Turkish bread and ...

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Turkish bread and ...

Postby zill » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:20 am

At the moment trying to eat healthy and discovered Turkish bread. Loving it so much that I have it in all 3 meals plus stir fry brussel sprouts and mushrooms. Breakfast would have added salmon as filling. Lunch have meat as filling and dinner have eggs as filling.

Plus some sauces in them.

Any other ideas with regards to cooking and eating Turkish bread?

Strawburger

Re: Turkish bread and ...

Postby Strawburger » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:35 am

Turkish bread has a higher oil content than regular breads. Sourdough bread if done correctly contains just flour and water and is far better for you!

Turkish bread is good with hummus, especially when the bread is fresh out of the oven!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:02 pm

Iskender Kebab. Google it!

zill

Postby zill » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Strawburger wrote:Turkish bread has a higher oil content than regular breads. Sourdough bread if done correctly contains just flour and water and is far better for you!
So that's why it tastes so good!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:51 pm

Hehehe absolutely!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:11 pm

Turkish bread toasties are great - breakfast, sausage or bacon and egg, lunch, Cajun chicken and cheese, tuna melt, ham cheese and apple, Moroccan spiced lamb or chicken.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:28 pm

zill wrote:So that's why it tastes so good!
Along with the sesame, nigella and egg wash on top.

The oil in (or on) the bread is optional, adding it pushes you into pizza bianca territory, especially if you add a little rosemary and salt. :)

Oiling these very thing breads made from ultrasoft doughs certainly makes handling them easier!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Thoglette wrote:
zill wrote:So that's why it tastes so good!
Along with the sesame, nigella and egg wash on top.

The oil in (or on) the bread is optional, adding it pushes you into pizza bianca territory, especially if you add a little rosemary and salt. :)

Oiling these very thing breads made from ultrasoft doughs certainly makes handling them easier!
You would also need garlic :)

If trying to eat healthy Zill, you would be better with a wholemeal bread, agree sourdoughs are tasty!
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:13 pm

Turkish bread in every meal = 'healthy'. Hardly.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:33 pm

GAV!N wrote:Turkish bread in every meal = 'healthy'. Hardly.
Maybe not but the Turkish people might disagree.

When heated they remind me of eating donuts which is a positive since they are much healthier than donuts but as others have said there are much healthier foods out there.

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:50 am

I love that whatever you do zill you go hard. Not sure I'd want to eat anything 3 meals a day. I don't mind turkish bread toast with butter and a bit of vegemite...I'd never think of it as a healthfood though...and that's coming from someone who thinks most of the rabbit food talk on here is strange.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:52 pm

zill wrote:
GAV!N wrote:Turkish bread in every meal = 'healthy'. Hardly.
Maybe not but the Turkish people might disagree.
Doubt the Turkish bread is a staple in Turkey due to it being healthy or not, more likely due to economic reasons...

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:02 pm

herzog wrote:Iskender Kebab. Google it!
+1!

Actually, turkish bread isn't really very healthy in large quantities Not much bread or other forms of refined carbs are.

They are delicious tho.

Check this out.

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/natio ... -confusion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm having to unlearn the original food pyramid that was drummed into me at school. I always thought bread was super healthy. And orange juice was really good for you!

Over the past 2 years I've moved from an iskender kebab eating lifestlye to vegetarian. I've been enjoying the vegetarianism but didn't think it actually made a huge difference to my sense of well being or energy. However, the past 3 months I've recalibrated my diet further by cutting down on my portions and also instead of taking the easy way out (bread, pasta, pizza etc), I'm trying to eat more leafy greens, vegetables, beans, legumes, salads and cutting down on cheese and dairy, and eggs. I still eat rice, pasta and bread but I make them a smaller proportion of my overall meal. I'm also at the early stages of flirting with veganism.

Has it made a difference?

The closest analogy I can think of is remember what it felt like before you regularly went cycling? And compare this to after you became a regular cyclist? That's what it has felt like. More energy, less sluggishness.

Eating an interesting vegetarian diet IS more work, to keep it interesting. I can't just grill a kransky and wrap it in turkish bread for example. But I do like cooking and so I'm happy to spend time in the kitchen making new things.

Anyway, thought I'd share this as it relates a little to the idea of eating healthily. Each to their own, but everything in moderation, including turkish bread!

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:15 am

misterhorsey wrote:
herzog wrote:Iskender Kebab. Google it!
+1!

Actually, turkish bread isn't really very healthy in large quantities Not much bread or other forms of refined carbs are.

They are delicious tho.

Check this out.

