The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

cerb

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby cerb » Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 am

Got a new cap with board & optical sensor for my Kickr last night! Installed in <1min then spent a few minutes stuffing around to get the spindowns working and connected to devices properly again.

Knocked out 30km on Zwift and it's AMAZING. The resistance is smooth again (it was very choppy in the 6months leading to failure) and it's also about 25% quieter. It's just like having a new trainer again!

Will do a TR session tonight to see how it holds up to more sustained and accurate power, but all signs point to good! :)

Shoutout to Wahoo too - my kickr is 3.5 years old and it didn't cost a cent to resolve the problem. It's a touch annoying having to wait almost 1 week to resolve this replacement was required, then another week for shipping for stuff from the US, but zero cost for something 2.5 years out of warranty is damn good.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 05, 2017 11:11 am

cerb wrote:Got a new cap with board & optical sensor for my Kickr last night! Installed in <1min then spent a few minutes stuffing around to get the spindowns working and connected to devices properly again.

Knocked out 30km on Zwift and it's AMAZING. The resistance is smooth again (it was very choppy in the 6months leading to failure) and it's also about 25% quieter. It's just like having a new trainer again!

Will do a TR session tonight to see how it holds up to more sustained and accurate power, but all signs point to good! :)

Shoutout to Wahoo too - my kickr is 3.5 years old and it didn't cost a cent to resolve the problem. It's a touch annoying having to wait almost 1 week to resolve this replacement was required, then another week for shipping for stuff from the US, but zero cost for something 2.5 years out of warranty is damn good.
Cool! I may be in the market for a smart trainer next year. Looking at Zwift or that big CycleOps hammer trainer.

I plan to run the trainer with perfpro studio and Zwift.

I did 47km on Zwft the other night, 4 runs up the volcano course, then some easy spinning, and 1 hour of low rpm intervals yesterday at threshold with pretty dead legs. Rest today.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Another 15 weeks to go before I go overseas. Really creeps up quite quickly. :shock:

cerb

Postby cerb » Fri May 19, 2017 10:59 am

Time flies when you're having fun?! :)

Am off structured training right now. Just punting around in Zwift 2-3 times a week. I'm generally doing strength endurance work (5min+ efforts at 80%+ FTP), but just trying to have a bit of fun and lay off the structure for another few weeks.

Did a Zwift eCrit last week which was pretty fun. Got dropped by the front runners about half way through (partly due to some game mechanics) and never saw them again as they were all pushing close to 5W/kg. It was an "Aussie" crit, so I ended up in 5th overall, averaging 311W for a bit over an hour.

20min average power was 328W. Not much difference from my 'whole race' power, so it seems power output required for Zwift races is actually higher than normal racing (as you never really get to come off the gas for cornering and coasting up onto wheels!). Peak power on the flat course I rode was low though, so NP is pretty similar to avg - very much different to a normal crit!

Essentially 1h of sustained ~90-105% threshold work - should be good for FTP building!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 27, 2017 6:04 pm

cerb wrote:Time flies when you're having fun?! :)

Am off structured training right now. Just punting around in Zwift 2-3 times a week. I'm generally doing strength endurance work (5min+ efforts at 80%+ FTP), but just trying to have a bit of fun and lay off the structure for another few weeks.

Did a Zwift eCrit last week which was pretty fun. Got dropped by the front runners about half way through (partly due to some game mechanics) and never saw them again as they were all pushing close to 5W/kg. It was an "Aussie" crit, so I ended up in 5th overall, averaging 311W for a bit over an hour.

20min average power was 328W. Not much difference from my 'whole race' power, so it seems power output required for Zwift races is actually higher than normal racing (as you never really get to come off the gas for cornering and coasting up onto wheels!). Peak power on the flat course I rode was low though, so NP is pretty similar to avg - very much different to a normal crit!

