Old Fool in Lycra

nemo57

Old Fool in Lycra

Postby nemo57 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 pm

So here's the story: I'm almost 61, a shade over 90Kg, stumpy legs, arthritis in the right knee following removal of meniscus in youth, had prostate cancer though that seems fixed, irregular heart beat 1/4 of the time (supposedly) and as far as I'm concerned, I'm every bit as indestructible as I was at 18. And I'm gonna ride the Melbourne to Sorrento and back leg of the round the bay come this October or I'll be damned. And I'm gonna have a delicious cigarette on the Sorrento foreshore and another one at the end (I'd have more but it's too hard to roll 'em and steer at the same time.) And maybe a couple of pies and a vanilla slice.
I've read the newierider thread and arbuckle23's too. Seriously for a minute, as I'm starting from a lower and more decrepit base than either of them, does it make sense for me to do something similar but scaled back - say starting with my "long" ride at 40-45km and 4 other days/week varying 1-2 hours in the saddle? Or would it be better at this stage just to ride time and forget about distance altogether? I'm not ready for hills yet.
I have actually ridden 40km twice in the past week; first time paused 5k from the finish because I saw from the corner of my eye the most beautiful beer I've ever laid my tired eyes on, and I just had to drink it. They really should sell the stuff. But today I shunned it and pressed on home. Besides, it was a bit early, even for me.

brumby33

Re: Old Fool in Lycra

Postby brumby33 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Mate...i reckon you're ready for the Tour de France....you'll kill 'em :P
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Do it. The looks I get when I pull up to the shops and then proceed to light up makes it all worth it.
Same boat as yourself. except I'm sinking into decrepitude on various fronts.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Ah you old fool ... youve told us about your drinking and smoking ... spare us the details about the wild women and the rock and roll. Anyone with the drive to set a goal like you have will have no problem achieving it. No need to set specific targets this far out. Try to ride your bike 3 to 4 times a week .. distance doesnt matter. Get out there while the weather is good and enjoy yourself. Later in the year we can get specific.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:59 pm

Do it. Put in the work and it will work out. I did the 210 easily in the end. I loved the achievement and had such a great time I will do it again this year. Never too old, have a go and be proud of what you achieve.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, comrades. I'll report in in due course.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 am

Do it but the cancer sticks will do zip for your breathing! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 pm

My context - even older than you, a fair bit of arthritis that, post heart-arrest, can no longer be kept at bay with anti-inflamatories. I had to give up the bike some 15 years ago due to accumulated sport and arthritis but am still quite active and keen to remain so. So I value more than many the need to do whatever needs to be done in the interests of longevity. As you likely also value.

So, and assuming that you are not already a highly active fit sextuagenarian, do NOT set a target of distance or how hard to go until you have done a couple of gentle months. Maybe three or four times a week building up to, say, a couple of hours. Just work enough to build up a bit of endurance but do not test your body outside of that.

Once that's done you should be able to work out what you can do. At that stage any advice from others is unlikely then to be any better than your own (though it's still worth seeking).

Happy travels.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:02 am

Eh thanks, chaps. I have taken very much to heart Derny and others' advice elsewhere about not getting injured, conscious that at this age recovery is slowed. Though I did gently kiss the tarmac a week or so ago, and frankly I don't bounce as I used-ta-could. It's not too bad though: the muscles are working no worse than before. And now - it's lycra-time!

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:25 am

I think I like the term Old Fool in Lycra.
I am too old for the MAMIL tag, so I think I will refer to myself as an OFIL from now on :D :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Some posts from my blog you may find useful:

Base training - why you need to build up slow to go fast
http://www.simplycyclingtraining.com/base-training/

As you're starting out, I'd stretch the Prep and Base 1 phases out to a couple of months each.

Looking after yourself in hot conditions:
http://www.simplycyclingtraining.com/ri ... ng-summer/

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:08 pm

I really hope OFIL (pronounced 'offal' of course) catches on, because it's priceless! :)
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:35 am

You need to get a w in there somewhere so its OWFIL (or maybe that can be the lady variety) :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Waccofozzy

Postby Waccofozzy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 pm

I refer to myself as a FOBIL - Fat Old B@stard In Lycra
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:51 am

A small update; and thank you, trailgumby, for your advice. Various times - 45 minutes to 3 hours - and distances - 15-40+ k - and elevations - not quite to 300m - have come and gone the past fortnight, and I notice progression. Not getting faster, but getting stronger, all without trying to bust me boiler. It is good. Yesterday I even got up on the pedals, throwing the bike side to side and clawing up some incline like I haven't done since my early teens. I know that's nothing to many of you, but I can't take such pleasure for granted.
Fact is, though, I have a new secret weapon in my quest:
... There's one on the front, too: Superbe Pro BA-SB00-S, the ones with hidden springs. Now just imagine how far and how fast I'd go if the brakes weren't rubbing ...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:09 pm

nemo57 wrote:A small update; and thank you, trailgumby, for your advice. Various times - 45 minutes to 3 hours - and distances - 15-40+ k - and elevations - not quite to 300m - have come and gone the past fortnight, and I notice progression. Not getting faster, but getting stronger, all without trying to bust me boiler. It is good. Yesterday I even got up on the pedals, throwing the bike side to side and clawing up some incline like I haven't done since my early teens. I know that's nothing to many of you, but I can't take such pleasure for granted.
Fact is, though, I have a new secret weapon in my quest:
... There's one on the front, too: Superbe Pro BA-SB00-S, the ones with hidden springs. Now just imagine how far and how fast I'd go if the brakes weren't rubbing ...
Mmmm, sexy brake caliper. Much sought after, and one of my favourite calipers ever. Just PM me if you ever feel the need to part company with these.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes, progress has been made, friends. Weekly distances have gone from 70 all the way to a stratospheric 135K (no that's not thousands), hours in the saddle from 3 hours 40 to 7 hours 50 minutes, and elevations from 500 to 1330 metres. I yam turning into a speedy mountain goat, that's for sure.
I put it down to my new brightly coloured top, which I would show you, but it is frankly a bit too dazzling for general viewing. That and a 28-tooth rear cog. Mmm - comfy.
I do find, however, that getting sh8tfaced limits performance for several days afterwards. Strange but true.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Another month, and 520 km/4000+m of climbing done. Nothing to the young and healthy amongst yez, but I'm pleased with meself. Will be off the bike for a few weeks from Friday coming, so I feel a century beckoning meantime or something similarly overdoing it (i.e. if I can stay sheltered outbound and get a tailwind on the run home).

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:50 pm

nemo57 wrote:Another month, and 520 km/4000+m of climbing done. Nothing to the young and healthy amongst yez, but I'm pleased with meself. Will be off the bike for a few weeks from Friday coming, so I feel a century beckoning meantime or something similarly overdoing it (i.e. if I can stay sheltered outbound and get a tailwind on the run home).
You could alleviate the boredom by giving us some pics of what looks like a very nice bike.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:09 am

1976 Hillman, frame built by George McDonald and made young & beautiful again by Gordon Hill, Kevin Wigham & Ken Dickie. Before I sustained any paint chips ... there have been gradual changes from Cyclone or Superbe to Superbe Pro over the past year, and a Specialized saddle, but you get the idea. Still got the 171mm Sugino crankset.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Just beautiful. Nice to see some SunTour bits out in the world.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:14 pm

nemo57 wrote:...and made young & beautiful again by Gordon Hill, Kevin Wigham...
How long ago?
Is Kevin Wigham still on the scene? Is he still alive?
He made two frames for me. One in 1986 and then another in 1990.
Lovely bikes. 531 followed by a very special (at the time, quite new, I think) 753 tubing.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Tim, the frame was done early last year. To my understanding Kevin has had bouts of severe ill health in recent years and is not making frames any longer, but still doing a bit of painting for mates like Gordon. And still built like a whippet.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks nemo.
I'd heard, quite some years back that he'd been very unwell. That he's no longer making frames and building bikes is a sad loss.
In the day, 80's/early 90's his custom built Paconi bikes were the preferred choice for most of the Carnegie/Caulfield Club.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:56 pm

... and not without reason. Fine tools, built to a purpose. Like Gordon Hill's. More "does it work?" than "is it pretty?" (Though of course mine is both)
And it carried me to my first century today. Slow, but 117km/650m ascent. I'm chuffed.
And stuffed.