reliable and durable hrm?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat May 09, 2015 9:52 am

I've been thinking about getting a hrm to help improve my cycling and general fitness. A big put off for a long time has been the general bad feedback from chest mounted straps ( from what I've gleaned from the net, garmin hrm's commonly expire after 6 months with the polar ones fairing slightly better).
And aside from that, I can't see myself strapping something to my chest and applying surgical gels to ensure accurate readings.

what has piqued my interest are wrist mounted smart watches. I have read a bit about the top end fitbit ones and also a little on the mio' s.

It would be good to have ant enabled ones so it works well my garmin edge. For this reason I am thinking something like the muo fuse or velo.

Does anyone have any experience with these or ideas on how they compare to the regular fair of chest mounted straps in terms of accuracy and durability?
Last edited by Cheesewheel on Sat May 09, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go!Run!GAH!

kb

Postby kb » Sat May 09, 2015 11:16 am

Reports I've heard are less accuracy, more reliant on good fit. Won't be able to use for HRV but you may not want to. Vary a lot depending on the hardware/producer. I guess you won't get flapping jersey syndrome but there could be issues bending your wrist and letting light in. Won't work with dark tattoos on your wrist either ;-)
You could also consider a helmet (forehead) HRM but I haven't heard much on them.
[edit no direct experience though, so apply a discount]

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat May 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Cheesewheel, I don't know where you are getting the bad feedback from about chest straps. I've been using Polar HRM chest straps for 27 years without a problem. I rarely replace them and have never used (or needed to use) a gel to ensure readings despite my hairy chest.
To put it in perspective, I use the chest strap every ride and have averaged around 9,000km a year for the last 27 years.
Andrew

Xplora

Re: reliable and durable hrm?

Postby Xplora » Sun May 10, 2015 9:37 am

Wrist option is terrible for a cyclist. Aero will cost you dearly. The watch is a triathlon and run solution. Runners can't see real time but their effort is easier to check because they go much slower, and triathletes use a mount on the bike. If you aren't using it real time on a bike you might as well not bother. I have used no hrm and just my power meter for months now. Found I don't really care about HR with the other option available to me. I like the helmet option, but it restricts my helmet choice too much.

Chest straps are very reliable. I would observe the fact that straps are extremely well established technology and some users will have issues due to different salt content in their sweat or chest shape. The strap IS consumable though after 12 months. The sensor unit though, should keep going.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun May 10, 2015 8:17 pm

thanks xplora and gabrielle for dispersing my fears about chest hrm's.

I was hesitant because googling the subject (mostly garmin) seems to bring up pages of individuals saying how their hrm goes from fine to inaccurate after several months and then abruptly to completely defunct .. even after getting them replaced under warranty, having a well maintained strap, new battery etc.

Despite all this I might go for a garmin HRM. I would have preferred the polar since it seems to get better feedback from satisfied customers but I want to keep everything +ant so I don't render my edge 800 redundant. Other branded +ant hrm's seem to be more or less in the same price bracket but I have been eyeing a new garmin 510 so it seems to make more sense to pick one up a hrm in a performance bundle (so it will probably work out as something like an extra $40 slice within the performance bundle).

I think I will make sure I buy one locally from a reputable dealer so I can easily get it sorted if I run into any issues.
Go!Run!GAH!

kb

Postby kb » Mon May 11, 2015 12:17 am

As Xplora said, the strap's replaceable (although mine's lasted 3.5 years / 40,000km). You can also use a Polar strap with a Garmin transmitter if or when it fails.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 am

My Magellan HRM produced spikes on both rides over the weekend. This replaced a Garmin and Polar both of which were subject to spiking, although the frequency was reduced by gel and ant-static spray. If you really want to buy a Garmin HRM then choose the old model which had a plastic strap (reports are that it was very reliable, if a little uncomfortable).

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon May 11, 2015 1:19 pm

I've had multiple Garmin premium heart rate straps and they have all been rubbish. My partner has had the same trouble, I think we've had five all up between us and none have lasted more than a few months. I had much more success with the old style strap but I gave it to my brother when I "upgraded" to the premium version. I don't bother with heart rate anymore, but if I did I would avoid the garmin premium straps and go for the original style.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue May 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Xplora wrote:Wrist option is terrible for a cyclist. Aero will cost you dearly.
Holy cow you make me laugh sometimes Xp.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed May 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Just got a $55 dollar magellan hrm from JB hifi today ... and my garmin can't pair to it (yes it is +ant). Plan to take it back tomorrow.

Poor introduction to hrm chest units ...

:x
Go!Run!GAH!

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:05 am

The premium HR strap from Garmin is crap, but the older one is awesome. I have had one of these older HR strap for years with no problem.

