Seeking info on Wahoo Kickr

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Are there any Kickr owners out there who can provide some feedback on the product as I'm looking at either buying one or a version of the TACX trainer that supports VR. If you use have a Kickr, do you use it with any riding software to simulate riding outdoors?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marty_one

Re: Seeking info on Wahoo Kickr

Postby marty_one » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 am

check this out if you haven't already:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitn ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:18 pm

I might be selling my Tacx Fortius trainer, has all the software plus a few extra courses. It has done some miles but still works fine. Probably around $500.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:00 pm

Interested if you do sell it. Can even do a pickup seeing you're just down the road.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mistertim

Postby mistertim » Tue May 06, 2014 3:44 pm

I have a Kickr. I don't have anything else to compare it to because it's the only trainer I've ever owned or used, but for what it's worth we think it's excellent.

The key feature for me is being able to track all my data in the same way that I could on the road, so heart-rate, cadence (both from Garmin sensors), and power (from the Kickr). to do this, I use the Kickr in one of two different ways:

1. Connected to my laptop, running TrainerRoad software. You need a laptop with the appropriate Bluetooth connection in order to connect the Kickr, and also a USB-ANT+ dongle to record data from things like the heart rate monitor and speed-cadence sensor. If all your sensors are Bluetooth or you don't need that data, you don't need the USB-ANT+ dongle.

TrainerRoad does cost money, but I find their workouts really good. There's a wide selection to choose from and once you've done an inital FTP test, you can take the number from that as your functional maximum and it scales all the other workouts against it. I like this better than having to simply guess at the level of effort I should be putting out for different phases of a workout, which is the alternative. You can also buy videos from somewhere like Sufferfest which then integrate into TrainerRoad. I've got one of those so sometimes set my laptop to display this on the TV, and in addition to the video you get a bar across the bottom of the screen with the data about what you're doing on the trainer (heart rate, power, cadence, time spent, etc)

2. The other way, when I don't want to bother with the laptop, is to just connect the Kickr to my Garmin, which also works just fine.

One trick overall with the Kickr: you do need some software to control the resistance in it. This can be the free software for iPhone or iPad, and I assume there's an Android version too. TrainerRoad can also do this. If you don't use software with it, it basically puts out very little or no resistance, so you end up spinning as fast as you can without feeling any strain from it (like riding down a hill while you're in the small ring - you just keep spinning out but not contributing anything to your progress).

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm 90% certain that I'm going to go ahead with the purchase of a Kikr. I like the idea of pairing a Kikr up with TrainerRoad and Sufferest as my appeal of the Tacx was being able to virtually ride different parts of the world.

Can I ask where you got yours from and how much it was?

mistertim

Postby mistertim » Wed May 07, 2014 10:43 am

I bought it from the Wahoo website. I can't remember how much it was exactly, but it was around $1000.
Edit: it's currently listed there as $1399. I don't recall spending quite that much.

larrynipon

Postby larrynipon » Sun May 11, 2014 9:43 pm

I've owned a Computrainer for 10 years and it still works perfect and I love training with power and erg. I just got a Kickr. It's awesome. Wireless (Bluetooth or ANT+) is a huge improvement. Riding it with Sufferfest, or other video training programs is a blast and a great workout. TrainerRoad is the "goto" training program. I travel a lot in my car, and the Kickr is perfect for taking my training on the road.

The flexibility of running it on my iPhone or my computer is huge.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon May 12, 2014 10:13 am

I'm also thinking about getting a Kickr.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

JB

Postby JB » Mon May 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Just paid 1399 for mine + about $50 shipping. Can't wait!

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Awesome JB. Hope yours turns out as awesome as larrynipon's is :)

Just had to buy a new car because the old one died so my purchase of a kickr has been setback slightly :(

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed May 14, 2014 10:06 am

Wildfire sports had them for $1099 - $1199 delivered...

Bought one for a friend a few weeks ago for 1090

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed May 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Wildfire sports had them for $1099 - $1199 delivered...

Bought one for a friend a few weeks ago for 1090
Inflation is rampant...its now $1399 with free shipping.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed May 14, 2014 11:23 pm

Ouch!!

cerb

Postby cerb » Thu May 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Have a Kickr and it is the only trainer I'm willing to actually use, as I hate the feeling of most other trainers I've tried.

