How long to recover from extreme exertion?

ausrandoman

How long to recover from extreme exertion?

Postby ausrandoman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 pm

I have done a few 1200 km / 90 hour Audax rides. I find it takes me 2 - 3 months before I return to normal vigor.

I completed Paris-Brest-Paris on August 20 then tackled the 110 km Amy Gillett Gran Fondo last Sunday, just over 3 weeks later. It was my fifth hit-out for the Lorne ride. I knew PBP was not going to help - but that's how the calendar panned out. This time, my average heart rate for the event was the highest ever and my average speed was the lowest. Sigh. My heart seems normal (blood pressure 110/65, resting heart rate 53 bpm) but somehow the muscles are not delivering.

I can't understand how some people can go all-out in a big event and be ready for more a couple of days later. I think I will have to take a break from training for a while.

Any suggestions?

petie

Re: How long to recover from extreme exertion?

Postby petie » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:10 pm

Cracker of a day for it, wasn't it?

Many factors to be considered here. What has your recovery been like? What was your training load before pbp? Were you pushing on the gran fondo or just cruising?

After a bit of mtb racing and a couple of gran fondos I have quickly realised my (lack of) potential. I take ALOT longer than others to recover and just don't have the aerobic capacity to set any records. Training helps, but I'm just nothing special.

Is it abnormal for you to recover this slowly? 3 weeks isn't much time to recover even moderately, especially including jet lag...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:00 pm

I would expect 1 month minimum... while intensity levels might not be high on a PBP, I would think sleep deprivation would accumulate a huge amount of fatigue. Also would depend on how well you managed yourself during the event... add in a 24-36 hour journey home with associated jet lag etc.
You wouldn't really expect to do a 24 hour MTB race solo without a good months rest afterwards. I am not saying rest as laying on the couch of course.
Plus there is the mental "come down" from such a big event ... you build yourself up for these events and when they are over it can take a while to bounce back mentally.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Thanks, that's re-assuring. I'll keep off the bike for a week or two then ease back into it.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:06 am

My Suunto Ambit 3 suggests 120 hours recovery time after doing a 200 km brevet. I'd hate to know what it would say after a 1200.

I'm not sure whether staying off the bike is the best approach - the increased blood flow from a gentle (zone 0) recovery ride can actually help the recovery process. Just keep it gentle, and relatively short.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:02 am

Why on earth would you stay off the bike? :?

A recovery period should be used for gentle spin to keep the legs moving. Miss a day here and there, sure but do the gentle spin as it's all about keeping your legs moving and not losing the gains made! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Age would be a factor too in recovery, the older you are the more time it takes to recover.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 pm

It is arguable that PBP is an achievement for a lifetime, like the Ironman races. It is normal to take a 2-3 break after such an event. Allow yourself to unload all that stress.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:42 pm

It takes what it takes to recover. Never compare yourself to others in your ability to attempt something like these long rides, or your ability to recover. Your physiology is yours, theirs is theirs.

joomz

Postby joomz » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:09 pm

I've wondered about this question too. I've noticed I can do day after day of 100km higher intensity rides and be ready for the next one and build up good fitness. But having done a bunch of 400s, 600s and a 1200, I'm convinced that rides of that length are bad for my fitness. It takes too long to recover so I can't do normal ftp intervals for quite a while. I've got mates that do the same rides but seem to get back into it a lot quicker so recovery times probably are somewhat dependent on the individual. I'd think nutrition probably also comes into it too. We probably damage a fair bit of muscle on long rides that needs quality food to help rebuild.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Obviously it is a matter of what consititutes "extreme".

There used to be a general rule for marathon runners of a day per mile. However like so much of sports "science" of those days it was not based on any form of evidence whatsoever. I guess if marathons had started as kms instead of miles it would have been a day per km.

I recall something like a month to recover from a marathon but that also factored in the extreme training leading up to the the event. And I don't know if that is for elite runners or just me.

Of some relevance would be how long it takes to replenished a greatly diminished red cell count? There would be other measurable body metrics to be considered.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle