The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Bluejay87

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:03 pm

What grade Cul?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:23 am

vander wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Much prefer doing that test to FTP. :) I'm pleased with the first effort. :)

I'm doing 3x20min intervals tomorrow with 12 30sec sprints mixed in. 6am start. :oops:
Come race instead.
I don't really enjoy racing.

Cul

Postby Cul » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:24 am

Bluejay87 wrote:What grade Cul?
B-Grade Bluejay, whys that?
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:41 pm

Just trying to understand the differences in grades

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:57 pm

^^^^ different clubs have different grades, and different tracks require different kinds of power. 290W average also means different things at different weights too. 290W average for me would have me off the front in A grade in Sydney but I seem to do quite fine with an average down around 240W, normalised maybe 280W for the hour. I wouldn't worry about power expectations, I've learnt that it's best as a guide for your training, and a warning sign that you are doing too much work in the race. "Do as little as possible to achieve your goals" is some of the most sage advice ever. :idea:

boss

Postby boss » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:58 pm

Went out for a spin last night to test out my knee/quad. Thankfully there was no discomfort or pain, although it was quite a nervous ride and I didn't really get to 'settle in'.

Ended up getting 173w for an hour and 200NP, which isn't bad given my weight and all things considered.

happysumo

Postby happysumo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Coach had me on one of these tonight:
http://www.proform.com/fitness/en/ProFo ... France-Pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd only ever ridden either rollers or crappy turbo trainer. Surprising difference on this.

4m (AT) 500w
4m (AT) 550w
3m (AT) 550w (cracked)
4m (AT) 500w
4m (AT) 500w

Reviews of the 2011/2012 models all sound terrible, but this seemed OK. That said, I'm not entirely sure about the power numbers. These seem way too high..... I'm finishing hilly road races with A grade near the front (but not near enough!)

HR wise, sitting on low 190's for the 550w effort and high 180's for the 500w ones.

Thoughts?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:07 pm

HUGE numbers! ... you've done 5x5's before I recall, how do they compare?. What do you weigh?.

happysumo

Postby happysumo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Haven't ridden with a PM in a few months either, so not really sure where I'm at. But feel like I have definitely improved heaps lately, particularly 1 through 5 minute areas.

Used to do 5x5's at 370w probably 8 months ago ? Actually, come to think of it, my last 5 minute test (10 months + ago) was 410w, so I'm actually pretty sure those numbers could be 5 or 10% out. Granted, these were only 4 minutes, and the 5th minute is by far the hardest.

70kg too.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:20 pm

6 x 5min low cadence reps this evening, aiming for 300w av but instead focused on smooth pedaling. My core is frakked :(

http://app.strava.com/activities/221206755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No bonk today, diet is beginning to work.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:47 am

happysumo wrote:Haven't ridden with a PM in a few months either, so not really sure where I'm at. But feel like I have definitely improved heaps lately, particularly 1 through 5 minute areas.

Used to do 5x5's at 370w probably 8 months ago ? Actually, come to think of it, my last 5 minute test (10 months + ago) was 410w, so I'm actually pretty sure those numbers could be 5 or 10% out. Granted, these were only 4 minutes, and the 5th minute is by far the hardest.

70kg too.

If your doing 550w for 4 min...at 70kgs that puts you at nearly 7.85w per kg for 4min. That would have you at the very top of Coogans power chart, ie: you would be winning gold at the Olympics in the Individual Pursuit... if they still had the IP :mrgreen: . Coach needs to get his power meter re-calibrated!.

Sun was out today, first time in a week or more so had to go out, just cruised... slug slow. Time to get the diet going :oops: .
Looking back on this year performance wise is a bit of a downer, March and April I had reasonable numbers, but still 10% down on what I used to have. No races for another 3 months ... winter sux and it isn't even winter yet :| .

boss

Postby boss » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:10 am

Those numbers certainly sound beast mode, as TLL said, they're kinda world class level.

Not saying that you're not world class :P but if I got anything like those numbers from a trainer I'd never used before I'd be taking them with a grain of salt.

Your other power numbers - 410 for 5 and 370 for 5x5 - are pretty impressive. What was that measured with? I assume something direct force on the bike?

happysumo

Postby happysumo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:49 am

True when put in that light! I've definitely forgotten what 500w feels like :lol:

Bowl of salt taken from that trainer.

I've got a pair of Vector pedals. Bike they were on was hit by a car ages ago and it's waiting at the shop for insurance to come through so I've just been riding on HR for a while (it's actually nice how it frees you up from thinking about watts).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:55 am

boss wrote:Those numbers certainly sound beast mode, as TLL said, they're kinda world class level.

Not saying that you're not world class :P but if I got anything like those numbers from a trainer I'd never used before I'd be taking them with a grain of salt.

