BNA Losers Club 2013

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
shann

Re: BNA Losers Club 2013

Postby shann » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
shann wrote:Yesterday at work a colleague asked me if I was really a proper vegan, because all the other vegans she knows are skinny. :evil: Nothing else to report.
So did they survive?
Well I didn't kill them, I'm a vegan you know!

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:07 pm

shann wrote:Yesterday at work a colleague asked me if I was really a proper vegan, because all the other vegans she knows are skinny. :evil: Nothing else to report.
This is waaaaay off topic - but I don't know any vegans. Can I ask you some questions? I've often considered it on moral grounds, because I'm very much an animal lover (and occasional dog-fosterer) - but there's just a few things that hold me back.

- firstly, veganism is fully no animal products (milk, eggs) at all, isn't it?
- did you ever eat meat? How did you give it up? This is my second biggest problem - I love meat! It's one of my favourite foods!
- if you used to eat meat, but gave it up, how did your body react/adjust? This is my biggest concern - from a life of being a carnivore, I'm quite concerned about how my body would react.
- how do you get the iron, protein and other vitamins that most people get from meat? I know the diet and exercise routine that I'm on is heavy on protein, including meal replacement protein shakes - but eating heavy protein foods like meat and eggs are another critical element of it.
- how do you look after your bones without dairy?
- did you get to veganism via vegetarianism?
- does it make shopping hard? Do you have to make everything from scratch? For anything "pre-packaged" do you have to spend hours in the supermarket reading labels?

I might have some more questions later, but I wont burden you too much for now. From a moral perspective, I would love to be able to not have any animals suffer or killed at my hands - but I'm a bit (actually, I'm very) concerned about the practicalities of what I would be left with and the health implications of such a massive lifestyle change. (I already suck at remembering to take the pills and vitamins that I already have...)

shann

Postby shann » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:16 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
This is waaaaay off topic - but I don't know any vegans. Can I ask you some questions? I've often considered it on moral grounds, because I'm very much an animal lover (and occasional dog-fosterer) - but there's just a few things that hold me back.

Sure you can ask questions.

- firstly, veganism is fully no animal products (milk, eggs) at all, isn't it? Yup, that's it.

- did you ever eat meat? How did you give it up? This is my second biggest problem - I love meat! It's one of my favourite foods! I ate meat and lived in the country, so we ate animals that had previously been pets, fish we'd caught, etc. I stopped cold turkey. It was hard on my family but I just couldn't go on eating animals.

- if you used to eat meat, but gave it up, how did your body react/adjust? This is my biggest concern - from a life of being a carnivore, I'm quite concerned about how my body would react.

Unsure about this one - I quit it in Year 12, and then went on to be a poor uni student. I couldn't afford to eat very much, so it was a rice and vegies type existence. Definitely don't do that! (We are also talking over 10 years ago, so not as many pre made vegan products around). I wasn't exercising much so I was 'skinny fat', but obviously that's no longer a problem. When my husband went vegan he very quickly lost weight, from about 115kg down to about 95.

- how do you get the iron, protein and other vitamins that most people get from meat? I know the diet and exercise routine that I'm on is heavy on protein, including meal replacement protein shakes - but eating heavy protein foods like meat and eggs are another critical element of it.

I have recently started drinking protein shakes for brekky, and like them better than cereal in terms of how I feel afterward. I snack on nuts, and try to eat tofu, tempeh, and other awful processed vege protein things regularly. You do need to eat a wide variety of foods. I take vegan iron supplements and vegan B12.

- how do you look after your bones without dairy?

Calcium added soy milk. Lots of vegies and nuts have calcium.

- did you get to veganism via vegetarianism?

Yep - but I was never a big cheese or milk person anyway. It was two things that prompted the shift; learning about some yucky stuff that goes on in milk and egg production, and discovering that chocolates etc. contain weird additives that come from animals.

- does it make shopping hard? Do you have to make everything from scratch? For anything "pre-packaged" do you have to spend hours in the supermarket reading labels?

The label reading is an initial investment, if you like, and then you get to know what's vegan and what's not. We do cook from scratch a lot, but that's because we live in Nowhereseville and there are no restaurants around. If you go to your local Safeway, they've got frozen vegan pies, burgers, schnitzels etc. from a brand called Fry's. They are 100% more awesome than Sanitarium things and our meat eating friends eat them quite happily.

