New trends in indoor group trainers.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:37 pm

From R/GA FutureVision

One health club brand's latest twist on the indoor spin session.
Recognizing members’ desire for collaborative activities, Equinox introduced a connected cycling program. During the class, cyclists generate data, which is used to power an immersive, gamified experience. Members can track their activity and compare it with other riders, creating a friendly, competitive environment.
https://futurevision.rga.com/videos/rga ... ness-club/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Re: New trends in indoor group trainers.

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:57 pm

But how is this better than any number of others who have been doing training with power on indoor trainers in a group environment for a long time?
Members can track their activity and compare it with other riders, creating a friendly, competitive environment.
What's the point of that? Unless all people are of equal fitness.

The key is to complete the session, rather than competing with someone else at an impossible level and then exploding (and not finishing the workout).

TheShadow

Re: New trends in indoor group trainers.

Postby TheShadow » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:38 pm

g-boaf wrote: The key is to complete the session, rather than competing with someone else at an impossible level and then exploding (and not finishing the workout).
I completely agree. It's making every training session a full-on race, which can only lead to mental and physical burnout, assuming most don't simply get utterly discouraged from the get go. You need lots of time when you're only focusing on what you are doing, not the other person. Incremental improvements from your own baseline.

I seriously don't know if I'm not going to end up on some sort of wind-trainer or spin bike...and whether or not I could stand it for more than a few sessions. :|

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:57 pm

I am in a group with 10,000 others competing online :wink: ... yeah you can only "race" with guys who are roughly your level.
Obviously you don't have to race and there are training groups etc who stick together.
The main problem is the data... plenty of rockets around who would drop LA like a sack of spuds.
Other problem being my son is too good on a certain computer game and gets too many DOS attacks which spoil my ride!