Your other power numbers - 410 for 5 and 370 for 5x5 - are pretty impressive. What was that measured with? I assume something direct force on the bike?
Those numbers are indeed huge (the ones from that stationary bike) - Putting you above some very fast A grade riders I know and up there with some others who are paid to race bikes. :?:
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

happysumo

Postby happysumo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:45 am

g-boaf wrote:
boss wrote:Those numbers certainly sound beast mode, as TLL said, they're kinda world class level.

Those numbers are indeed huge - Putting you above some very fast A grade riders I know and up there with some others who are paid to race bikes. :?:

Honestly, I didn't think the valid numbers I've gotten from the Vectors are too impressive (unless you meant those trainer numbers from yesterday, which I think we can all just completely forget about hahaahh!

Best 20 minutes was 5w/kg from a while ago. Not bad, but around here I'm still hovering around 10th at the club A road races depending on who shows up to race. Get completely pwnd if some of the track team decides to turn up though :lol:

More and more I've found how little power will actually mean in a race. Miss the move and it's game over, no matter how good you are. Get stuck at the back at the wrong moment, game over. Caught in the crosswind for too long, game over. Happens scary fast!

Maybe Adelaide just breeds fast kids. After all, there's nothing else to do around here for entertainment except for ride your bike :P

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:04 am

The folks must be fast in Radelaide, 5w/kg for 20mins is certainly not slouching around!

My trainer session last night wasn't quite as planned, I ended up doing 2 x 8min and 2 x 12min intervals at 95%-98% FTP (8min (AT) 98%, 12min (AT) 95%, 8min (AT) 98%, 12min (AT) 95% w/ 5min recoveries). I tried to push the 8mins a little harder as I was wanting to hit them around 102-105% FTP but just didn't have the legs last night.

This morning was a solid 2hrs of Tempo / SST :-)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:17 pm

They spend more time in the hills ;)

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Xplora wrote:They spend more time in the hills ;)
Yep, up in the hills preaching veganism! :roll:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:42 pm

:lol:

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Rest day and its perfect riding weather..... Must resist

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Proper bona fide Z1 ride with a block burner for 30 minutes in the middle - set PRs for most of my northbound M7 cycleway segments where I was rolling turns with 4-5 other blokes :shock: I did draft Mother Nature a bit but it seemed to be mostly crosswind. Either way, very encouraging to see I'm pushing the 14-16 gears and ripping out 50kmh a few times this week without too much drama. Time for a new fit though, gotta get more aero.

donncha

Postby donncha » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Right, second attempt at hard intervals didn't really work out well at all.

Took Cul's advice and opted for 4x8 (AT) 110% on Monday morning, but again fell apart on the second one! Target was 325W and I managed 316W for the first one (not great) but then was down around 305-309 for the second one, so I pulled the pin as I clearly didn't have it in the legs. At my current level of fitness I think I can do one of those sessions when my legs are fresh, but once I'm carrying some fatigue forget it.

Tuesday AM Hills session was tough too. Was on the front for the first main hill, Military Road out of Bondi, and we set off at a brisk pace and just kept it up, neither myself nor my mate willing to concede defeat and ease off. Averaged 400W for the 3:36 of the climb and was very disappointed to see we hadn't dropped anyone (from the second slowest of four groups on the road!! Fark!) Both of us were toast for the rest of the ride, so power was a bit down on last week for the other climbs :lol:

Wednesday recovery ride, super easy, Thursday Z2 and then today went for a shortened ride due to the heat and did 2x15 SST which felt OK.

It's a bit disappointing to fail at the hard intervals, but as long as I continue to make progress I'm not going to worry about it for the moment. Will try it again once the CTL's a bit higher and should be able to absorb the workload a bit better.

I've one more block leading in to Christmas, so I'll get regular SST in and throw in some shorter intervals at FTP towards the end of the block. Weight's continuing to drop off - down roughly 1kg/wk over the last month, so hoping to keep that going up to the Christmas period, and as I'll have my bike with me this Christmas, I'll be aiming to keep it off too for once :lol: :lol:

donncha

Postby donncha » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:08 am

Waterfall hi tout this morning for the first time since about April. Went with the slower group but the pace was still on, so suffered s bit more than I'd intended on the way out.

Slight tailwind on the way back took the pressure off a bit, but still ended up with 220TSS to take me to 670TSS for the week.

I'm toast now :lol:

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Four days back to back. Only 50km a time, three bunches and a solo ride.

Tuesday terrible, legs blown from Sunday, ride at or below threshold.
Wednesday bit better, rolled a few turns.
Thursday solo did a few five minute efforts at 110-120% FTP
Friday bunch rolled some turns, some guys turned up on TT bikes which made it tough but not too bad. Felt like I was recovering well between efforts.

Rest today. Race tomorrow.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Wow, this Z1 stuff is fun. Imagine that, just riding to sit on the bike...

Definitely need a fit - I've got a couple pairs of older knicks that just EAT my sitbone skin most of the time, staying in the reco gear (39/23 occasionally higher on low downhills) they seemed fine even with a sore butt from 250kms of hard riding this week.