Polymyalgia rheumatica

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
master6

Polymyalgia rheumatica

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Curious to know whether anyone here has suffered this condition. I have had it since September 2007. It developed suddenly and severely the day after a long hard ride. Prednisone provides a miraculous relief, however I am unable to reduce the drug below 3mg daily without recurrence. Any advice will be appreciated.

elantra

Re: Polymyalgia rheumatica

Postby elantra » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Polymyalgia Rheumatica is typically only seen in persons over the age of 50.
If you only need 3mg of prednisone daily to control it that is not too severe a price to pay, although i understand that a cure would be nicer for you.
Diagnosis is based on an old-fashioned blood test (the "ESR") or its more new-fangled equivalent (the "CRP")
Can't think of much else to say really, i am also "over 50" so i will learn from your experience and avoid hard riding :(
I have intermittant leg problems, which is definitely not PMR.
try Wikipaedia for a bit of background info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymyalgia_rheumatica

Yours in cycling, Steve

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:59 pm

elantra wrote:Polymyalgia Rheumatica...
Can't think of much else to say really, i am also "over 50" so i will learn from your experience and avoid hard riding :(
I am not aware of it to being triggered by hard riding or exercises.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

nutsack

Postby nutsack » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:48 pm

How old are you?

Have you seen a rheumatologist to confirm the condition?

As mentioned previously it mostly affects older folk, responds very well to prednislone, and prednisolone not unusually needs to be taken for a very long time. I am aware of of a few people that have been on 1-3mg for over 3 years and continue to wean very very slowly.

Also as mentioned above, hard physical exercise is not known to be a trigger. If you are younger and/or convinced exercise is a trigger than alternative possibilities include the myositis range of conditions. Discuss with your gp.
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red