The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

g-boaf

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:22 am

Gunlock wrote:I had a bike fit the other day and we had the bike on a Computrainer that gave power data. Makes me want power data even more now (even though i really dont need it).
Computrainers are just great. :)The ones I use, they have these bikes on them and the rear wheels have a power meter:

http://www.medibank.com.au/bemagazine/i ... th_lab.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even better, I don't have to use my own bike or burn up my own tyres on a trainer. ;) Just as long as the fans are going flat out. :oops:

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:35 pm

Xplora wrote:
Calibrate those PMs people!
I have to calibrate my PM every session or else the numbers are so low, I had a session last week that my PM wasn't calibrating on (since figured out why) and I'm pretty sure I smashed the power numbers on it... but hey, it wasn't calibrated so it's not real :(

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Gunlock wrote:I had a bike fit the other day and we had the bike on a Computrainer that gave power data. Makes me want power data even more now (even though i really dont need it).
Computrainers are just great. :)The ones I use, they have these bikes on them and the rear wheels have a power meter:

http://www.medibank.com.au/bemagazine/i ... th_lab.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even better, I don't have to use my own bike or burn up my own tyres on a trainer. ;) Just as long as the fans are going flat out. :oops:
Where is that?

http://app.strava.com/activities/247992298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wishing I had have had enough time for an 8th lap. Woukd have put me oner 12k/vm for the month. Guess I will havr to go out tomorrow night after work and put some kms down.
Last edited by Le Mong on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:09 pm

That is Athlete Lab in Loftus Street Sydney:

Ph: 02 9252 6656
www: http://sydney.athlete-lab.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are a really good operation. They know their stuff, easy going as well. Also in Singapore and London.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Some thing different for Butu-ality today. Steep side then easy side with no break, so it was 17 minutes per interval. NP 315 for each. 18x 90s efforts at z6 FTW :mrgreen:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Xplora wrote:Some thing different for Butu-ality today. Steep side then easy side with no break, so it was 17 minutes per interval. NP 315 for each. 18x 90s efforts at z6 FTW :mrgreen:

Oh god, rubbing salt in the wounds! I wish i was there. Will miss next Friday too, that day is already planned for me.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:54 am

One last road ride tonight then a week of trainer tortre to try and throw another 5+% FTP this month before peaks.

Was nice to see 81.5kg when I got off the bike yesterday, 83kg this morning for my weekly check.
Out of curiosity what do people usually see as an acceptable drop on the bike for a 4h ride?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:58 am

I don't use the weight drop as anything except a warning to replace with fluid. I dropped 5 kg on the 350km day despite eating and drinking. It's all water loss so I drink up after. I don't drink much during the ride.

Bunch went well today, crushed the climbs despite two big days. I had enough for the sprints too. No illusions that I am hurting though. Creatine loading is playing havoc with the muscles,so close to cramping all the time. I will give it some time to do what it needs to do. Still, cracking out 1100w feels good when you should be ruined!

toolonglegs

The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:39 am

Finished a bunch ride!... Yippee. But the toes got wet then got cold. I hate frozen toes... I hate thawing frozen toes more. It is not a nice pain.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:06 am

I call it, character building, TLL. :mrgreen:

Good stuff on the first bunch finish, you can do it if you want and everything aligns. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:42 am

:oops: Cold toes is the worst, no question. I bought the neoprene snow booties for sub zero temps even though I never see less than 3-4 because I hate it so much

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 pm

I did a 275TSS ride today. That finishes me for the week. 355km this week and 682TSS. Less than before, but okay.

Had some random guy latch on to my wheel this morning, determined he was... That's not going to happen. Dropped him pretty easily then eased off to let him catch up, then repeated the process. :twisted:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52 pm

g-boaf wrote: Had some random guy latch on to my wheel this morning, determined he was... That's not going to happen. Dropped him pretty easily then eased off to let him catch up, then repeated the process. :twisted:
Love it! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

kb

Postby kb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Interval training for the both of you :)

Cul

Postby Cul » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Crit race for me last night, was a good race I was doing well and feeling ok!

Then it happened, was sitting 2nd wheel through the turn onto the start finish straight, the rider in front has slowed, and drifted across my front wheel; I was committed to my line and seeing flashes of impending disaster, it all happened so quick... Wheels touched and I went down hard! Fortunately the bunch of 20odd got around me with not too much fuss.

Initially thought to be just lost bark but an X-Ray this morning revealed I have a slight AC separation :-(

That said, very glad no one else went down and learnt a valuable lesson... Guard that front wheel better!!!
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Damn Cul - that's really bad news. :( How long for recovery?
foo on patrol wrote:
g-boaf wrote: Had some random guy latch on to my wheel this morning, determined he was... That's not going to happen. Dropped him pretty easily then eased off to let him catch up, then repeated the process. :twisted:
Love it! :lol:

Foo
I've got to say, I did however stop and say hello and gave him some encouragement. He was going quite well. I make breakaway attempts out of slow corners or particularly short, sharp hills.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:28 pm

Cul wrote:Crit race for me last night, was a good race I was doing well and feeling ok!

Then it happened, was sitting 2nd wheel through the turn onto the start finish straight, the rider in front has slowed, and drifted across my front wheel; I was committed to my line and seeing flashes of impending disaster, it all happened so quick... Wheels touched and I went down hard! Fortunately the bunch of 20odd got around me with not too much fuss.

Initially thought to be just lost bark but an X-Ray this morning revealed I have a slight AC separation :-(

That said, very glad no one else went down and learnt a valuable lesson... Guard that front wheel better!!!
Bugger! :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:33 pm

g-boaf wrote: I've got to say, I did however stop and say hello and gave him some encouragement. He was going quite well. I make breakaway attempts out of slow corners or particularly short, sharp hills.
Sounds like he caught you :wink: :P
FPR Ragamuffin

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:14 am

For those that lift, if I'm simply doing 2x12, 2x8 over 6 exercises, how smashed should I feel? I was totally fried afterwards.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:21 am

Cul wrote: Initially thought to be just lost bark but an X-Ray this morning revealed I have a slight AC separation :-(
Bugger mate, been there a few months ago (although mine isn't so slight, it's classed as a "Grade 3 Seperation"), so hopefully you're a Grade 1 or 2 and you'll hardly notice it. It took a good while for me to re-gain the strength in the shoulder and a few months till I could sleep on that side. I was back on the bike within 10 days (which was only prolonged due to the bark I took off on my shin), so riding won't cause it any more damage than what's been done.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:28 am

Xplora wrote:For those that lift, if I'm simply doing 2x12, 2x8 over 6 exercises, how smashed should I feel? I was totally fried afterwards.
Don't know how much you are lifting in kilos - but I think after you've done your lifting, you should get out on the bike or on the trainer/rollers and just do a really easy 25-30km at very low speed (eg 20km/h) and just spin the pedals very easily to avoid the sore legs. This is something someone I know tends to do.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:37 am

It's low end. Front squats 28x12 twice then 36x8 twice, 90 second recoveries, but it's really pushing it for the last two reps, total 6 exercises - plus I've had the Bubbler run, hills, and bunch for the three days prior. (Deadlifts were awesome, straight leg 44x8 twice with room to move :D ) wondering if it's simply that 700TSS (1600 for the fortnight?) is just taking the sting out of me? My FTP is crazy wrong right now though :P

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:30 am

Sorry mate - you are talking a foreign language there.

The TSS load there is not really that huge, it's just the weights you are putting in as well - you've just got to try and manage that muscle soreness with some short rides with easy spinning, no big efforts high power outputs. 120-150w is enough. Just spinning the legs over easily helps to get rid of that soreness very well.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:42 am

Full sikk pump brahz and so forth ;) creatine has stopped cramping me like a mofo which is encouraging.... it's cheaper than giving away a kilo of creatine :roll:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Xplora wrote:It's low end. Front squats 28x12 twice then 36x8 twice, 90 second recoveries, but it's really pushing it for the last two reps, total 6 exercises - plus I've had the Bubbler run, hills, and bunch for the three days prior. (Deadlifts were awesome, straight leg 44x8 twice with room to move :D ) wondering if it's simply that 700TSS (1600 for the fortnight?) is just taking the sting out of me? My FTP is crazy wrong right now though :P
Is that 28kg, 36kg and 44kg (D/L's)?