Amy gran fondo training

you cannot be sirrus

Re: Amy gran fondo training

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 am

7 weeks to go and the training keeps on ramping up. Had an easy week last week ahead of some Saturday testing and a race on Sunday with a ride there and back.
FTP has nudged up a bit to 244W.
The Sunday ride ended up at 120kms with a very lumpy race sandwiched in the middle. Felt pretty good after apart from a bit of sciatica so it's back to stretching and recovery today.
I'm becoming less convinced I'll hit my UCI qualifying target as the event gets closer but Im2always full of self doubt.
Worse case scenario is I have a slow ride along the Great Ocean Rd followed by a few beers. That doesn't sound too bad.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:47 pm

A couple of visits to the chiro have the back pain under control hopefully.
Had a big training load this week, done 600 TSS with another 100 to do tmw but feel like I'm riding crap. Fatigue is pretty high.
Today's ride was 120kms with 1700m and 40kph+ winds. I was the weakest in the group so hanging on was the order of the day and it was tough, very tough..The next two weeks look like more of the same, it will either make me or break me.
Son number 1 threw a spanner in the works this week, he's bought a unit and will be moving out, likely moving date is the weekend of the Gran Fondo, so I may not even get there yet.
Six weeks to go, so plenty of time for things to change, the training will not go to waste, I'll just find another event to target.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:31 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:A couple of visits to the chiro have the back pain under control hopefully.
Had a big training load this week, done 600 TSS with another 100 to do tmw but feel like I'm riding crap. Fatigue is pretty high.
Today's ride was 120kms with 1700m and 40kph+ winds. I was the weakest in the group so hanging on was the order of the day and it was tough, very tough..The next two weeks look like more of the same, it will either make me or break me.
Son number 1 threw a spanner in the works this week, he's bought a unit and will be moving out, likely moving date is the weekend of the Gran Fondo, so I may not even get there yet.
Six weeks to go, so plenty of time for things to change, the training will not go to waste, I'll just find another event to target.
120km and 1700m+ and 40kph winds, that's going to be hard work especially if you are being blown about.

If you are feeling fatigued, then it's a sign to ease off. Do your 100km ride in the small chainring and spin easily.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm

g-boaf wrote:
120km and 1700m+ and 40kph winds, that's going to be hard work especially if you are being blown about.

If you are feeling fatigued, then it's a sign to ease off. Do your 100km ride in the small chainring and spin easily.
100TSS not 100kms thankfully :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:20 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

100TSS not 100kms thankfully :D
I did do 100km today myself actually, and mother nature in her usual way decided to stir up gusty conditions. It calmed down a bit later on.

100km/1000m+ as I did today is nothing major, I've got like 800km over a week coming in a few weeks time in the mountains over in France. Can't wait - nice holiday. :) I'm a bit fatigued also at the moment, but I'm feeling like I'm riding up hills very quickly at the moment, so that's working out well.

However looking at the segments on Strava, one of the mountains - the top 200 in the timing is just littered with international pro riders, famous ones, Nibali, Bardet, Oliver Naesen, Tiesj Benoot, etc. :shock: Of course the TDF has been through these locations many times. Take this one for instance: https://www.strava.com/segments/5211636

I'll be riding that one. :shock: That day is 107km and 3750m+, the day before it is 157km and 3650m+. But it is seeing all those big names there on the leaderboards, that's the intimidating bit.

But anyway- if you feel tired, that is the sign to ease off a bit. The TSB usually lines up pretty well with how you actually feel when riding. That easing off for a few days, you'll be surprised at just how much stronger you feel on the bike.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Awesome climb g-boaf. One of my mates did it last year, it's on my bucket list. She's training for Stelvio in 4 weeks time atm, lucky lady. Would love to do some of the big European climbs.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21 am

Training Peaks has stopped counting down in weeks, it is now x days to the race :shock:

The sciatica has gone thankfully, training has got back on track and I think my head is back in the game. Helped by 3rd and a KOM in a club race on Sunday, needed the mental boost I think.
Easy week this week, 2 more hard weeks then a taper ready for the event. It seems too close now and I'm not convinced s to 25% is on the cards but I'll give it my best and see how I go.
Hopefully lessons learned from last time will help with my strategy.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:20 am

you cannot be sirrus wrote:Training Peaks has stopped counting down in weeks, it is now x days to the race :shock:

The sciatica has gone thankfully, training has got back on track and I think my head is back in the game. Helped by 3rd and a KOM in a club race on Sunday, needed the mental boost I think.
Easy week this week, 2 more hard weeks then a taper ready for the event. It seems too close now and I'm not convinced s to 25% is on the cards but I'll give it my best and see how I go.
Hopefully lessons learned from last time will help with my strategy.

Good, good! With a few weeks to go I'd just avoiding anything that might derail your progress. Keep up the nice work.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Quick update, I didn't make a qualifying time. I did the ride in a smidge under 4hrs ar 30kph. Had a good time on the first climb but got forced into the gravel on a 60kph descent which blew my confidence a bit and dropped me off a fast group,
Post race I got crook with the flu and spent 10 days in bed (I never get sick) not sure if this affected my race, I suspect not,just not good enough.
It's taken me 2 months to get to the point of even considering racing again as I've missed so much training time. Going to give a club race a crack in a fortnight, will get dropped on the first climb, but meh, it's training, will probably just be getting fit when I head of to the UK for Xmas and another 4 weeks off the bike. :)