How important is the endurance 3hr+ ride?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: How important is the endurance 3hr+ ride?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:56 am

zill wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote: How far you go with cycling will still be determined inter alia by your inherited physiological characteristics. For someone that is fit and with average physiology (e.g. average VO2max), it would not matter what training they did, they will never become competitive at the professional level of the sport.
So you think the VO2max is more important than the 20 minute power as an indicator of potential?
No.

As I said, it just buys a ticket to the game. If your fit VO2max is 45ml/kg/min then it won't matter what you do, you won't become a competitive professional cyclist.

I think best indicator of potential is how you perform in races.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:36 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
zill wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote: How far you go with cycling will still be determined inter alia by your inherited physiological characteristics. For someone that is fit and with average physiology (e.g. average VO2max), it would not matter what training they did, they will never become competitive at the professional level of the sport.
So you think the VO2max is more important than the 20 minute power as an indicator of potential?
No.

As I said, it just buys a ticket to the game. If your fit VO2max is 45ml/kg/min then it won't matter what you do, you won't become a competitive professional cyclist.

This is so true! :idea: Playing at training and racing are poles apart, so if you can't cut it in a race, all of your training wannabe figures count for zip. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

zill

Postby zill » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
zill wrote:
No.

Ok my question is just about the ticket. Is 20 min power or vo2max more important with regards to getting the ticket?

Note I don't want to be a pro cyclist.

Let's consider only these two things for now.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:50 pm

zill wrote:Ok my question is just about the ticket. Is 20 min power or vo2max more important with regards to getting the ticket?

Note I don't want to be a pro cyclist.

Let's consider only these two things for now.
It depends.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:30 pm

The long ride is crucial for beginners to go to the next level. The single biggest change I have seen in the last couple of years was the Strava Gran Fondo. Dudes went from 70km weekend warriors to doing 150 once a month and they became animals who started to pull turns instead of hiding in the bunch.

Once you have done 200 a weekend for a month, you have to try something different. But if you can't keep a 100km ride in your diet, for any reason, cycling isn't for you. 'ride lots' is a quotable quote for a reason.