Treating a Saddle Sore

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
warthog1

Re: Treating a Saddle Sore

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:A powerful antibacterial ointment for treating saddle sores is bactroban. It's primary use is to kill staph. It was Lance Armstrongs go to ointment so it must work well! lol

It's script only and not on the PBS, so it will cost u 15 - 20 bux. Good investment... Ask yr GP next you see them...
No worries thanks mate :)
That's what shes got me on as well as oral ab's.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:26 pm

:oops: not sure if i should be asking this either to be honest...

does anyone ever get any (what i assume to be) friction blisters?. These aren't zitty like things at all but just come up almost as a friction rub. Possibly if i haven't pulled my shorts up high enough :oops: ? But i know I sit slightly uneven as one of my legs is a bit wonky and they usually come on the same side. Plus 80% of my riding i've also got a fairly loaded backpack on. They don't usually hurt until they're almost ripe but it's a quick pop and its only ever blood that comes out. No pus or other oozy revolting stuff. They're usually right in the crease where my leg joins my undercarriage. That's why i assume it's friction rather than infection. just a straight old blood blister.

And to answer the inevitable - yes i'm hygenic. yes i change my shorts. yes i wash and prune...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Good work WH...

Friction is a big cause...
Friction often can be alleviated somewhat by ass creams when riding, BUT, a lot of friction causes are due to setup issues, cleat placement, leg length discrepancies, and saddle height.

For example I have a right leg short by 8mm. I ride with a 5mm shim stack. I ride perfectly comfortable with no friction or saddle soreness issues. If I drop back to 3mm shim stack I get terrible right gooch soreness... If I drop my saddle 5mm I get terrible left gooch soreness... If I drop the nose of my saddle 5mm I get midline gooch soreness... If I tilt my saddle 5mm back I get coccyx pressure... If my saddle if 5mm setback too far I get midline gooch soreness from pulling myself forwards with my pedal stroke...

Bottom line is, if u can't get comfortable with ass creams and one or two different saddles, then the answer lies in fit and not what equipment, shorts or ass lubes your using... [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Tim wrote:I thought this thread had died and gone to distasteful, vomit inducing, old-post hell. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
warthog1 wrote:Sorry :mrgreen:
It's a great thread. Should sticky it :P
Two years ago I started it and not a single occurrence since.
I'm convinced that zinc is the magic remedy.
Skin Basics brand Zinc and Castor Oil Cream, also contains peanut oil, alcohol and beeswax and no chemical nasties at all.
Perfect solution to a problem that plagued me for ages.
I haven't tried it but zinc is effective on acne too.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 pm

i was thinking as I was riding home tonight that I think sometimes that if you don't get your shorts right up and there's a small bit of skin on skin (ie right up in the top of your leg crease) then that's probably why. most of my shorts are good and I am right 90% of the time. It's just that sometimes they pop up and you find them in the shower. I mean they're not uncomfortable or so. a good pop, fresh blood and its all over. I've never used bum cream either.

they sound way better than Tim's Mt Vesuvius.... :twisted:

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:53 pm

cp123 wrote:they sound way better than Tim's Mt Vesuvius.... :twisted:
Nah, no worries any more.
Besides, it only surfaces every 30 years.
I'll be ninety before the next eruption is due. :D
edit; eighty.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:12 am

cp123 wrote::oops: not sure if i should be asking this either to be honest...

does anyone ever get any (what i assume to be) friction blisters?. These aren't zitty like things at all but just come up almost as a friction rub. Possibly if i haven't pulled my shorts up high enough :oops: ? But i know I sit slightly uneven as one of my legs is a bit wonky and they usually come on the same side. Plus 80% of my riding i've also got a fairly loaded backpack on. They don't usually hurt until they're almost ripe but it's a quick pop and its only ever blood that comes out. No pus or other oozy revolting stuff. They're usually right in the crease where my leg joins my undercarriage. That's why i assume it's friction rather than infection. just a straight old blood blister.

And to answer the inevitable - yes i'm hygenic. yes i change my shorts. yes i wash and prune...
Yes, I get these right in the soft skin in the crease between the top of my leg and the rest of my equipment. I skipped my main training ride for the week on Sunday because of them.

I have one set of knicks that tends to get them started but the roadies saddle is a contribhtor too.

I'm currently using a couple of creams to get them to settle and have also had my sit bones measured and bought a Specialized BG saddle to try under their swap program.

Have also dropped the saddle 5mm as it was that much too high compared to my mtb bike fit so probably a bit of pelvis rock going on. May ne3d to lower further with the low stack-height Speedplays but we'll see.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

FatBoyBiker

Postby FatBoyBiker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:50 pm

Never ever suffered from them in many years of riding then recently had a bike fit with no saddle change so wasnt much different overall just saddle height then Wammo heaps of saddle sores and issues same as described ended up I Dropped saddle 10 mm and they went away ended going back up 4- 5 mm as it felt too low... No saddle sores Lower the saddle creams etc just mask the issue (friction)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Well after about 5 weeks trialling different Specialized saddles on the roadie I've settled in a Specialized Romin Expert. No more saddle sores. I'm a happy camper again.

Now I need to find something as good for the XC bike that is 20mm narrower at the wide point - anything wider than 135mm and I bang the inside of my thighs around too much.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:21 pm

trailgumby wrote:Well after about 5 weeks trialling different Specialized saddles on the roadie I've settled in a Specialized Romin Expert. No more saddle sores. I'm a happy camper again.

Now I need to find something as good for the XC bike that is 20mm narrower at the wide point - anything wider than 135mm and I bang the inside of my thighs around too much.

So just how do you trial so many saddles? Did you purchase, rent or trial from somewhere?

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:51 pm

I've been trialing several cheap options for chamois cream lately.
I've tried : Sorbolene Cream, Amolin, Bepanthen (both varieties) and I'm now trialing an even cheaper woolworths branded paw-paw based baby ointment.
My baseline is Morgan Blue solid Chamois Cream. I've also tried the Udderley Smooth in the past.

Summations... Sorbolene is useless, Amolin is ok, bepanthen is a bit better, woolworths paw-paw is even better.
Udderley Smooth is very cheap if purchased with other items from Wiggle, and is an excellent product.

The Morgan Blue doesn't really stop them from developing but there is significantly less discomfort during and after the ride. For example I did 160km on Sunday and there were no issues with MB applied.

After every single ride I apply Lucas Paw-Paw Ointment directly and that helps alot, but I've pretty much resigned to the fact that for me it's a matter of saddle sore management, not elimination.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Well it was 3. They have s fleet of test saddles, usually the bottom end cromo railed versions. You pay retail for that then get to swap it if you want for a different model or for a new one off th3 display rack.

They like you to try them for about 2 weeks. It was through the local Specialized store in Chatswood (well not actually that local) but I'd expect the service to be available through any dedicated Specialized outlet.