I might have some more questions later, but I wont burden you too much for now. From a moral perspective, I would love to be able to not have any animals suffer or killed at my hands - but I'm a bit (actually, I'm very) concerned about the practicalities of what I would be left with and the health implications of such a massive lifestyle change. (I already suck at remembering to take the pills and vitamins that I already have...)

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks for that Shann. I might do some research during my grocery shop tomorrow.

I'm just thinking that I've changed my entire diet to a lot of fruit and veg. I've already cut out things like chocolate and cheese. I don't know anything about Paleo, but my friend says that my diet is pretty similar to Paleo, so maybe that's a good way to describe it.

The only dairy I really have left is yoghurt.

My problem would be that every one of my daily main meal is based around either meat or veg.

Presumably there's plenty of vegan cook books that you can get? Are there any that you could recommend I have a look at?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm already part of the Losers club, and have shed 45kgs since Sept last year. I still have another 30kgs or so to go to be in a healthy weight range (although the gym I go to has really high tech scales that measure fat, muscle, water etc, so that number changes according to muscle mass.)

How much muscle did you lose when you made the switch?

I know that realistically, you as a vegan are probably likely to tell interested people to "just do it" - but hopefully you can consider this from my perspective and advise, would you wait until I'm closer to a goal weight to try veganism? Or would you just do it straight away and focus on a protein-heavy vegan diet?

What sort of foods have the "hidden" animal products? I guess what I'm really asking is what's your "Christmas treat"? For me, in the midst of my diet, the only break from that diet (my "Christmas treat") was some blue cheese and a can of fanta - can you eat some flavour potato chips? Can you drink soft drink? (In many ways, it would be better if I couldn't drink soft drink!)

As I mentioned in my previous post, the moral "obligation" is my main reason for doing this... but I can't help but think that, after I spent 10 years eating, there's a lot of positives personally in this type of lifestyle as well. If I can give up meat, it certainly removes the temptation to stop by maccas for a cheese burger after a bad day (even after my worst days I restrain myself!)

My final question stems from your post - would you say you did it more for moral reasons, or is it just because of the gross things you saw growing up, the eating of pets etc?

shann

Postby shann » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:00 pm

For me, it was easy to go veg because my reason (about moral obligations) and my feelings (about animals I had liked and eaten) were telling me the same thing. I think it's harder if there's a disagreement there. I was also young!

Maybe try making a gradual change. Give yourself time to make the switch. Buy some tempeh, and instead of making chicken peanut satay, make tempeh peanut satay. Tempeh is pretty filling and people we've served it to have been like, 'I didn't think you ate chicken'. I don't recommend buying a whole fridge full of vegan protein things and forcing yourself to eat them. Some things - like tofu - I have only just now come to like, and even then I can only deal with certain kinds of tofu. Go gently and you'll soon work out what will work for you.

How much muscle did I lose when I switched? No idea - I wasn't muscular to begin with, I was a teenage girl who didn't exercise beyond walking. (Like lots of girls, doing sport became embarrassing once the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happened). I think that if you keep eating protein and keep working out you'll be fine.

As for additives, food labelling is much more helpful now. They have to say if they contain milk or egg, and if your packet says it 'contains traces' of those things then you know they're not actual ingredients. You can google around and find a list of what the numbers mean; some of them are quite weird. It's up to you how far you go, veganism isn't a religion, and it's not an absolute, it's about avoiding where possible.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks again Shann...

Yeah, I think I would do it gradually - I would at least need to go via vegetarianism I think... I wouldn't be able to cut out meat and eggs at once, because they're the staples of my protein rich diet.

I will mention it to my doctor next time I see him though and see what he thinks about the effects on muscle "waste" and wellbeing though.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 pm

I've never done the vegan thing, but I've been vegetarian for extended periods a few times [1].

I echo the warning about going for a cheap student vego diet. My second time, we spent ~6 months eating masses of rice and pasta, topped with a herb/spice/vegetable "sauce", and got fat. This was the '90s, before terms like "low carb" had any currency, but we came to the conclusion that is quite obvious now - we just ate waaaay too many carbs and nowhere near enough protein. Even though we were eating eggs and dairy. I was kind of aiming for low-fat, as much as possible, because that was the common knowledge of the time - and thought I was doing pretty well at avoiding fat by not eating meat.

