Diet Thread

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody

Re: Diet Thread

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:36 pm

The below article is on link between Alzheimer's and aluminium.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2017nl ... eimers.htm

The video version below. Probably easier to read the article as there is a fair amount of OT discussion in the video.

I thought the video below on the psychological view of diet differences was interesting.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Two of my class participants spent 2 weeks in Hawaii. He was commenting about the portion sizes, the end result was that he had put on 3.5kg in 2 weeks. We discussed a bit about creature habits such as how males will tend to eat what is put in front of them and in a restaurant situation where the males and females are given the same serving size, that the female will give their plate to the males to finish off. BTY he recons he will loose the 3.5kg pretty quick
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Nobody wrote:"Ending the Cholesterol Debate"

https://youtu.be/zs9dNuxSGFE?t=7m31s

It should end the debate, but I know it won't. There will still be those that aren't that genetically susceptible who will say they eat plenty of animal products and don't have any problems. By saying this they endanger the health and lives of those who are genetically susceptible and follow their lead.
Yeah it won't because "what is this study". She just speaks off some paper without citing sources which is bad science.
All the sources are available to Wellness Forum members AFAIK.
I waited a while on this one to see if another article came up from someone else with a reference. But haven't seen any. So I did a little bit of digging and came up with the following link which matches her quote.
https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/handle/10044/1/45373

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:52 am

Poor diet choices are considered to be about 80% of the obesity problem* with about 20% being credited to a lack of exercise. The below article shows that in 2015, 30% of the global population was obese. So global obesity should he higher now. It's a complex problem and as CK would point out, there are a host of psychological/situational/cultural/values issues which lead to poor dietary choices. So the world appears to be developing a fast/processed/addictive food culture.
In 2015, excess weight affected 2.2 billion children and adults worldwide, or 30% of all people. This includes nearly 108 million children and more than 600 million adults with BMI exceeding 30, the threshold for obesity, according to the study.
More than 2 billion people overweight or obese, new study finds

* The study below shows that diet is 78% and exercise is only 22% of the weight loss equation.
The following is from a the American Institute for Cancer Research blog which summarises a recent study comparing diet and exercise in weight loss.
[quote]After 12 months, women in the exercise group lost 2.4% of their body weight; diet only reduced by 8.5% and those exercising and dieting lost 10.8% of their weight.[/quote]
http://blog.aicr.org/2016/07/15/study-l ... more-18206

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:20 am

This video shows that TMAO is damaging in more ways than first thought.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to ... with-diet/

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:21 pm

The 80/20 split is what I quote to those looking for fat reduction. For many its the first step to a healthier life which starts off with calorie control and energy expenditure. Some of those will take the next step which could be body conditioning, sports conditioning, nutrition, bone density, postural alignment, etc, etc and is usually a combination of them.

The figure 2 billion overweight or obese figure may not be the whole story, depending on how they are measuring it. We might find that BMI is out of date for statistical measurements - as we know BMI makes an assumption on how much muscle mass we have and should make a reasonable statistical average but the problem is that the average amount of muscle mass has most likely reduced in the population and this means that a portion of those in the healthy BMI range are actually carrying more fat than the rating assumes. The speculation that was communicated to me was that approx half those in the healthy BMI range are actually carrying an unhealthy amount of fat. [Sorry haven't seen a study on this so take it with a pinch of salt until a study comes our way]

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am

Caught a domestic flight on Saturday and due to a delay in getting to the airport we ran a bit tight so decided to pick up a McDonald's family pack and carry it onto the plane. So they asked me which burgers I want, rattling off the names of the burgers and I said I didn't know their burgers, please give me an assortment, which they did. Now I don't know if that was my mistake or not but the buns on the burgers were horrible, like soft sponge.

I struggle to understand why they are so popular, is it telling me that most people have different taste to me in bread? Or is it saying that their marketing has been so successful that they can sell a product that wouldn't be touched in your local independent burger bar?

BTY if I'm in that situation again I'll buy a bunch of wraps even though there is no Kj advantage.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:47 pm

Macca's burgers are filled with sugar. When I have to eat there, I ditch the bun. Also their "salad" on burgers is dismal. Ask for 3 spinach and get 3 baby spinach leaves. I want cupful!
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:10 am

Baalzamon wrote:Macca's burgers are filled with sugar. When I have to eat there, I ditch the bun. Also their "salad" on burgers is dismal. Ask for 3 spinach and get 3 baby spinach leaves. I want cupful!
LOL. Ironically the Macca's salad can't be faulted.

