Trainer Tyre Question

JdM

Trainer Tyre Question

Postby JdM » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:28 pm

A quick question for the knowledgeable folk... I've finally set myself up with a fluid trainer at home and have am using a left over OEM wheel as a dedicated 'trainer wheel' for it.

Naturally, I've popped an specific indoor training tyre on it (one of these: http://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/insider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

It's rated for quite a large range pressure wise - 85 to 145 PSI. Can anyone tell me what the optimum use pressure might be? Can't seem to find much on the manufacturer's website.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

Derny Driver

Re: Trainer Tyre Question

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:12 pm

I always run my trainer tyres at lower pressures ...around 90.
No idea what is optimum, but higher pressures give a smaller contact patch and wear the tyre quicker.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:23 pm

I just run normal pressures... but then I don't use a specific tyre. I think as long as your tyre doesn't slip then it is fine.
BTW my tyres never wear on a HT... but the alloy drum has certainly worn over the years!

JdM

Postby JdM » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:19 am

Derny Driver wrote:No idea what is optimum, but higher pressures give a smaller contact patch and wear the tyre quicker.
Yeah that makes sense.
toolonglegs wrote:I just run normal pressures... but then I don't use a specific tyre. I think as long as your tyre doesn't slip then it is fine.
BTW my tyres never wear on a HT... but the alloy drum has certainly worn over the years!
I thought noise was one of the benefits of a trainer tyre? Figured it was a worth a go anyway, seeing as I have a 'dedicated' wheel for it now.

Cheers guys, appreciate the responses.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:30 am

I use an old wheel and tyre on the trainer. I pump it up to about 100psi and forget about it until it's down around 60, can't say I notice much difference it just starts to look a bit squishy

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:32 pm

I run mine at 100 to 110, but I only use gatorskins on it

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:26 pm

I run a Continental trainer tyre, same one for 5years, bright orange - hmmm. I do a lot of work on the trainer. I run 80 psi, not for any reason. But what I will say is that I run the same pressure exactly for every session. I adjust the tension to the exactly the same for every session - just what Cyclops tell me to do. This is important if you want to compare efforts over time. The tension is important because sweat can create small slippage in a sprint session.