Newbie training regime

Twisterella™

Newbie training regime

Postby Twisterella™ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm a total newbie to cycling and have just purchased my first road bike.
At this stage I am simply riding for fitness with the hope to build up my fitness/enduranceenough to be able to ride with a group of riders here in my town.
Can anyone recommend what I should do to build up my fitness? I am thinking its more than just hour after hour on the bike although there can't be any harm in that ;-)
Are there any websites/blogs etc I can go to (or subscribe - I don't mind paying) to learn how to build up my cycling prowess? I have been having a look at GCN on youtube and learning a lot there however these seem to be targeted to people who have a higher base fitness level than I do. At this stage I am only cycling <20kms each time and ave 20-22kph.
Thanks in Advance
Twisterella™

Derny Driver

Re: Newbie training regime

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Twisterella™ wrote: Can anyone recommend what I should do to build up my fitness? I am thinking its more than just hour after hour on the bike ...
Twisterella™
Its quite simple. Hour after hour on the bike. That's the key to everything. Serious.
Just ride as much as you can.

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:47 pm

To build basic fitness, it really is that simple. Vary the terrain, intensity and distance just to keep it interesting.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Ride more, keep it fun.
Then ride with others and after a while and you are still having fun, join a club.

danchez

Postby danchez » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:40 pm

Same sentiment as others. Ride as much as possible as often as possible. Vary terrain etc.

Everyone indulges into the culture one way or another. Whether that is through following the pro peloton via the increasing coverage we are receiving in Aus via the likes of SBS. Or be it through scouring the forums, general news websites (Immediate Media offerings, Cyclingtips etc.), blogs/culture pages (fyxo, radavist, bikesnob etc.).

Find what you like, ride you bike as much as possible, set yourself challenges, make friends, ride with friends, repeat.
Giant Cadex ALR1
Cannondale CAAD4 R2000
Paconi

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:55 pm

+1 Get on your bike and ride more.

Start to venture out a bit more, take the path that you don't usually, try that shortcut, follow someone and try to keep up, make stupid bets like your mate cooks you breakfast if you ride to his house.

At your level, that is the most fun part if cycling and you build strength fast. After that it's a little bit more technical.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

JPB

Postby JPB » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:16 am

I have a few set courses that i do and time myself over these so that i am always trying to beat my own PB.
And slowly buildup the length of your rides, on an out and back ride every extra k on the out leg adds 2k to the ride.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:04 am

JPB wrote:I have a few set courses that i do and time myself over these so that i am always trying to beat my own PB.
That's your first mistake :wink:

zill

Postby zill » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
JPB wrote:I have a few set courses that i do and time myself over these so that i am always trying to beat my own PB.
Seems the experienced riders do something similar? For example I've noticed some A graders ride on Zift via their trainers at home and try to get as many jerseys as possible which effectively means riding as hard as possible in the same course.

JPB

Postby JPB » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Okay, I'll bite. What is wrong with using time over a set distance to gauge and improve performance?
I have improved from averaging sub 18km/h over 10km to 22 something over 40km on my MTB and i am stoked.
And i am continually reminded of where i sit in the scheme of things as people wizz by, seemingly without effort [WHITE SMILING FACE]
Just gotta do more k's and do them faster.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:45 pm

zill wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:
Seems the experienced riders do something similar? For example I've noticed some A graders ride on Zift via their trainers at home and try to get as many jerseys as possible which effectively means riding as hard as possible in the same course.
People can do whatever they want zill. Ive never heard of it. Never seen anything like that on an A grader's training program. Never heard an NRS coach recommending it.
If they did do it, Im pretty sure it would not be every day.
Maybe once a week as a hard session mixed in with a lot of other stuff?
Who knows?
Certainly not me.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:13 am

JPB wrote:Okay, I'll bite. What is wrong with using time over a set distance to gauge and improve performance?
I have improved from averaging sub 18km/h over 10km to 22 something over 40km on my MTB and i am stoked.
And i am continually reminded of where i sit in the scheme of things as people wizz by, seemingly without effort [WHITE SMILING FACE]
Just gotta do more k's and do them faster.
Average speed is not a reliable indicator of performance. Average speeds mean nothing really as there are so many variables.
If you want to get faster then try this analogy:
Every time you ride your bike imagine you are putting money in the bank, a small deposit each time you go. By money in the bank I mean your legs are getting stronger and are adjusting to the progressive workload. When you ride hard or race, you are making a withdrawal. Stressing the system and it needs time to recover. You make withdrawals every day and you will go bankrupt pretty quickly.
Do your own sums:
Easy ride= = $10 deposit
Hard ride = $25 withdrawal
Race = $40 withdrawal.
Rest day = 50 cents deposit
Balance you own weekly budget along those lines

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:58 am

Derny Driver wrote: If you want to get faster then try this analogy:
Every time you ride your bike imagine you are putting money in the bank, a small deposit each time you go. By money in the bank I mean your legs are getting stronger and are adjusting to the progressive workload. When you ride hard or race, you are making a withdrawal. Stressing the system and it needs time to recover. You make withdrawals every day and you will go bankrupt pretty quickly.
Do your own sums:
Easy ride= = $10 deposit
Hard ride = $25 withdrawal
Race = $40 withdrawal.
Rest day = 50 cents deposit
Balance you own weekly budget along those lines
Interesting. I thought it was more like putting money in a hole in the ground and when you make a withdrawal, you take a little dirt with you so more fits in next deposit. If you never make withdrawals, the walls of the hole crumble in and shrink it again.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:52 pm

Initially I tried the go hard thing and sprinted everything and forced myself up all the climbs I could. Ended in injury. Too much too soon is a real thing.

Like I said, the beginner part of riding is the best part. Get out and explore. Don't do miles because you have a target (although I have one now haha) do it to get out, explore and reach places.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Twisterella™

Postby Twisterella™ » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Thank you all for the replies. Interesting to read different approaches to training. I think one common denominator here though is.. get on the bike and enjoy!!!