strava training plan review

robwebster901

strava training plan review

Postby robwebster901 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:33 pm

Strava training program review
Before starting the Strava program I searched for a review, couldn’t find any, by someone who had actually done a Strava cycling training plan. I don’t have access to a coach and the closest thing I had to a structured program was a couple of GCN videos. Before I delve into the program I need to put it into some sort of context, I have just turned 50, have been riding a bike, very casually, for about 10 years a mountain bike to begin with then a hybrid. At x-mas Santa was very kind and I got my first serious road bike. I had been a Strava member for a while and had a 21km time trial route with my PR from the hybrid. The first attempt at the TT on the road bike was a struggle but I set a new PR, a few more weeks of training my way I made another attempt and smashed the PR again. Since then though I have only made small improvements. So I thought I’d give one of Strava’s training plans ago. I am 2 weeks into the program and although I haven’t put it to the ultimate test I can already feel the effects. I have missed one session of the plan but other than that have stuck to the prescribe workouts and I am exhausted and I mean that in a good way. I actually feel like I am training right, not just riding as hard as I can here and there. The workouts vary in intensity and structure, for example I signed upto the six minute climb program, kind of thinking that it would be all about climb repeats but thus far there have only to days of climb repeats the other days have been either endurance ride or intervals of varying intensity and duration
If you are like me and just getting into cycling seriously, then I think these programs are a great help and would recommend giving them ago
*warning be prepared the workouts are pretty tough