Essentially 1h of sustained ~90-105% threshold work - should be good for FTP building!
After getting sick, it was a bit of a slog getting back the fitness I had - but it's getting there now and I'm enjoying it. :) Did hill repeats today on a silly scale, ended up with over 160km and enormous TSS. Feeling the effects of it at the moment though - sore legs. :)
cerb wrote:20min average power was 328W. Not much difference from my 'whole race' power, so it seems power output required for Zwift races is actually higher than normal racing (as you never really get to come off the gas for cornering and coasting up onto wheels!). Peak power on the flat course I rode was low though, so NP is pretty similar to avg - very much different to a normal crit!

Zwift is pretty hard - if you push yourself. If you blow up and then trying to get going again, that's just nasty (up hill at least).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Some 1min and 30 second intervals today. A nice change up from long intervals, pretty good fun. :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:18 pm

2h 15min on Zwift.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:19 am

g-boaf wrote:2h 15min on Zwift.
Yeah that's what I thought. :shock: I find that sort of riding stuff, borin as batchit. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:11 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
g-boaf wrote:2h 15min on Zwift.
Yeah that's what I thought. :shock: I find that sort of riding stuff, borin as batchit. :wink:

Foo
When you work an hour away from home and would get home when it is very cold and dark, it's worth it. It's less boring that you'd think with other people online and riding at the same time. It can also mean that your intended planned efforts end up getting thrown out the window...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Stoked to get back out for a decent(ish) ride today after three weeks of hobbling about paranoid to do anything that will make me need to take big lung-fulls of air. Got about 40km in at an average of 21-point-something on the roadie when I'm normally a but under 30 solo for that route.

Been laid up with this respiratory virus that's been hitting lots of people in Sydney. My office sounds like a dog pound with everyone coughing.

Had the bug for about a week, but the asthma since has been the worst I've ever had. Normal asthma preventers had no effect. Big doses of the steroid Prednisone seem to have finally had the desired effect, but it's been affecting my sleep, so I missed the groupie with the new club this morning. I'd have struggled to hang onto the B group anyway so maybe that was OK. Climbs I normally hit up at about 300W I was struggling to maintain 200W.

Glad to be rolling off the steroid over the next few days. Hopefully the airways stay settled as I drop the dose. If the temperatures stay up that will help.

Interesting comments from the doctor - now that smoking rates have fallen on the Norhtern Beaches, asthma has taken over as the leading cause of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Apparently it can lead to fibrosis. That shook me up a bit - I've been a bit complacent about mine over the years.

Hoping to get out for a slow lap around Manly Dam in the morning.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:30 pm

trailgumby wrote:Been laid up with this respiratory virus that's been hitting lots of people in Sydney. My office sounds like a dog pound with everyone coughing.

Had the bug for about a week, but the asthma since has been the worst I've ever had. Normal asthma preventers had no effect. Big doses of the steroid Prednisone seem to have finally had the desired effect, but it's been affecting my sleep, so I missed the groupie with the new club this morning. I'd have struggled to hang onto the B group anyway so maybe that was OK. Climbs I normally hit up at about 300W I was struggling to maintain 200W.
My office was the same, and those who've been around me recently know I was also spluttering and coughing, sneezing and wheezing as well. Super bad timing as well.

One of our devs was in on Wednesday and sounded like death. :shock: :( I still don't like the cold, that upsets things.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:42 pm

32km today with 1200m elevation, - really struggled with 40-65km/h wind gusts. :shock: I had a 20%+ gradient and a giant headwind coming across from the right hand side up the valley.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:04 pm

160k in 4 hours today including climbing Macquarie Pass.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:54 pm

trailgumby wrote:Big doses of the steroid Prednisone seem to have finally had the desired effect, but it's been affecting my sleep, so I missed the groupie with the new club this morning. I'd have struggled to hang onto the B group anyway so maybe that was OK. Climbs I normally hit up at about 300W I was struggling to maintain 200W.
prednisone should have you flying like Wiggo :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:32km today with 1200m elevation, - really struggled with 40-65km/h wind gusts. :shock: I had a 20%+ gradient and a giant headwind coming across from the right hand side up the valley.
Where was this? :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 pm

trailgumby wrote:
g-boaf wrote:32km today with 1200m elevation, - really struggled with 40-65km/h wind gusts. :shock: I had a 20%+ gradient and a giant headwind coming across from the right hand side up the valley.
Where was this? :shock:
Berry. Berry Mountain, Wattamollah and Woodhill. Some challenging riding down there, and some interesting road surfaces! :shock: Probably one of the best locations to ride though. Ride a minute or two out of Queen Street and you have a huge steep hill immediately.

