25yo Female 1st FTP test - never ever trained for cycling (runner) - is this good or not?

Runner007

25yo Female 1st FTP test - never ever trained for cycling (runner) - is this good or not?

Postby Runner007 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm a 25yo female and I did my first FTP test (20 min test) ever the other day. I'm a fairly high level mid-distance runner, who has been injured and I decided to train on Zwift using a Watt Bike until I'm able to run again.

I decided to do an FTP test so that I can properly use the training sessions on Zwift. I have never trained for cycling in my life. The last time I rode was in a spin class 3 years ago (when I was last injured!).

I averaged 239 watts for 20 minutes and taking 95% of this, my FTP is 227. I weigh 57kg, giving me 3.98watts/kg.
I did this test on a Watt Bike in runners. I have never done an FTP test before.

Is this any good for my first go? How much could I expect to improve if I trained seriously for 6 weeks and repeated the FTP?

I'd like to compete in cycling because I love the training and I think I'd like racing if I enjoy the training. However, my parents won't let me ride on the roads outside at this stage as they think it is too dangerous and it only takes one rogue car to cause an accident.

queequeg

Re: 25yo Female 1st FTP test - never ever trained for cycling (runner) - is this good or not?

Postby queequeg » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:26 pm

Runner007 wrote:I'm a 25yo female and I did my first FTP test (20 min test) ever the other day. I'm a fairly high level mid-distance runner, who has been injured and I decided to train on Zwift using a Watt Bike until I'm able to run again.

I decided to do an FTP test so that I can properly use the training sessions on Zwift. I have never trained for cycling in my life. The last time I rode was in a spin class 3 years ago (when I was last injured!).

I averaged 239 watts for 20 minutes and taking 95% of this, my FTP is 227. I weigh 57kg, giving me 3.98watts/kg.
I did this test on a Watt Bike in runners. I have never done an FTP test before.

Is this any good for my first go? How much could I expect to improve if I trained seriously for 6 weeks and repeated the FTP?

I'd like to compete in cycling because I love the training and I think I'd like racing if I enjoy the training. However, my parents won't let me ride on the roads outside at this stage as they think it is too dangerous and it only takes one rogue car to cause an accident.
At almost 4w/kg, you are pretty much smoking it. On Zwift, that puts you just under A Grade level. Out in the real world, with those kinds of numbers you would be racing with the Elite women.

If you followed a training program on Zwift, I'd expect that number to only get better. By how much is anyones guess. You may wish to join the upcoming Zwift Academy. Your age will disqualify you from the comp, but you can still do the 8 week program

https://zwift.com/academy/zaw2018

At 25 years old, I wouldn't think your parents can really stop you from doing anything that you want to do. Cycling is far less dangerous than it's mad out to be, and there are places you can ride where there are very few motorists to worry about. Where are you based?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: 25yo Female 1st FTP test - never ever trained for cycling (runner) - is this good or not?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 am

I say this as a long time coach and adviser of many women who've raced in the elite and professional ranks in various countries:

The numbers are very good but if you want to race bikes then working on your fitness is at the moment probably the lowest priority in your development path. Initially your fitness improvement will happen anyway as you ride more.

Unless you begin to ride with others you won't develop the skills and experience necessary to
i. train safely, and
ii. develop the craft needed to race.

In cycling especially, craft and team work plays a huge role in success, much more so than running.

As these basic skillsets develop, then a little more attention can be paid to development of your physiological fitness for racing.

That said there some are event types more oriented to the solo athlete than group riding, e.g. time trials and some track cycling events (i.e. pursuit, time trial) but competitions are infrequent and much of the training is lonely (which suits some more than others). Also MTB events (but the skill set is obviously different again and is demanding). It maybe that selecting the type of event is something for you to consider. Even so, being able to ride and train with others will make a big difference and it's a good idea to try different things to find what you enjoy and have a natural affinity with.

Where are you based?

It will help to join a good club with the right mix of personnel to assist you start. In Australia club membership is compulsory anyway to attain a licence to race. Clubs come in all shapes and sizes, not all are suitable for athletic development, and some have a poor record with women. A good club that can help get you get out on the road safely will be an important step and hopefully will ease family concerns.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:10 am

Great post Alex - as per usual.

Runner007 - if you live anywhere near West Gippy, we're always on the lookout for new members at the cycling club! Great numbers. As Alex stated, learn the craft and you will do exceptionally well.

Cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:56 pm

I dont want to be a negative nelly but zwift and virtual racing is not racing ..and if youve never ridden a real bike with 2 wheels on a road, youre not a cyclist. Youre just a person doing fitness. If you were a decent runner then its no surprise to see you are fit on the exercise bike. The numbers mean nothing. Comparing racing cyclist numbers with each other is a foolish endeavour, trying to compare zwift numbers to real racing cyclist numbers is just ridiculous. I wont bore everyone with examples of people with low numbers who became champions, or the dozens of people i know with superior numbers who have never won a race. Cycle racing is about skills and brains, not power numbers. Throwing numbers around is just a wank. Sorry. Meaningless.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:37 pm

Mind you, the women's winner of the CVR League earlier this year run on Zwift picked up a $10k cash prize. More than any women's race on the pro calendar.

gtext

Postby gtext » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:33 pm

"However, my parents won't let me ride on the roads outside at this stage"
Must say I find this statement a bit concerning for a 25yo.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Runner007 wrote:I'm a 25yo female and I did my first FTP test (20 min test) ever the other day. I'm a fairly high level mid-distance runner, who has been injured and I decided to train on Zwift using a Watt Bike until I'm able to run again.

At 25, you might as well go and do what you want to do. If riding is what you love doing - don't let anyone stop you. If you have some finances or work to support you, all the more reason to go ahead.

You can be injured running, that's a risk as well, but you still run. Everyone else has given pretty solid advice on the next steps. You should get in touch with a good club - one that has a decent women's team. They'll hopefully help you on your way. I only have mostly overseas contacts though - so I can't really help you too much there.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I think that some of you are being a bit harsh.

Sure, putting out good FTP numbers on Zwift is not "real" cycling, but a lot of us took up serious cycling as adults without much in the way of skills or knowledge (like Runner007) and also without the background fitness levels that she has.

That's only really a problem if you start to think that Zwift is the same as real cycling, and think that you know what you're doing. If Runner007 approaches it as a very fit cycling newbie, then she will be fine.

Runner, I agree with the others that if you want to cycle as a sport then you need to get outside and ride. Learn to ride with a group on the road. Join a club. Find one that has a good women's representation - for example my club has women's-only races while others mix women and men together. Some women prefer the women's-only races. My club also runs skills sessions, and I know that others do as well. Those sessions teach you how to ride in a bunch, which is useful for racing and group rides.

Training on Zwift using a proper training program is a good way of developing your fitness. As a well-trained runner, you would be used to the concept of a structured interval training program to develop fitness.

But - and this is most important - riding outside is FUN!!!

Runner007

Postby Runner007 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:10 pm

gtext wrote:"However, my parents won't let me ride on the roads outside at this stage"
I'm sorry that I have a good relationship with my parents and value their opinion. They've been on this earth a lot longer than me.
If I were to start cycling outside on the roads, I wouldn't feel happy without them feeling comfortable with my safety. I don't want them worrying about me - that would be selfish on my behalf. I want them to understand that cycling can be safe, providing you learn how to make it safe.

I find it concerning that at the age of 25, I'm clearly a lot more mature than you in that I consider the feelings of others when I make my decisions.
Last edited by Runner007 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Runner007

Postby Runner007 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:23 pm

macca33 wrote:Great post Alex - as per usual.

Runner007 - if you live anywhere near West Gippy, we're always on the lookout for new members at the cycling club! Great numbers. As Alex stated, learn the craft and you will do exceptionally well.

Cheers
Thanks for the reply macca. I appreciate the encouragement!! I don't like in Gippsland, but if I did, I'd surely consider a club with helpful people such as yourself!
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:I say this as a long time coach and adviser of many women who've raced in the elite and professional ranks in various countries:

The numbers are very good but if you want to race bikes then working on your fitness is at the moment probably the lowest priority in your development path. Initially your fitness improvement will happen anyway as you ride more.

Unless you begin to ride with others you won't develop the skills and experience necessary to
i. train safely, and
ii. develop the craft needed to race.

In cycling especially, craft and team work plays a huge role in success, much more so than running.

As these basic skillsets develop, then a little more attention can be paid to development of your physiological fitness for racing.

That said there some are event types more oriented to the solo athlete than group riding, e.g. time trials and some track cycling events (i.e. pursuit, time trial) but competitions are infrequent and much of the training is lonely (which suits some more than others). Also MTB events (but the skill set is obviously different again and is demanding). It maybe that selecting the type of event is something for you to consider. Even so, being able to ride and train with others will make a big difference and it's a good idea to try different things to find what you enjoy and have a natural affinity with.

Where are you based?

It will help to join a good club with the right mix of personnel to assist you start. In Australia club membership is compulsory anyway to attain a licence to race. Clubs come in all shapes and sizes, not all are suitable for athletic development, and some have a poor record with women. A good club that can help get you get out on the road safely will be an important step and hopefully will ease family concerns.
Thanks Alex! Lots of very useful information there and you have made me think about all the different disciplines on offer. I agree with needing to learn to ride with others, no matter what discipline I may choose down the track.

I'm based on the inner east in Melbourne, so will have to do a bit of research about club options.
g-boaf wrote:

At 25, you might as well go and do what you want to do. If riding is what you love doing - don't let anyone stop you. If you have some finances or work to support you, all the more reason to go ahead.

You can be injured running, that's a risk as well, but you still run. Everyone else has given pretty solid advice on the next steps. You should get in touch with a good club - one that has a decent women's team. They'll hopefully help you on your way. I only have mostly overseas contacts though - so I can't really help you too much there.
Thanks g-boaf! I agree, I think I'll have to find a club and go from there. I think some skills sessions, group riding lessons and some beginners group rides would be a good start.
RobertL wrote:I think that some of you are being a bit harsh.

Sure, putting out good FTP numbers on Zwift is not "real" cycling, but a lot of us took up serious cycling as adults without much in the way of skills or knowledge (like Runner007) and also without the background fitness levels that she has.

That's only really a problem if you start to think that Zwift is the same as real cycling, and think that you know what you're doing. If Runner007 approaches it as a very fit cycling newbie, then she will be fine.

Runner, I agree with the others that if you want to cycle as a sport then you need to get outside and ride. Learn to ride with a group on the road. Join a club. Find one that has a good women's representation - for example my club has women's-only races while others mix women and men together. Some women prefer the women's-only races. My club also runs skills sessions, and I know that others do as well. Those sessions teach you how to ride in a bunch, which is useful for racing and group rides.

Training on Zwift using a proper training program is a good way of developing your fitness. As a well-trained runner, you would be used to the concept of a structured interval training program to develop fitness.

But - and this is most important - riding outside is FUN!!!
Thanks Robert! I don't think I should have included the Zwift part - I think that upset a few people. It was either that or training in a quiet room with music. I'd ridden on Zwift for one week of my entire life and people think I'm suddenly going to become this virtual rider who never rides a bike outside. As a runner who has run outside for 14 years, I guarantee there is not chance that I'll become a Zwift only rider :lol:

Yes, I think I will try to find a club that has a good women's program. I am a very motivated person and after training seriously for the last 8 years, I'd love to jump straight into hard training. However, I realise cycling is a lot more technical than running and I have to learn how to properly ride outside first and in a group, if I am ever a chance to race.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:28 pm

Runner007 wrote: I'm sorry that I have a good relationship with my parents and value their opinion. They've been on this earth a lot longer than me.
If I were to start cycling outside on the roads, I wouldn't feel happy without them feeling comfortable with my safety. I don't want them worrying about me - that would be selfish on my behalf. I want them to understand that cycling can be safe, providing you learn how to make it safe.
Cycling on roads can be dangerous. We try to minimise the risks in how and where we ride, but its still a risk. However if that is what you love, and what you are good at, then we have to accept that risk, for ourself and for those we love.
For myself, I dont ride any more, but my son who is 22 loves cycling, he is very good at it, and he trains on the roads. The anxiety I feel every time he goes out is hard to describe. I check my phone every 5 minutes he is away until he returns. My wife walked out on him and I about 10 years ago, and to say we are close would be an understatement. He is everything to me and I sometimes wish he played basketball or something. But he is a cyclist, and I embrace the anxiety and worry. I hope your parents can get to that point with you too, if you decide to go down that track.
My comment earlier - I stand by what I said but it written in a harsh tone which I apologise for. No offence intended.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Some resources you might find interesting
https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2 ... or-females
https://www.coachvance.com/blog/2016/2/ ... iathletes/
http://i.imgur.com/9eBKukN.jpg

If you have a long and recent history of mid distance running, then it is unlikely your VO2max or Lactate threshold could be improved significantly via bike training. Though you should definitely see watt gains via better pedaling technique, cleated shoes, optimal bike setup, and adaptive lower limb strength/endurance changes specific for cycling.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Runner007 wrote: I'm based on the inner east in Melbourne, so will have to do a bit of research about club options.
Saint Kilda Cycling Club http://www.skcc.com.au/ their women's racing (even if their site has not been updated) is the envy of almost every club in Australia, even ones 2500km away.

Runner007

Postby Runner007 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Runner007 wrote: I'm sorry that I have a good relationship with my parents and value their opinion. They've been on this earth a lot longer than me.
Cycling on roads can be dangerous. We try to minimise the risks in how and where we ride, but its still a risk. However if that is what you love, and what you are good at, then we have to accept that risk, for ourself and for those we love.
For myself, I dont ride any more, but my son who is 22 loves cycling, he is very good at it, and he trains on the roads. The anxiety I feel every time he goes out is hard to describe. I check my phone every 5 minutes he is away until he returns. My wife walked out on him and I about 10 years ago, and to say we are close would be an understatement. He is everything to me and I sometimes wish he played basketball or something. But he is a cyclist, and I embrace the anxiety and worry. I hope your parents can get to that point with you too, if you decide to go down that track.
My comment earlier - I stand by what I said but it written in a harsh tone which I apologise for. No offence intended.
No worries Derny :) I didn't take offence. I knew what you were trying to say - Zwift isn't the same as cycling in real life and that you don't know whether you will really like it until you try real riding. I agree totally and my next step will be to try riding outdoors.

Runner007

Postby Runner007 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:22 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Some resources you might find interesting
https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2 ... or-females
https://www.coachvance.com/blog/2016/2/ ... iathletes/
http://i.imgur.com/9eBKukN.jpg

If you have a long and recent history of mid distance running, then it is unlikely your VO2max or Lactate threshold could be improved significantly via bike training. Though you should definitely see watt gains via better pedaling technique, cleated shoes, optimal bike setup, and adaptive lower limb strength/endurance changes specific for cycling.
Thanks, this is really interesting! I'm a bit of a science geek so I found these articles very interesting.

Runner007

Postby Runner007 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 pm

nickobec wrote:
Runner007 wrote: I'm based on the inner east in Melbourne, so will have to do a bit of research about club options.
Saint Kilda Cycling Club http://www.skcc.com.au/ their women's racing (even if their site has not been updated) is the envy of almost every club in Australia, even ones 2500km away.
Wow, their website does look impressive. I like the look of some of the training rides too. I will keep it in mind.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 am

Runner007 wrote:I find it concerning that at the age of 25, I'm clearly a lot more mature than you in that I consider the feelings of others when I make my decisions.
At the risk of getting side-tracked into a slinging match that has little to do with cycling - but you did throw down the gauntlet with that statement and I actually do take some offence - I'd beg to differ. In fact, I'd suggest you display the exact opposite.

Your statement clearly implies that you are 'more mature' than any professional athlete that chooses what could be considered a 'risky' sport, as they clearly don't "consider the feelings of others". I doubt there's a single parent out there that wouldn't prefer their children had chosen to pursue the safest activities. Just like I doubt there's a single athlete out there that doesn't acknowledge and consider their own parents' concerns. The difference is that those athletes have the maturity to recognise that it's just normal parental concern. What's more I'd say it's a little selfish on the parents' part to actively discourage their children from pursuing their passion, and it takes a mature person to recognise that.

I felt I had to weigh in on this because your statement really riled me. I'm no professional cyclist but have chosen more risky activities in the course of my life, certainly that my parents weren't thrilled about, but they never made me feel like I shouldn't be doing them. Even now my mother - and wife for that matter - don't like the fact that I'm cycling on the road. I do consider their feelings. I also continue to cycle. It is actually possible to do both. I endeavour to choose the safest routes, and also often train indoors, as part of that consideration. I'm also a lot less likely to die of certain health-related issues because of my cycling. That is also being considerate of my wife and my kids.

Maybe one day when you're as old as me, you'll think back to the statement you made when you were 'just' 25 and realise that perhaps you weren't as mature as you'd like to think. And certainly not with a knee-jerk, blanket statement like that.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:06 am

Runner007 wrote:
gtext wrote:"However, my parents won't let me ride on the roads outside at this stage"
I'm sorry that I have a good relationship with my parents and value their opinion. They've been on this earth a lot longer than me.

I find it concerning that at the age of 25, I'm clearly a lot more mature than you in that I consider the feelings of others when I make my decisions.
You can never really make it totally safe, not here, not on these roads, but you can do what is possible to minimise the risks. Not riding in the gutter, being cautious and treating your commute rides as commutes, not training.

Riding with groups helps too. I think Garmin devices like the 520 even let people you know track your ride.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:03 am

Runner007 wrote:Thanks Alex! Lots of very useful information there and you have made me think about all the different disciplines on offer. I agree with needing to learn to ride with others, no matter what discipline I may choose down the track.

I'm based on the inner east in Melbourne, so will have to do a bit of research about club options.
I'm friends with a recently retired cycling pro and world record holder who's based in Melbourne. She made the switch to cycling from another elite athletic discipline fairly late.

PM me and I might be able to hook you up for a chat with her to gain a unique perspective on the challenges involved (many are not skill or athletic based). No guarantees of course but we can ask.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Runner007 wrote:............I'd like to compete in cycling because I love the training and I think I'd like racing if I enjoy the training. However, my parents won't let me ride on the roads outside at this stage as they think it is too dangerous and it only takes one rogue car to cause an accident.

Hi Runner007, welcome to the forum.

I can empathize with your parent's concerns as I was recently bounced off my training bike by an oblivious Camry driver resulting in fractured ribs, severe bruising to legs/lower torso/right arm and a totaled Shogun Samurai. My daughter is your age, and I am also wary of her riding on the road due to her current level of inexperience, so ask that she confine herself to the bike paths. Luckily she now lives in a part of Melbourne (inner north) which is extremely well catered for. Much like yourself, she appreciates my concerns and respects my wishes.

Re your context though, what if you were to join a club for the coaching/training and subsequently compete in track-only events? Removes the on-road issues completely.

Clubs run regular (some weekly) events at places like the Darebin International Sports Centre and the Burwood Velodrome amongst others (most clubs have club bikes available for loan/rent at race meetings so you could try before you buy). Clubs also provide access to coaching and training sessions, and track racing allows you in your specific context to both train/compete whilst respecting your parent's concerns.

In the east, Blackburn Cycling Club seems to be very active and well structured. Over the years I've known a couple of members and the feedback has always been very good. As someone who used daily cycling (except on match days) as training augmentation for my main sport, I can fully empathize with your new-found appreciation of cycling.

Blackburn Cycling Club (founded by the late George Robinson of Robs Cycles in Blackburn) is actually homed at East Burwood near the corner of Mahoneys rd/Burwood Hwy.

Link : http://www.bbn.org.au/about-us.html

By no means is this the only club in the area, there are also the :

Hawthorn Cycling Club (http://hawthorncycling.org/)
Carnegie-Caulfield Cycling Club (https://www.carnegiecycling.com.au/contact/) , and I think someone previously gave details for the St Kilda club.

Anyway, just a thought. Hope it works out well for you.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Runner007

Postby Runner007 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:10 pm

tcdev wrote:
Runner007 wrote:I find it concerning that at the age of 25, I'm clearly a lot more mature than you in that I consider the feelings of others when I make my decisions.
At the risk of getting side-tracked into a slinging match that has little to do with cycling - but you did throw down the gauntlet with that statement and I actually do take some offence - I'd beg to differ. In fact, I'd suggest you display the exact opposite.

Your statement clearly implies that you are 'more mature' than any professional athlete that chooses what could be considered a 'risky' sport, as they clearly don't "consider the feelings of others". I doubt there's a single parent out there that wouldn't prefer their children had chosen to pursue the safest activities. Just like I doubt there's a single athlete out there that doesn't acknowledge and consider their own parents' concerns. The difference is that those athletes have the maturity to recognise that it's just normal parental concern. What's more I'd say it's a little selfish on the parents' part to actively discourage their children from pursuing their passion, and it takes a mature person to recognise that.

I felt I had to weigh in on this because your statement really riled me. I'm no professional cyclist but have chosen more risky activities in the course of my life, certainly that my parents weren't thrilled about, but they never made me feel like I shouldn't be doing them. Even now my mother - and wife for that matter - don't like the fact that I'm cycling on the road. I do consider their feelings. I also continue to cycle. It is actually possible to do both. I endeavour to choose the safest routes, and also often train indoors, as part of that consideration. I'm also a lot less likely to die of certain health-related issues because of my cycling. That is also being considerate of my wife and my kids.

Maybe one day when you're as old as me, you'll think back to the statement you made when you were 'just' 25 and realise that perhaps you weren't as mature as you'd like to think. And certainly not with a knee-jerk, blanket statement like that.
I am slightly confused. My comment was not directed towards you or anyone else other than the rude jerk who made a comment that appeared almost troll-like in nature. I never commented on anyone else or the general community as a whole. That is why I used the words ME, MY and I'M! It is my opinion on an issue affecting ME.

The only implication from my post was that the ABOVE poster (not you, not anyone else) clearly doesn't have the level of empathy (and by extension, maturity) required to appreciate my respect for my parent's worries. If they were mature, they would respect other people's opinions, would they not?

My view is that it would be SELFISH OF ME to make my parent's worry, without properly educating them on cycling safety. That is my view on MY situation, no one else's situation.

Please tell me where I said anything along the lines of "I find it selfish when other people make their parents/wife worry by cycling". I never said that or anything even closely related to that.

I'd appreciate it if you don't try to twist my posts into creating offence where none was even minutely intended.

Runner007

Postby Runner007 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Runner007 wrote:............I'd like to compete in cycling because I love the training and I think I'd like racing if I enjoy the training. However, my parents won't let me ride on the roads outside at this stage as they think it is too dangerous and it only takes one rogue car to cause an accident.

Hi Runner007, welcome to the forum.

I can empathize with your parent's concerns as I was recently bounced off my training bike by an oblivious Camry driver resulting in fractured ribs, severe bruising to legs/lower torso/right arm and a totaled Shogun Samurai. My daughter is your age, and I am also wary of her riding on the road due to her current level of inexperience, so ask that she confine herself to the bike paths. Luckily she now lives in a part of Melbourne (inner north) which is extremely well catered for. Much like yourself, she appreciates my concerns and respects my wishes.

Re your context though, what if you were to join a club for the coaching/training and subsequently compete in track-only events? Removes the on-road issues completely.

Clubs run regular (some weekly) events at places like the Darebin International Sports Centre and the Burwood Velodrome amongst others (most clubs have club bikes available for loan/rent at race meetings so you could try before you buy). Clubs also provide access to coaching and training sessions, and track racing allows you in your specific context to both train/compete whilst respecting your parent's concerns.

In the east, Blackburn Cycling Club seems to be very active and well structured. Over the years I've known a couple of members and the feedback has always been very good. As someone who used daily cycling (except on match days) as training augmentation for my main sport, I can fully empathize with your new-found appreciation of cycling.

Blackburn Cycling Club (founded by the late George Robinson of Robs Cycles in Blackburn) is actually homed at East Burwood near the corner of Mahoneys rd/Burwood Hwy.

Link : http://www.bbn.org.au/about-us.html

By no means is this the only club in the area, there are also the :

Hawthorn Cycling Club (http://hawthorncycling.org/)
Carnegie-Caulfield Cycling Club (https://www.carnegiecycling.com.au/contact/) , and I think someone previously gave details for the St Kilda club.

Anyway, just a thought. Hope it works out well for you.
Thanks speedsemiracer, I appreciate the empathy and I'll have a look into the track cycling :)
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Runner007 wrote:Thanks Alex! Lots of very useful information there and you have made me think about all the different disciplines on offer. I agree with needing to learn to ride with others, no matter what discipline I may choose down the track.

I'm friends with a recently retired cycling pro and world record holder who's based in Melbourne. She made the switch to cycling from another elite athletic discipline fairly late.

PM me and I might be able to hook you up for a chat with her to gain a unique perspective on the challenges involved (many are not skill or athletic based). No guarantees of course but we can ask.
Thanks Alex - If I do commit to the cycling path and decide I'd like some advice I will definitely PM you. I appreciate the offer a lot :D

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:50 pm

If you have a bike to ride outside you can ease your parents into the idea of it by starting with laps of the teardrop at Kew Boulevard. Pretty sure its closed to traffic most of the time, and if the tacker has found a new hobby your folks could be ok with you riding the boulie itself after a while or after you've found a training partner to keep you company. Take them for a drive perhaps to see.

gtext

Postby gtext » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 am

Runner007 wrote:
tcdev wrote:

I am slightly confused. My comment was not directed towards you or anyone else other than the rude jerk who made a comment that appeared almost troll-like in nature. I never commented on anyone else or the general community as a whole. That is why I used the words ME, MY and I'M! It is my opinion on an issue affecting ME.

The only implication from my post was that the ABOVE poster (not you, not anyone else) clearly doesn't have the level of empathy (and by extension, maturity) required to appreciate my respect for my parent's worries. If they were mature, they would respect other people's opinions, would they not?

My view is that it would be SELFISH OF ME to make my parent's worry, without properly educating them on cycling safety. That is my view on MY situation, no one else's situation.

Please tell me where I said anything along the lines of "I find it selfish when other people make their parents/wife worry by cycling". I never said that or anything even closely related to that.

I'd appreciate it if you don't try to twist my posts into creating offence where none was even minutely intended.
Rude jerk here. Looks like you've offended someone else.

My response above was related to your original statement that your parents wouldn't let you. Another word for that could be forbid. Now you've changed your story to concern and worry by them which is understandable given the road conditions. If your as mature as you say you are take a look at your original statement and consider how that would be interpreted. My response wasn't offensive unlike yours.