The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

DG1984

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby DG1984 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:25 pm

Really can't bring myself to set up the trainer...I know I'll feel better for having done it, but getting over that mental step is a challenge these last few weeks.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:44 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I think your a bustin a gut in the gym to much, Xplora. :wink:

Foo
Been putting in a lot of time in the gym since mid May, 3-4 sessions a week and I'm 4 weeks into the Carmichael Time crunched program. I'm not really doing the easy sessions, just the hard ones, and it's freaking brutal stuff but I can feel there's something in the tank. Reality is that peaking is real and if you just can't do the job, it's time for a break.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:56 am

I'm injured, so I'm not doing any proper riding or training at all. No riding during the week, maybe just one slow/short ride per week, but nothing more than that. It's pretty crap and I'm starting to climb the walls a bit.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:54 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm injured, so I'm not doing any proper riding or training at all. No riding during the week, maybe just one slow/short ride per week, but nothing more than that. It's pretty crap and I'm starting to climb the walls a bit.
What happened? Must be serious if you can't even be on the trainer.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:32 pm

g-boaf wrote: It's pretty crap and I'm starting to climb the walls a bit.
Perspective. I haven't been outside let alone touched my bike for the last couple months as I was living in the hospital caring for my wife with terminal cancer who died Tuesday morning...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:51 am

Sorry to read about your wife, Dalai. My thoughts go out to you and your family. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:14 am

life is crap Dalai - all we can do is live for today - that's why it's called the present

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks guys. Sorry for the outburst...

linds

Postby linds » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:20 pm

dalai47 wrote:
g-boaf wrote: It's pretty crap and I'm starting to climb the walls a bit.
Perspective. I haven't been outside let alone touched my bike for the last couple months as I was living in the hospital caring for my wife with terminal cancer who died Tuesday morning...
Really sad to hear that.
Look after your self.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:38 pm

Sorry to hear about the set backs gents.

My time on the trainer is being productive, 3x3s went much better today, it's so hard to back up after a gym session too but I'm going to try and keep the 10kgs I have gained since February.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:30 pm

dalai47 wrote:Thanks guys. Sorry for the outburst...
Sorry to hear about that. I hope you have family around you.

My aunt passed on Wednesday night, last in my family of her generation, but she'd had a terrific innings and lived a full life. While it's the nature of things, there's still a wrongness about death that doesn't go away.

More so when people close to us go ahead of their time. My thoughts are with you.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:04 pm

dalai47 wrote: Perspective. I haven't been outside let alone touched my bike for the last couple months as I was living in the hospital caring for my wife with terminal cancer who died Tuesday morning...
So sorry to hear this mate. Hope you are okay.
Life is very unfair sometimes :(
Marcus

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:29 am

dalai47 wrote:Thanks guys. Sorry for the outburst...
No need to be sorry. Cancer is a rotten thing, very sorry for your loss. :(

A colleague of mine also passed away not long ago from a debilitating disability that left him in a motorised wheelchair and requiring someone to assist him everywhere he went, he survived much longer than expected and didn't let the disability stop him. He dealt with the condition with real courage and grace.
ft_critical wrote:What happened? Must be serious if you can't even be on the trainer.
Achilles tendinopathy - it got really painful, the affected area swelled up very badly and I ended up not being able to walk around properly due to the pain. It is slightly better, the swelling is finally going down. I'm just following the recovery advice to make sure it doesn't become chronic and seeing what I can do to avoid it happening again.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Got into some over/under intervals today. Seemed alright, though certainly a bit off what I used to manage. I've got a bit more to claw back, but I'm getting there. Rode a couple of times on the weekend too, that was alright too.

cerb

Postby cerb » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Well I was sick at the start of August, then went skiing for a long weekend. Came back and got sick again straight away, then on holiday overseas for a month. Got back with Gastro and finally got back on the bike today, feeling ok, to do an FTP test.

Seems my FTP has dropped by over 10% and I've also put on about 3kg. On the plus side, crit season doesn't start for a WHOLE WEEK! :-/

At least it was a good holiday :)

cerb

Postby cerb » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:52 pm

P.S. Dalai - just read up about your wife - sorry to hear and hope everything is going ok with your family.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks cerb. Really having a tough time - surrounded by a constant depression / heaviness interspersed with bouts of sobbing! Going through the motions everyday including work - thankfully they have been understanding.

Had a plan to just keep myself busy training to keep my mind off her passing and to get away on weekends so not be in the empty house which magnifies the loss. The later backfired four weekends ago when I went solo back country alpine touring (second time on skis in ~25 years) and tore my MCL! :roll: I have only been back on the trainer for easy 20 minute blocks this last week...

Will still look at getting my race licence when October 1 comes around and back racing, even though I am fat and unfit after the last 14 months with very little riding!

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:08 pm

No good on the injury - I can imagine it doesn't help things.

Remember that when things get dark, there are always people out there who can help. Make sure you reach out if needed!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:39 pm

I promised my wife I'd look after her elderly parents (she was an only child) so not planning on doing anything drastic... But will keep in mind those various groups to reach out to if necessary.

Planning on the bike and other sport being my therapy.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Did the 1/20 first time since winter started. Strava refuse to tell me how I went. TO make it worse. My mate who weighs roughly half of me and has barely ridden smashed me up there.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:26 am

dalai47 wrote:I promised my wife I'd look after her elderly parents (she was an only child) so not planning on doing anything drastic... But will keep in mind those various groups to reach out to if necessary.

Planning on the bike and other sport being my therapy.
Hang in there. Bad luck on the injury, just take it easy in small steps.

I'm mostly recovered from injury now, so I'm trying to do more riding. I'm doing a bit of commuting on the bike as well.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:18 am

Glad to see you are back on the bike again g-boaf.

Looking forward to riding again shortly, even if only easy commutes just to start. Don't know how people can drive to work every day. Mine is only a short drive but traffic is doing my head it!

Have just done a little retail therapy and bought my first off the shelf bike in many years, so looking forward to hitting the hills on that once I'm able to. Thinking I'll still find the 1 in 20 a lot harder than you did Calvin27!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:28 pm

dalai47 wrote:Glad to see you are back on the bike again g-boaf.

Looking forward to riding again shortly, even if only easy commutes just to start. Don't know how people can drive to work every day. Mine is only a short drive but traffic is doing my head it!

Have just done a little retail therapy and bought my first off the shelf bike in many years, so looking forward to hitting the hills on that once I'm able to. Thinking I'll still find the 1 in 20 a lot harder than you did Calvin27!
Thanks - I love being back riding! :) Commutes are great, it's a nice way to begin or end the day. :)

Have fun on the 1 in 20. :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:18 am

5x5min 60rpm on Tuesday and 6x5min yesterday, 60rpm but tried two of the efforts at 55rpm. Felt decent. :)

My legs feel really sore today. I might try another 5x5 today and rest tomorrow.

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Did 4 sets of 6mins intervals with random duration billiats 15-30sec at 1.3xFTP with 0.95xFTP floats last night. First couple of sets were AOK, but the last couple.... OUCH! ...they'd better be helping me get faster!