Doing a few laps of Old Razorback yesterday was timid in comparison, but still a nice 150km round trip with 1750m+.

I did some intervals today for an hour - 80TSS.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

28.6km this morning with 1056m+ elevation, riding past Schlosspark Ambras, Aldrans and up to Unterlavierenbad and then looping bad to Innsbruck. The weather is unbelievably warm today. It's like summer.

And the traffic on the roads was superb, just lovely. Sure some of them passed closely, but you knew that they are just passing and not anything else. If it was a narrow situation or a tight blind curve they'd all wait. And so many people are on bikes of all kinds in Innbsruck.

Road bikes, mountain bikes, touring/city bikes. It's a normal thing.

A few photos from where I am.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:32 am

45km loop and then another one of about 14km up to Hungerberg past the Alpenzoo, then back through the Altstadt.

The morning one was nice - any further I'd have been down near Brenner. :shock: Looking out the window now, it is looking like the weather is closing in, the clouds are low over the mountains. I just went out to the Merkurmarkt up the road to get various things and it is still quite warm, but I think it is going to turn nasty.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 am

Magic looking country, G-Boaf. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:20 pm

fantastic g-boaf. looks magical.

I did a local bunchie last night and for the first time in a while now, the legs seem to be coming good. about 4 more weeks of training before target race should hopefully see me in some kind of dangerous form.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:02 pm

jules21 wrote:fantastic g-boaf. looks magical.

I did a local bunchie last night and for the first time in a while now, the legs seem to be coming good. about 4 more weeks of training before target race should hopefully see me in some kind of dangerous form.
It was nice yesterday, but bucketing down today and talk of snow at the high parts of stage one tomorrow. Don't know exactly what will happen with that until briefing. Start is 6:30am tomorrow and breakfast apparently 4:30am which is really crap. I'm honestly a bit over it - just want it to be done and back home.

I also got crook after the flights over here, seem to be mostly recovered but riding in freezing conditions and heavy rain is a real let down. That's how it is.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:29 am

g-boaf wrote: I also got crook after the flights over here, seem to be mostly recovered but riding in freezing conditions and heavy rain is a real let down. That's how it is.
geez that's bad luck with the weather. I did a riding tour in Italy in May during the Giro and the weather was about perfect. unusual for that time of year.

back to me - I'm coming into some form. I've dropped 5 kg since my eating^H^H^H^H^H riding tour of italy and starting to feel strong on the bike again. I have a training race this Sat and a target one in early Oct.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:55 pm

jules21 wrote:
g-boaf wrote: I also got crook after the flights over here, seem to be mostly recovered but riding in freezing conditions and heavy rain is a real let down. That's how it is.
geez that's bad luck with the weather. I did a riding tour in Italy in May during the Giro and the weather was about perfect. unusual for that time of year.

back to me - I'm coming into some form. I've dropped 5 kg since my eating^H^H^H^H^H riding tour of italy and starting to feel strong on the bike again. I have a training race this Sat and a target one in early Oct.
It has turned good, the other day was one of the greatest days of riding I've ever done.

Oh, plenty of fine food consumed. :)
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:20 pm

g-boaf wrote:
jules21 wrote:

It has turned good, the other day was one of the greatest days of riding I've ever done.
How was the mountain time trial?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:27 am

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
jules21 wrote: geez that's bad luck with the weather. I did a riding tour in Italy in May during the Giro and the weather was about perfect. unusual for that time of year.

How was the mountain time trial?
It was good fun, not particularly steep. Today's stage was harder - 91.2km I measured and 3250m+. Passo Sella was very high up, and a pretty mad descent from there too. :)