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/natio ... -confusion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm having to unlearn the original food pyramid that was drummed into me at school. I always thought bread was super healthy. And orange juice was really good for you!

Your having to unlearn the food pyramid? where did you go to school and in what year. I'm ~40yo and we are still being told now to eat more or less the exact same foods I was told to eat back in primary school, Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts,seeds, eggs, lean meats and dairy.
As far back as 1982 the first words on the food pyramid were EAT MOST: Vegetables...... followed by fruit than grains etc, little has changed in the last 3 and a half decades.
Nothing wrong with bread or a glass of freshly squeezed OJ or a fruit smoothie every single day, don't confuse orange fruit drink with fresh OJ not the same thing not even close.
Orange fruit drink that many people I know do or once did keep this crap in their fridge, I know growing up there used to be cartons of this stuff in our fridge, most fruit drinks are 25% fruit juice or fruit concentrate topped up with water and sugar, which would more closely resemble cordial than fresh OJ.
I work at on of the big supermarket chain distribution centers and we ship far, far more of this crap and hardly any 100% orange juice with no added sugar or other substitutes, and I prefer just to eat or drink the real thing fresh from my grocer anyway as I'm sure this is what Australian Dietitians would recommend also

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:19 am

Ha, I'm 39 went to school in Western Sydney.

Have a look at the revised pyramid. It is has subtle differences.

I should have linked to an article that compared the old with new, like this.

http://www.aacs.org.au/australia-has-a- ... d-pyramid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I refer to unlearning its not a huge change but the impact is quite significant. Like I said, I used to think things like bread were 100% good for you in large quantities. Add rice and pasta to the mix. Now, as per the new pyramid, I'm relying more on vegetables to bulk up most meals. (Now that I think about it, my cantonese background probably had a part to play. The emphasis there is on eating a LOT of polished white rice with every meal. Not great.).

OJ, well, it never occurred to me how much (naturally occuring) sugar was in it. I'm not confusing it with fruit drink. But if you just eat an orange you are so much better off than the juice cos you get the fibre as well and that steadies the absorption of it.

Also, nothing wrong with bread and OJ in moderation. Food is meant to be enjoyable and fun after all.

But my post was directed at the OP who was taking on turkish bread 3 times a day and thinking it was healthy. Probably healthier than what he was doing before but still not great if healthy food and optimising your nutrition is your goal.

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:04 am

Ah yes we're the same age, I've seen all the food pyramids, and even in the second one you linked The first 3 words from the 1982 pyramid are Eat Most: Vegetables ..... and for the most part over the last 3 and a half decades that has been more or less the message vegetables, fruits, grains etc, without getting too pedantic.
The OP has posted many things about his dietary habits none of which indicate he has ever looked at a food pyramid and or followed the simple advice of dietitians.
Glad to hear your enjoying your new eating habits, I for one certainly eat very little meat now compared to when was in my 20's

zill

Postby zill » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Aussiebullet wrote: The OP has posted many things about his dietary habits none of which indicate he has ever looked at a food pyramid and or followed the simple advice of dietitians.
I've changed. Eating much more healthy now. But then again my weight is a lot higher than before a the moment. I'm currently trying to eat healthy and develop those habits first then try to lose weight. FYI, not eating Turkish bread anymore. Prefer pasta at the moment because they are easy to weigh and count calories with.

I do remember the food pyramid in the 90s. Today, they are emphasizing less foods like pasta, bread, cereal and rice compared to before. I wonder if they are suggesting the portions on a weight basis or on a calorie basis. If by weight then it's very easy to achieve since pastas and rice have more than 10 times calories per gram than most vegetables. However, if by calories than that would be difficult as would shopping!

My old eating habits were not because of lack of education but not able to control urges. None of my family are skinny. If the set point theory is right then my set point BMI is around 24 upwards but I am aiming for 21. When my BMI goes below 24, strong urges of binging on caloric foods start to appear.

https://medical.mit.edu/sites/default/f ... theory.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Aussiebullet wrote:Ah yes we're the same age, I've seen all the food pyramids, and even in the second one you linked The first 3 words from the 1982 pyramid are Eat Most: Vegetables ..... and for the most part over the last 3 and a half decades that has been more or less the message vegetables, fruits, grains etc, without getting too pedantic.
The OP has posted many things about his dietary habits none of which indicate he has ever looked at a food pyramid and or followed the simple advice of dietitians.
Glad to hear your enjoying your new eating habits, I for one certainly eat very little meat now compared to when was in my 20's

Yes, I agree. Fruit and vegies have always been part of the base of the pyramid for sure. But I guess its the recent de-emphasising of refined carbs that has had an impact of me.