Tuesday is my fast food lunch adventure, perhaps I should dedicate today to seeing what I can get out of a Macca's burger :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Macca's burgers are filled with sugar. When I have to eat there, I ditch the bun. Also their "salad" on burgers is dismal. Ask for 3 spinach and get 3 baby spinach leaves. I want cupful!
LOL. Ironically the Macca's salad can't be faulted.

Tuesday is my fast food lunch adventure, perhaps I should dedicate today to seeing what I can get out of a Macca's burger :)
I didn't end up buying a burger but I did have a look thru the electronic ordering system at them. There's two basic types of buns, the ones that look like the spongy things which were the ones that I discovered at the airport and there's another which is visually improved, I suspect its much closer to what I would expect from an independent. One day when I'm seriously hungry I'll go for it.

I had a look at some salad meal options, one was Kj heavy as per their burger offerrings but the other two were Kj light, one with the cheese tomato toastie and the other even lower. What I found interesting was that these salads appeared to be $2 more than the equivalent burger so I'm assuming they are not equivalent.

For the record I got Ham, Cheese, Tomato toastie, green salad and a long black

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 pm

Been doing more reading here, and watching the videos at nutritionfacts.org
They recommend eating purple sweet potatoes - is that the purple skinned ones that are white inside, or the white skinned ones that turn purple when you cook them?
Seems eating sweet potatoes gives you a bit of gas too? Any particular foods to eat alongside them in order to reduce this side effect?
I'm trying to eat 5 to 10 different types of veges each day. Constipation issues gone now, just a bit gassier than expected.
Appreciate your tips/pointers.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 pm

You may just need to give your body/microbiome more time to adjust. It can take weeks or more. It also could be a sign that you're eating too much in one sitting. It is for me anyway. Sorry, but I don't know of any foods that will help, other than substituting with known (to you) less gassy foods. Cooking your veg longer may help.

As for which sweet potato to use, it doesn't really matter that much. Greger appears to get very involved in what he does and I believe he can get a bit carried away in the detail, as he loves science. Most of the win is removing the animal products, oils/processed_fats and overly processed grains. Yes, getting more veg is better (which I do at about 17 serves a day) but which veg in particular matters a lot less. I've tried plenty of different types of fruit and veg and generally can't tell much difference in how I feel other than certain foods tend to trigger mild eczema for me. Try plenty of different whole foods, then after a few weeks of trying a new type, ask yourself if you feel better. That should be reasonable indicator since we individually may have different tolerances/intolerances to various foods which the science probably won't help us with. Personally I find my body prefers normal potatoes to sweet potato, but Greger isn't a fan of potatoes.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks. I'll worry less about the types of veg and just focus on slowly reducing refined foods and animal products intake.

Also, after watching the Greger video on Amla, I found an indian grocery store, but could only get dried gooseberry, not amla powder. It looks like dried slices of black olive. Any tips on what to do with it?
I know Greger has amla powder in his smoothies, but I don't do smoothies.
Should I just eat it straight (looks hard and tough), or should I soak it then eat it? Or just chuck some into cereal/yoghurt? Or just add some into hot tea?
Couldn't find anything easily when googling (most hits about fresh gooseberries or amla powder).

Cheers.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:17 pm

I went to another Indian grocery store and found some Amla powder.
Now I have both dried fruit and powder.
Next step is to test them out...
Hopefully not too foul tasting!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Generically speaking dried products tend to concentrate what's in them and its easy to eat 10 dried apricots but much more difficult to eat 10 apricots. So read the nutritional info on the labeling.

BTW can you let me know if any of those products get the thumbs up after reading the nutritional info, they sound interesting.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Zippy7 wrote:Also, after watching the Greger video on Amla, I found an indian grocery store, but could only get dried gooseberry, not amla powder. It looks like dried slices of black olive. Any tips on what to do with it?
Sorry. Know nothing about Amla.
Zippy7 wrote:I know Greger has amla powder in his smoothies, but I don't do smoothies.
Good plan not to do smoothies (if that's your plan). Some other plant based doctors like Esselstyn recommend against them as they believe you should chew your food instead. Even one of Greger's videos shows that smoothies which are drunk quickly hit the stomach too fast for best health.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:22 am

I'll add to Nobody's words about smoothies, that for otherwise healthy individuals, the human body is designed, or evolved for food to be taken as solids. The profundity of this should not be taken lightly.

