VO2 interval training

Macca_CX

VO2 interval training

Postby Macca_CX » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:53 pm

As part of my training program, I was scheduled to compete a VO2 interval training session this evening. This is the second time in recent weeks I have had to complete these intervals. Becore that I have not used VO2 training techniques.

The training required me to complete (after warm up) 5min threshold followed by 10 X 10s vo2 intervals with 20s rest in between followed by recovery.Then repeat.

As with the first time, I struggled to complete 10 reps. I found that by the 6th rep I could not get my heart rate up to the required threshold even though my breathing was ragged (could even feel my asthma kickin in) and legs burning. Essentially it seemed I couldn't put out any power and therefore couldn't get my heart rate up Even leading up to the 6th rep I found I just tipped over into VO2 .
I found I didn't have the energy to complete the second set of intervals tonight.

What I would like to know is whether this is 'normal' when starting VO2 training. I dont believe I went in hard at the start of the intervals. I would appreciate any advice or even hearing of peoples experience when training in vo2.
Thanks

CKinnard

Re: VO2 interval training

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:04 pm

whoever devised this program doesn't know what they are talking about.

1. You don't do 10" max effort sprints 10 times in a row with a 20" recovery. That is not adequate recovery time.
2. You don't target a HR for a 10" sprint.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:09 pm

For me VO2 intervals would be from 3 to 8 minutes at 105-120% FTP. Heart rate isn't a good guide on short efforts of 3 to 5 minutes so I don't really know how you can use heart rate as a guide on 10 sec efforts!.
I am not sure how much 10s on / 20s off works the VO2, sure it works in some... pretty obviously you are going way over V02 type power in these efforts hence you can finish the set.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:10 pm

CKinnard wrote:whoever devised this program doesn't know what they are talking about.

1. You don't do 10" max effort sprints 10 times in a row with a 20" recovery. That is not adequate recovery time.
He didn't actually say he was doing max sprint efforts... supposed to be VO2 level efforts ... but I expect he is doing way over VO2.

OP... read up on Over / Under intervals ... don't go as hard as you are now, reduce your power till you can finish the set comfortably then build up from there. Once you have done it a few times you will know what you can handle... and do it by feel, not HR ( read up on RPE ).

Macca_CX

Postby Macca_CX » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks all for your replies.

After re reading instructions and comments above I think I might seek clarification about what is exactly required.

On reflection and thinking about how it felt, maybe I did go in to hard which is why I struggled to continue the reps.
I think more research is also in order.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:55 pm

I think I can see what they are trying to do with that, but the HR surely isn't useful for such short intervals. If your legs are dieing, maybe you are doing the efforts too hard? You've got to complete the set at least.

Have you got a power meter so you can work out your FTP? Then you can go from that and RPE.

10sec they would be at 145%, right? 10 of those with a short recovery period would hurt.

But I suspect the over and under would work better - or try 6x3min at 120% as a start. Those work well.

Some days you might just be tired too. If you are going to smash yourself - then you've got to sleep well and look after yourself.
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:25 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
CKinnard wrote:whoever devised this program doesn't know what they are talking about.

He didn't actually say he was doing max sprint efforts... supposed to be VO2 level efforts ... but I expect he is doing way over VO2.

OP... read up on Over / Under intervals ... don't go as hard as you are now, reduce your power till you can finish the set comfortably then build up from there. Once you have done it a few times you will know what you can handle... and do it by feel, not HR ( read up on RPE ).
yeah you are right. my sloppiness....meant VO2max efforts.
as you alluded, VO2max efforts are typically 3-8minutes, with recovery 50-100% of effort duration.
still not a good idea to use HR for these durations.

How do you structure your under/overs? What do your 'overs' look like? How spiked? How long relative to unders?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Me?... I am no expert on them. But have done them on the home trainer and rollers before. They make the time pass quicker indoors :lol: . I usually do a 20 sec "spin up" ... 40 sec "spin down". I would say I usually spin up to about 450w ( around my 5 minute max ) ... then spin down to around 200w. I usually do two 10 minute sessions ... they hurt indoors but then I need bigger fans!.

Guys over here go on about the "Gimenez" test / protocol ... not quite the same but another good way to pass time indoors.

NeillS

Postby NeillS » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:54 pm

As above. I do regular 6x3min VO2 max intervals with a 4min recovery between each one. My FTP is about 290, I target 360w for each 3 min effort.

I also do regular surge training which targets anaerobic power zones - 30 sec at 475w, 30 sec easy x10 reps over 10 mins.

Both target different power zones, with some crossover between the two. However the second one will increase your ability to replicate anaerobic efforts repeatedly (such as in bunch racing) which the first one will help you develop your VO2 max ability, which is a different thing.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:41 am

A related question, is there much point doing 1.5 min intervals? If so what does it target? I am asking because there is a nice hill near me which takes about 1.5 min to get up pedaling at my maximum.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:35 am

zill wrote:A related question, is there much point doing 1.5 min intervals? If so what does it target? I am asking because there is a nice hill near me which takes about 1.5 min to get up pedaling at my maximum.
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:20 pm

toolonglegs wrote:For me VO2 intervals would be from 3 to 8 minutes at 105-120% FTP. Heart rate isn't a good guide on short efforts of 3 to 5 minutes so I don't really know how you can use heart rate as a guide on 10 sec efforts!.
I am not sure how much 10s on / 20s off works the VO2, sure it works in some... pretty obviously you are going way over V02 type power in these efforts hence you can finish the set.
Indeed. HR has a sizeable lag time.

Comparison of HR response during longer threshold level intervals and shorter VO2max inducing efforts:

As we can see, HR isn't going to be particularly helpful for guiding such short efforts and will be even worse for shorter harder stuff. Interval are over before HR gets anywhere near the intended level.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:52 pm

CKinnard wrote:
zill wrote:A related question, is there much point doing 1.5 min intervals? If so what does it target? I am asking because there is a nice hill near me which takes about 1.5 min to get up pedaling at my maximum.
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that. Looks like intervals of all duration are useful in different ways.