Got a couple of solo TT's and a 2 man lined up now :-) .
Don't even know what my FTP is after 3 months of mostly cruising with guests!.

Cul

Postby Cul » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:22 am

Got on the trainer again last night for another round of 30sec on / 30 sec off intervals... Solid!

Fast bunchy this morning, numbers were down and the wind up so it was a little slower than usual but still a good workout.

Off to Canberra tomorrow, and then Coffs Harbour on Sunday with the bikes in tow, looking forward to getting in some good riding over the next few weeks while I am off work... Hopefully I can find a fast bunch or two to play with as well! :-)
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:15 pm

3 minute power efforts uphill this morning with the bunch. I have been eating all day since :)
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Not feeling too solid today or pleased with myself. I found even 5 minutes at 250w left me with tired legs. :( I had no punch in my legs at all, just couldn't get going. No idea why.

The 2x20 efforts failed badly. Really badly. The second interval was a tiny bit better, but I lasted 10 minutes before throwing in the towel.

I had a rest day yesterday and enough sleep. :?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:04 pm

One days break is obviously not enough. I bet if you did next to nix for the next week you would smash it in 7 days time.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:16 pm

That's part of the voodoo, isn't it? Sucks if you don't hit your target, but it usually means you shouldn't try.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:36 pm

did a recovery ride in the morning and 4 x 4km climbs at lunch :). I was playing with my power meter and have worked out when I will blow up!!!
Cervelo R5

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:51 pm

If you're doing EC, have a look at Lap NP on the Garmin, I find that's a really helpful way of working out how you are doing lap to lap, because initiating the break (or chasing it down) is an enormous amount of power, it's helpful to have something to watch to know how much you have to recover. Which grade you doing?

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:54 pm

I was actually wanting to see what I was comfortable climbing at and what took a lot of effort which took me a couple minutes to recover.
im hoping to do a couple races in B grade and then give A grade a go :)
Cervelo R5

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:38 pm

Sandbagger ;) If you think you can run with the bulls in Vets A grade, you should. Look out for an idiot in a red skinsuit, come say hi.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:41 pm

I will say hi :)
at the moment im focusing on the fitz challenge in 6 weeks and then ill turn my focus to the waratahs.
Cervelo R5

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:01 pm

So looks like I'm going to be spending some quality time on the trainer. Had my front wheel taken out in yesterday's Crit when he jumped from one lane to another in the final sprint.

Grade 3 separation in the shoulder, bulk skin taken off the body. Thankfully nothing broken on the body, most of the bike is a write off though. So I'll have to source a new one from what I've been told!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Bugger! :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Gosh Ig, that's awful!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:35 pm

Ignoto wrote:So looks like I'm going to be spending some quality time on the trainer. Had my front wheel taken out in yesterday's Crit when he jumped from one lane to another in the final sprint.

Grade 3 separation in the shoulder, bulk skin taken off the body. Thankfully nothing broken on the body, most of the bike is a write off though. So I'll have to source a new one from what I've been told!
Ouch! That's not good.

My weekend was a 87.5km ride at 168TSS and 108km today at 184TSS. Feeling alright today - the ride this morning was moderately fast.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Bugger! :(

Foo
+ a square root!

Good week but still eating too much... Couldn't be motivated to train today so tossed up between a TT of a RR... Went with the RR. Was only looking at an easy bunch ride but then I did a silly thing by bridging up to the break... 50 kms later we we caught but was a nice workout.
Pulled something in the hamstrings pretty badly ... Hopefully won't be off the bike too long!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:21 am

Only off the bike for a day :D ... which I would of had off anyway after a race like that. Got to say I am surprised after I was walking around like a cripple on Sunday!.
Indian summer injured would suck!!!

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:08 am

hill repeats up Garie hill. 1@ threshold with new power pb :)
Cervelo R5

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:28 am

Managed three solid turns last night in the 300-350w range on the Bubbler run after an epic weights session yesterday and my first hard race innings on Sunday. Feelin strong.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Xplora wrote:Managed three solid turns last night in the 300-350w range on the Bubbler run after an epic weights session yesterday and my first hard race innings on Sunday. Feelin strong.
Why is it that I'm not liking the sound of that.. :shock: