Seeking info on Wahoo Kickr

Xplora

Re: Seeking info on Wahoo Kickr

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:31 am

Yeah that's why I want to use golden cheetah, just make the customisation easier. Erg files suck! Testing golden cheetah and ant+ key today.

Krank

Postby Krank » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:44 am

Let us know how your testing goes..

Do you use TR at all?

Krank

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Dunno why everyone is obsessed with these "out of the box" solutions. I do enjoy the "development/creation" aspect, and I'm happy to read the books and work on things myself, so I don't find the value in TR/SF/Zwift/strava premium etc etc. You get faster by training, not spending money. The pedals don't know if you are watching a screen or your Garmin.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:32 am

If they're like me, out of the box is good because we don't have time to stuff around getting things to work and finding what we need & developing/creating a training plan.

I plug it in and it all works. I open TR and either open the next workout in my training plan, or search for one which meets what I want to do (<1min). Then I ride. This actually lets me spend more time training than anything else!

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Yeah no reason you can't do it yourself, but I think it's easily worth the minor fee for TR. The workouts and training plans have had a lot of thought put in them and work really well.

Zwift is also a bit more interesting to watch than your Garmin.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:57 pm

10 bucks a month on a couple platforms equals 20-30 bucks a month. A coach is 99 a month, and will look at your progress. In for a penny, in for a pound. That's my perspective anyway. The reading and understanding you gain from self coaching can be just as illuminating as the actual training for some. Not all... I do know some clever people who just can't self coach, so there is a market.

Jase86

Postby Jase86 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:43 pm

@Xplora

If you had a laptop and ant+ stick, I would recommend purchasing PerfPro. Pretty detailed program, you can also create your own intervals/workouts, and it has a stack of workouts already. Program come with a 14 day free trial. UI may not be the best/prettiest, but it gets the job done. Also has pretty graphs where you can track you CTL, TSB etc, if you are into that thing. The program also allows PM to control the resistance of the kickr, as it has known to have power drifts once the kickr warms up.

However if you don't have a laptop or ant stick, then obv this a lot of money to put out, however if you like your numbers..

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 pm

PerfPro vs Golden Cheetah?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:33 am

Xplora wrote:PerfPro vs Golden Cheetah?
Another vote for PerfPro. You can download a lot of workouts.

kb

Seeking info on Wahoo Kickr

Postby kb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:34 am

Pretty much everything connects (or should) to erg.db - a few hundred workouts from memory.

Don't know much about Perf pro, it's a non-starter for me not running in Linux or OS X. The next Golden Cheetah dev release including workout editor and player improvements is expected to be early Feb.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:20 am

Another PerfPro user here. I used TrainerRoad for years prior to the switch. There are literally thousands of workouts available for free.
I share Xploras concerns that $10 per month is nothing but once you start adding up multiple subscriptions it adds up.

PerfPro is much better for sufferfest video playback that TR IMO. It can control multiple trainers which is a lot of fun if you have a mate drop round.
I really don't like Golden Cheetah. The UI is too irritating for me. I've read Maximum trainer is very good. Its free and works on macs. Not tried it though.
https://maximumtrainer.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:21 am

kb wrote:Pretty much everything connects (or should) to erg.db - a few hundred workouts from memory.

Don't know much about Perf pro, it's a non-starter for me not running in Linux or OS X. The next Golden Cheetah dev release including workout editor and player improvements is expected to be early Feb.
oh, just run bootcamp or use VMWare or even the free VirtualBox (then install windows in Virtual Box as a VM).

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:44 pm

g-boaf wrote: oh, just run bootcamp or use VMWare or even the free VirtualBox (then install windows in Virtual Box as a VM).
Yeah, it's the running Windows part I object to :-)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Hopefully getting a proper trial of GC tonight after kids are sorted out tonight.