I also was an meat eating machine in my 20s - a bit like this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sarlacc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A younger, fatter and less fit Misterhorsey would have a creamy chicken pasta for lunch followed by a can of coke and a mars bar.
He would also eat white bread with impunity and if he got a cold he would go buy a 2 litre bottle of OJ and drink it. The mars bar and coke wouldn't be on the food pyramid but having heaps of white bread was kind of OK by the old standard.

I think the thinking behind this was all fat was bad, and carbs were all good. Obviously we know some fats are good in moderation. And I don't think all carbs are now bad but its about balance, isn't it?

Right now I'm just about to tuck into a big bowl of pasta with chilli, tomato green beans, zucchini and some soy nuggets as I've just had a big ride. Its a big bowl of pasta but old food pyramid misterhorsey would have thought the volume of food and the pasta as part of a healthy balanced diet, whereas nowadays I'm not going to deny myself pasta but I see it more as a treat. What my friend tells his toddler as a 'sometimes food'!

But these days I'm enjoying just thinking a little more critically about food (much as Zill is), but also not following all the stupid fads that are about.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:05 pm

zill wrote:
Aussiebullet wrote: The OP has posted many things about his dietary habits none of which indicate he has ever looked at a food pyramid and or followed the simple advice of dietitians.
I've changed. Eating much more healthy now. But then again my weight is a lot higher than before a the moment. I'm currently trying to eat healthy and develop those habits first then try to lose weight. FYI, not eating Turkish bread anymore. Prefer pasta at the moment because they are easy to weigh and count calories with.

I do remember the food pyramid in the 90s. Today, they are emphasizing less foods like pasta, bread, cereal and rice compared to before. I wonder if they are suggesting the portions on a weight basis or on a calorie basis. If by weight then it's very easy to achieve since pastas and rice have more than 10 times calories per gram than most vegetables. However, if by calories than that would be difficult as would shopping!

My old eating habits were not because of lack of education but not able to control urges. None of my family are skinny. If the set point theory is right then my set point BMI is around 24 upwards but I am aiming for 21. When my BMI goes below 24, strong urges of binging on caloric foods start to appear.

https://medical.mit.edu/sites/default/f ... theory.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zill I've never been a calorie counter, but maybe try making meals around carby vegies instead of refined carbs like pasta. I"m trying to lost fat at the moment. Weight, I couldn't be bothered measuring it. After all, if you've more muscle you'll be heavier than a tubby version of yourself. Although I guess weight has an impact on cycling performance.

I think the theory behind is that refined carbs have a lot of energy but less actual vitamins and minerals. They also don't make you feel very full. I know when I get lazy and start eating a lot of bread and pasta and rice I end up just getting hungrier.

So what carby veggies make a good replacement? Potato. Sweet potato. Corn. Or if you make a pasta, cut the amount of pasta in half that you'd normally have with it and then double up on Veg.

I'm no expert. I'm not anti-bread or pasta at all. But making a few shifts in the proportions of ingredients. can have some benefits

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Another, last, thought. Calorie counting may work for some.

But I think it would be better to take a long term view and shift your habits, your preferences and your inclinations towards healthier food, better proportions, smaller portions, rather than doling out set quantities of kilojoulies. That way you adjust your actual lifestyle so that the changes become second nature and you're eating healthily because that's the way you prefer to eat.

As a former frequent coke drinker and mars bar eater it is possible to modify your palate but it does take some time.

Anyway, good luck with it.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:35 pm

misterhorsey wrote:
So what carby veggies make a good replacement? Potato. Sweet potato. Corn. Or if you make a pasta, cut the amount of pasta in half that you'd normally have with it and then double up on Veg.

For some reason oates don't make me full easily but other carbs do a good job at making me full.

Another thing is for a good night's sleep, seems like carbs are important. I've had many nights of waking up too early and those nights tend to be nights when I very little carbs. However, there have also been nights when I have woken up very early being carb loaded. Although I am much more confident about having a good night's sleep after a carb loaded meal.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:45 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Calorie counting may work for some.

The thing I've realised with calorie counting is it's a fancy way to go about portion control.

I am someone who will eat until the plate is empty (like Joey on Friends). But with calorie counting, you can't do that. Or rather you cook as much as you need rather than desire or is convenient.

Another thing I've realized with losing fat is you should be able to feel it (i.e losing the fat) and also you should feel slightly hungry before your meals and not too full after eating them. So really it's not difficult at all and moreover, you should be able to know that you've lost weight even without weighing yourself. So losing weight is not rocket science but human emotions get in the way all too often plus the fact that food is too easily available.