Chewing, swallowing of a bolus, and the role of intact fiber, play an important role in digestive tract signaling for :
- the secretion of digestive acids and enzymes.
- GIT wall protective mucins that neutralize acids and keep the wall optimally moist and lubed for gut/blood barrier patency and immunity.
- esophageal, pyloric, and internal anal sphincters, and the ileocoecal valve that help control movement of food through the GIT, and appropriate release of enzymes in the case of the ampulla of vater.
- antropyloroduodenal and intestinal motility waves that optimize the timely movement of food through the gut, and signal satiety.
- forming of solid stools in the sigmoid colon that can be eliminated with less straining.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:35 am

Nobody wrote:smoothies which are drunk quickly hit the stomach too fast for best health.
I used to have Boost juice smoothies, but since reviewing and "optimising" my nutrition, it's not really my thing anymore.
However, I'll interpret this to mean that "Brain Freeze" is the body's natural slow down signal :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:24 pm

A bit like my analysis of fast food options, there are better and worse options at Boost. There's a fair bit of Nutritional info on their web site https://www.boostjuice.com.au/wellbeing ... ion-facts/ (check the links within). There are some options that gets the calorie count down with a can of coke or a cappuccino.

This is one of my biggest bugbears, the product is sold as a health product but as Nobody and CK have articulated its not. It's a dietary area that's harder to convince people to stay away from, after all if its the same piece of fruit they would of eaten, then how does a blender make it unhealthy? Of course they are also ignoring juice extraction, where the bulk of the fibre ends up in the bin which also means that the other components are concentrated.

He's a counter argument, if I'm down at the local shopping centre and I buy a cappuccino (instead of my usual long black) not only do I have the effect of the coffee, I've also got the same calories of the Juice Bar Calorie counter options. Am I in a position to argue against someone, my partner for example, purchasing from the Juice bar?

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Okay. I've opened the Dried Gooseberry packet and tried one piece.
It's so dry its rock hard, and the only taste I got from crunching it (and I did think that it was possible to hurt my teeth at one stage) was bitterness. I had a few pieces of dried ginger to wash out the taste.
I'll have to figure out some way of soaking them to soften them up.
I think that'll be $10 down the drain, but at least I know now.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Remember my analysis of the fast food choices, aka my Tuesday lunch. Well I went back to that subway where I got stale bread and no coffee. The result was that this time they asked me which bread I wanted and it wasn't stale. I noticed that the coffee machine was switched off so when they asked me if I wanted a drink I said coffee and they told me the coffee machine wasn't working so I said I only want coffee and didn't purchase a drink, I drank out of my water bottle. I also noticed that the soft drink dispenser machine was broken meaning that the only drinks available were the bottled ones. Conclusion is that this subway is still dodgy but not as dodgy as before

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Mike, I can't remember if I told you before, but if you can put your experience in writing to Subway HQ, they''l be all over that franchisee. I have a mate who owns 5 Subways. He's a master franchisee and the company goes to a lot of trouble to keep out rogue operators.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:21 pm

For those who think low carb high fat vegan diets might be the way to go.

Legumes = Longevity

From Brenda Davis. http://www.brendadavisrd.com/

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:46 pm

CKinnard wrote:For those who think low carb high fat vegan diets might be the way to go.

Legumes = Longevity

From Brenda Davis. http://www.brendadavisrd.com/
That's a good graph CK and its pretty close to how I perceive the food pyramid should be with green vegetables taking the base. Whole grains have done worse than I would of expected, you learn something new every day

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:09 pm

I would have thought legumes would have done better than starchy veg, so there ya go. Everything else makes sense.

Anything below whole grains I wouldn't even consider eating. "But olive oil is so good for you." :roll:

I didn't really feel that good when eating legumes and I tried them for about 6 months. If I had to eat legumes to get 8% longer life, I'd probably be happier dying earlier. I'll do a Greger and ask, legumes give longer life compared to what? A SAD? I remember that the Mediterranean diet video by Greger (below) saying it was about the veg and nuts.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/which- ... nded-life/

No surprise that it was Dr Furryman that did the nutrient density calculations.