Training on exercise bikes?

Tyrantrum

Training on exercise bikes?

Postby Tyrantrum » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi, dear all,

I am considering if I should buy a exercise bike for training, because I don't want to ride outside in the coming summer days.
So, my question is: whether exercise bikes would spoil my riding position or cause some necessary injuries in joints?

TIA
regards

dalai47

Re: Training on exercise bikes?

Postby dalai47 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Buy a trainer, so you can use your bike indoors.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:11 pm

+1 to the trainer. Exercise bikes are strange things. Yes they do put you in a different position with the cranks more underneath you so if anything the exercise bike will be less likely to cause injury with that position (as long as you have the seat in the right place! i.e correct height).

But go the Trainer you can get some pretty decent cheap trainers that will do the job if you have a well fitting bike already.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:31 pm

It depends on the exercise bike. Many can be setup so that the position is identical to your bike while others can't. Another thing to look at is Q-factor ie how wide apart the pedals are.

At the end of the day if you spend $200 on an exercise bike you get a $200 exercise bike. The quality ones are priced accordingly
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Tyrantrum

Postby Tyrantrum » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

At the same time I read an article about comparison between these two training equipment, although I think it is not quite professional, I just read it as a reference :
http://www.livestrong.com/article/28321 ... ise-bikes/

Any opinions on that article?
BTW, I am getting a trainer, and meanwhile going for a gym to use the exercise bikes. I'll try comparing them practically.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:20 pm

Tyrantrum wrote:Thanks guys, that's helpful.

At the same time I read an article about comparison between these two training equipment, although I think it is not quite professional, I just read it as a reference :
http://www.livestrong.com/article/28321 ... ise-bikes/

Any opinions on that article?
BTW, I am getting a trainer, and meanwhile going for a gym to use the exercise bikes. I'll try comparing them practically.
At the gym, have a go on the spin bikes in the spin room, there's a good chance they are better ones than are in the general exercise area. Also post some photos of the bike here and I'm likely to be able to give you some feedback on that bike

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Tyrantrum wrote: BTW, I am getting a trainer, and meanwhile going for a gym to use the exercise bikes. I'll try comparing them practically.
In my experience, having had a gym membership and doing intervals on the "exercise" bike. Compared to using my Kickr on Zwift... my time was totally wasted in the gym. With the trainer I get to do hi intensity rides in a fast bunch setting with a real bike experience. Or various Zwift workouts. I've never been so strong on the bike.

... I should qualify that by saying that I am at the low end of riding ability :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:40 pm

Paul B wrote:
Tyrantrum wrote: BTW, I am getting a trainer, and meanwhile going for a gym to use the exercise bikes. I'll try comparing them practically.
In my experience, having had a gym membership and doing intervals on the "exercise" bike. Compared to using my Kickr on Zwift... my time was totally wasted in the gym. With the trainer I get to do hi intensity rides in a fast bunch setting with a real bike experience. Or various Zwift workouts. I've never been so strong on the bike.

... I should qualify that by saying that I am at the low end of riding ability :)
LOL, I'm the opposite, all my training is on indoor bikes as its what I do for a job

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:56 pm

mikesbytes wrote: LOL, I'm the opposite, all my training is on indoor bikes as its what I do for a job
That would be a good job. I reckon you would be super fit :!: :!: :!: