Bryton 310 Review

No guru

Bryton 310 Review

Postby No guru » Mon May 09, 2016 3:34 pm

I have been given the opportunity to provide a review of the Bryton 310. Some detail of my background is appropriate, I am a late convert to cycling and my occupation results in me being a numbers man. I like to have an understanding of what I am achieving. I also follow a training plan and ride about 250 to 300 kms per week. I have been using a Garmin 500 and then upgraded to a Garmin 510. I ride a Trek Domane with Durace Groupset and Garmin Vector Power meter Pedals.

The Bryton 310 is smaller than the Garmin 510 is easy to affix to the bike with the kit including enough elastic bands to ensure you can attach the base to your handlebars.

The setup was easy, the instructions that come with the Bryton are basic more detailed instructions are available on the web, but I found even the more detailed instructions wanting. The Bryton website has a FAQ page which I did not find at all useful. Despite this I was able to easily pair the Bryton to my Heart Rate Monitor, my power meter and my speed and cadence sensor. Although the Bryton was paired to my Cadence sensor it never actually recorded my cadence. This may be due to the Garmin Power Meter, as this also provides the sensor/data for the cadence rather than a separate magnet on the pedal arm or the lack of cadence data may be because I have a Duo Trap which works well with the Garmin 510. As speed can also be calculated by GPS rather than the speed sensor on the wheel I am not sure whether the Bryton was using GPS or the wheel to record speed.

The Bryton 310 has only three buttons, so the danger of pushing a wrong button is minimal but the disadvantage is that there is also a limitation in the ability to personalise the screens. I am short sighted so screen and font size is important. When the Bryton has 5 or more data fields showing it is difficult to determine what the various numbers mean. In good light you can read the descriptors but on the bike I found this difficult, even more so in the dark.

I discovered, by accident, that if the Heart Rate Monitor or other sensor did not pair to the Bryton then less data fields were shown. If your HRM and speed/cadence sensor were not connected then the data being shown was Speed, Altitude gain, Time, Distance. By pushing the right hand button the second of four screens would show, Average Speed, Grade, Trip Time, Trip distance. The Third screen would show Maximum Speed, Maximum Altitude, Time of the day, Total distance (Odometer). The fourth screen would show Lap time Lap average Speed, Lap maximum Speed and Lap Distance. In all of the first three of these screens Speed was in a very large and clear font and could be easily seen. Lap time was in the large font size in the fourth screen.

When you paired the Heart rate monitor the Screens would add Heart Rate, average HR, and Max HR and the fourth screen lap details was not available. This seemed strange that lap details did not become available on the fourth screen.

As an experiment I then placed my bike near the Bryton and turned the cranks a number of times to activate the sensors and now 7 data fields were showing. Additions were Cadence and power to the first screen, Average cadence and 3 sec power to the second screen, Maximum Cadence and Maximum power to the third screen no fourth screen. In this configuration I found it difficult to read any of the data. I would assume if you did not have a power meter that the only addition would be the cadence and therefore the numbers would/could be larger and therefore clearer.

I took the opportunity to update the software and was disappointed in the time it took, this may say more about me being impatient but the update appeared stuck on 99% complete for an unreasonable period of time.

I also used the Bryton Sport website, t would appear to be very much in the development stage as navigation around the webiste was not as easy or intuitive as I am use to. I note that you can upload to Strava and Training Peaks as well. So you can use these other websites to really analyse your data if so desired.

To summarize I see the Bryton as a good bike computer for a commuter who might wish to see a few numbers such as speed and distance or a competitive/training athlete who does not need to see any particular number e.g. Power or heart rate while on a ride but needs to collect the data and analyse after the ride.