Roller problem at higher cadences

FiveDaysAWeek

Roller problem at higher cadences

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi all,

I've been using a no-name set of aluminium rollers for several years without issue, mainly for smoothing out my pedal stroke and staying quiet on aerobars for time trialing.

Recently I decided to start training for track, and thought the rollers would be a good way to practice smooth high cadence pedalling, a bit like these riders at a Keirin school: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0.

Unfortunately something happens to my rollers above 140rpm / 45kph, causing the rubber band to leap out of the groove in the rear roller, jam between the roller and frame, and bring everything to a rapid halt.

If anyone has encountered this kind of problem on rollers and come up with a solution I'd be very glad to hear about it.

Cheers,
W.

foo on patrol

Re: Roller problem at higher cadences

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:35 am

How old are they, the rubber becomes hard with age and especially if not used all the time?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

FiveDaysAWeek

Re: Roller problem at higher cadences

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Probably a good place to start, I guess the drive band is like its owner - a bit old and stiff :D . I think I have an unused urethane spare somewhere in the back of the garage, might dig it out this afternoon.

Cheers,
W.