Premium one = crap: https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by ... 15490.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Older one = awesome: https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by ... 10996.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other choice is the Wahoo HR monitor with a garmin head unit. Apparently the Wahoo ones are great as well.
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu May 14, 2015 11:50 am

Cheesewheel wrote:I was hesitant because googling the subject (mostly garmin) seems to bring up pages of individuals saying how their hrm goes from fine to inaccurate after several months and then abruptly to completely defunct .. even after getting them replaced under warranty, having a well maintained strap, new battery etc.
That's true with the premium straps. I got one for my flatmate and it died after a couple of months. I bought a knock off replacement strap from china and it is still going strong. It was under $10 I think. The unit works fine, it is the strap that breaks.

I have the old garmin HRM that is still going strong from 2011.
<removed by request>

jack11

Postby jack11 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:59 am

r2160 wrote:The premium HR strap from Garmin is crap, but the older one is awesome. I have had one of these older HR strap for years with no problem.

Premium one = crap: https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by ... 15490.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Older one = awesome: https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by ... 10996.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other choice is the Wahoo HR monitor with a garmin head unit. Apparently the Wahoo ones are great as well.
I have the older model and have had all the problems described above and the monitor no longer works at all.

Is there a general consensus on what the best HRM is that is compatible with a Garmin Edge 500?

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:47 am

I have one of the premium anti-static Garmin soft straps now (compared to my old premium non anti static...). Noticed the manual says to rinse after every use and wash every 7. Definitely abused the last one :-). It also has helpful hints if you're suffering from static to try wearing a cotton top or wet your shirt. Yeah, but no.

Andrew28

Postby Andrew28 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:55 pm

r2160 wrote:The premium HR strap from Garmin is crap, but the older one is awesome. I have had one of these older HR strap for years with no problem.

My experience has been the complete opposite. I wear mine in the shower after each use - and that seems to help. Also have far less issues with static - but do have one jersey it doesn't agree with.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:19 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:Just got a $55 dollar magellan hrm from JB hifi today ... and my garmin can't pair to it (yes it is +ant). Plan to take it back tomorrow.

Poor introduction to hrm chest units ...

:x
I have the same Magellan HRM and my Garmin paired with it fine.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:09 pm

I am using the strap from a cycleops powercal with the hrm unit from a Garmin premium HR strap. That seems to be okay.

I don't have too many dramas with it not working as my chest isn't hairy and my jerseys don't seem to cause issues with it.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:36 pm

I am thinking of trying the Scosche RHYTHM+ strap out, but on the upper arm. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scos ... tical.html

I have new and old garmin straps and all have failed quickly after around an hours riding. The polar strap worked well for the last couple of years but the strap itself is running out of life hence looking for alternatives. I wash mine in the shower as I am waiting for the water to warm up and also now started putting it into the washing machine (as per the washing instructions).
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:42 pm

cancan64 wrote:I am thinking of trying the Scosche RHYTHM+ strap out, but on the upper arm. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scos ... tical.html
Pity the battery life is only 8 hours.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:44 pm

Yes.. Another device that needs constant charging... I am lucky I use 2 computers at work to charge lights, garmin, cameras
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:14 am

Just got myself a Scosche Rythm+ at JB hifi - on sale at $98 at the moment :) (and $50 voucher to halve that). Works well, pairs instantly (Garmin 500) and picks up a pulse in a few seconds. Comes with a long and short strap, the long is for the upper arm above/below the elbow and the short strap is only long enough for the wrist. The latter has become my first preference, easier to put on under a base layer top, and works just fine there. Strap is soft and comfortable, and replacements are pretty cheap and several colours available.

Haven't tested out the charge life, but 8 hours should get me a week between top ups.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Back to the OP - I have a Fitbit Surge and I suffer the Garmin HR premium straps. I have found that the Fitbit and Garmin are pretty damn concordant, but of course the Fitbit isn't ANT+.

If all you want is HR tracking, then the Fitbit Surge is great if you want GPS, or just the Charge HR if all you want is HR.

And I'll scour for the Wahoo HR straps now.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

petie

Postby petie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:05 am

MattyK wrote:Just got myself a Scosche Rythm+ at JB hifi - on sale at $98 at the moment :) (and $50 voucher to halve that). Works well, pairs instantly (Garmin 500) and picks up a pulse in a few seconds. Comes with a long and short strap, the long is for the upper arm above/below the elbow and the short strap is only long enough for the wrist. The latter has become my first preference, easier to put on under a base layer top, and works just fine there. Strap is soft and comfortable, and replacements are pretty cheap and several colours available.

Haven't tested out the charge life, but 8 hours should get me a week between top ups.
I love my rhythm +, use it with my phone and magellan cyclo 105 without issue, still getting 8 + hours after 6 months of regular use (charging once or twice a week). Works fine with my moon tan, it does have to be relatively firm to read accurately, but that's the only caveat. Unlike the chest straps I used to suffer through (polar excluded).

petie

Postby petie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:08 am

biker jk wrote:
cancan64 wrote:I am thinking of trying the Scosche RHYTHM+ strap out, but on the upper arm. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scos ... tical.html
How long do you ride for?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:26 am

petie wrote:
biker jk wrote:
How long do you ride for?
Well I've done Audax rides of 200, 300 and 400km so an 8 hour battery life isn't going to be sufficient. Even if I wasn't dong Audax rides I'd have to charge it at least every week.