The Kickr has a few different modes, so you can set it up to emulate riding up (or down) a hill of various gradients, into a headwind or just set it to a set power value and go.

I mostly use it with Tranierroad workouts where the laptop will vary the power output required at various stages throughout the session. For power testing, I change mode and just try to follow the trainerroad power profile until the testing segments, then change gears and give it everything.

Has very high resistance levels and a good feel, so you can do full sprint training on it. I've also significantly smoothed my pedal stroke since I've started using it.

Robgr

Postby Robgr » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:18 am

Has anyone purchased one of these recently? If so do I have to go straight to the company as I notice places like Wiggle no longer sell them.
Cheers.

paladin

Postby paladin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 am

Robgr wrote:Has anyone purchased one of these recently? If so do I have to go straight to the company as I notice places like Wiggle no longer sell them.
Cheers.

Did you end up getting one Robgr?

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Robgr wrote:Has anyone purchased one of these recently? If so do I have to go straight to the company as I notice places like Wiggle no longer sell them.
Cheers.
Buy locally as I doubt u will get any cheaper than $1399 ATM given their popularity...

lock_

Postby lock_ » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Picked mine up through the LBS, they're not keeping them in stock due to the low markup on the RRP, but were happy enough to order one in. FE Sports are now the distributor, so any shop selling Garmins should be able to get one in. Mine showed up a week after the order was placed, but that was back a few months ago.

I see the KICKR is now also available on the Australian Apple Store, free shipping and same RRP. Could be an option if you can't find one from anywhere else.

/begin self promotion

I recently published an App to the App Store for running the KICKR through some intervals. Hurts Ergo is pretty basic, but you can't complain about the price :wink: . More details on the Hurts Development website, or you could just jump straight into the app itself (iTunes link: Hurts Ergo).

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:09 pm

lock_ wrote:
/begin self promotion

I recently published an App to the App Store for running the KICKR through some intervals. Hurts Ergo is pretty basic, but you can't complain about the price :wink: . More details on the Hurts Development website, or you could just jump straight into the app itself (iTunes link: Hurts Ergo).
That's awesome lock!

lock_

Postby lock_ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks. First time I've done anything for an iOS/Apple device, wanted something simple to get familiar with the development environment. Was only meant to be a few weekends work, but ended up taking somewhat longer. Apple threw a bit of a curve ball when they requested I send the trainer to them for testing, but we were able to work around that. There's still a few little things I need to tidy up; spindown calibration, and switching to resistance mode at the end of each workout come to mind.

I'd really like to do a race simulator/game, including multiplayer and NPCs (Non-Player Characters). The physics of bike racing are pretty well researched; drafting, climbing, wind effects have all been written up in a number of papers. To some extent so has the capability of riders themselves, through power curves, fatigue models, oxygen deficit and so on. But what really gets me is how you'd make a NPC smart enough to be fun to race against.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:11 pm

If u wrote into your app the facility to race riders remotely in real time u would make a killing..

Ie: I want to race u, on a known course (for example col du galibier) and we are in different states... We sit on our bikes, wait for the start and race each other up the climb with our positions marked on the app, or projected to a TV, like I do with an Apple TV.

This is where I find Kinomap great, as there are imaginary riders your competing against. The downfall with kinomap is the lack of decent rolling courses to choose from. Not everyone wants to smash themselves on a Col du xxxx or Alpe d'Huez everyday!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:30 pm

I bought a kickr a couple of months back... Just awesome.

The erg mode is unique and awesome for FTP training.

It's devastating when used with sufferfest videos.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Comedian wrote:I bought a kickr a couple of months back... Just awesome.

The erg mode is unique and awesome for FTP training.

It's devastating when used with sufferfest videos.
Got any vids of your setup (in use or not)?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:13 am

lock_ wrote:Picked mine up through the LBS, they're not keeping them in stock due to the low markup on the RRP, but were happy enough to order one in. FE Sports are now the distributor, so any shop selling Garmins should be able to get one in. Mine showed up a week after the order was placed, but that was back a few months ago.

I see the KICKR is now also available on the Australian Apple Store, free shipping and same RRP. Could be an option if you can't find one from anywhere else.

/begin self promotion

Good job! The app looks very good. :)