But damn we ate cheap :oops:

i was perfectly fit and healthy while vego - other than progressively packing on the weight. No muscle wastage or obvious nutrient deficiencies. I think my digestive system prefers a vegetarian diet.

tim

[1] I have no real ethical problem with eating animals, but I acknowledge that meat is massively resource-intensive (and pollution-intensive) to produce. You could feed dozens of people with the vegetable matter required to grow meat to feed one person. Given that it's possible to live without eating meat, I don't believe I have a right to eat all those peoples' food (recycled through animals). But... my beliefs aren't strong enough to be bothered with the practicalities of being vego, when my wife and family aren't interested in doing the same. Given that I'm eating meat, I just suck up the cognitive dissonance and eat a "normal" omnivorous diet, making no real effort to eat _less_ meat.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:17 am

YouAgainstMe wrote:
clydesmcdale wrote:
BMI has just tipped under into the Normal Weight Range at 24.6 (if you follow that sort of thing). Bought my first pair of 36inch jeans since I was a teenager over the weekend.
Upping the kms and looking more closely at the diet. WIll try and throw some runs and swims in too.
Nice work on the weight loss clydesmcdale. Curious what your diet looks like and does/doesn't consist of? and also what training are you doing per week?
No strict diet or anything, just have a sense of trying to eat well. I'm not going to go stupid and eat grilled chicken and steamed vegatbales for every meal, but i'll avoid fast food and those things that are obviously bad for me. I don't see the strict diet as something I could maintain for life.

I contribute 4 things to my weightloss.

1: I cut out as much sugar as I could. It’s always a been a problem for me and gaining weight. Avoid it where I can, but don’t stress too much about incidental intake.
2: Portion control. I’ve always eaten too much, even of decent food. Cutting my portions cuts my energy intake to more appropriate levels
3: Exercise. I ride around 150-200km a week at reasonable intensity. This year i’m focussing on more climbing and it’s certainly helping to drop the weight. I’ll start to add some running into the mix to shift the last few kgs.
4: The biggest change... Alcohol. Obviously related to item 1 and sugar intake. I’ve reduced my alcohol intake significantly... significantly. At my heaviest I was drinking a lot. Too much... to the point of being a high functioning alcoholic. 4-5 pints of heavy beer per night, every night. I was feeling crap, no energy, could hardly keep up with the kids, was always tired and lethargic. My health was dropping off fast and the weight going up even faster. I still have the occasional here and there, but it’s nothing like before.

It all came about after I lost my job through redundancy and decided to change my life. So I bought a bike, and the rest is history. Now in the shape of my life, weigh less than I ever have as an adult and feeling great.

Sturgis

Postby Sturgis » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm in. Lost 6kg during 2012, mainly (80%) eating Paleo type diet (grass-fed meat, seafood, plenty of vegs, some fruit, nuts and seeds).
This year I really want to clean up my eating, the 20% I didn't do well was all the sweets and chocs I had inbetween.

4/2/2013
Age/gender: 55/female
Height: 181cm
Weight: 70.8kg
Target: 65kg by April

vince

Postby vince » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi all
my weight has yo yo'd from 90kg to 108kg in the past 10 years or so and at the moment i'm at 100kg :( . i'd be happy at 90kg tho 86 is about where i want to be, lets see how we go. i have used calorie king in the past but at this stage it isnt available on android (soon i hope) so i have started with my fitness pal, their exercise calorie calculations seem a bit off compared to the polar HRM but food seems accurate.
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

vince

Postby vince » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:16 am

09/02/2013 100.3kg
16/02/2013 99.6kg a loss of 0.7kg 1 x 20kmh ride av 24kph total exercise. it's a start!!!
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Worth posting a February update. It's all good news!

Height is 179cm.

Sept 2012: 179kgs (starting weight)
End Nov 2012: 157kg (this is when I commenced going to the gym - the previous 22kgs had been lost by diet)
2 Jan 2013: 141kg (this was my first post here)
15 Feb 2013: 134kg.

I was initially disappointed that my weight loss slowed down so much - but the very high tech scales at the gym reckon that the last 23kgs (since beginning at the gym) is pretty much all fat loss. This is significant because most people's weight loss includes 20-25% muscle loss. It's now clear to me that initial weight loss before I went to the gym was a lot of muscle.

Here's some other impressive numbers, after realising this week that my clothes are ridiculously big. So I just went to Target, because I'll have to replace these clothes again by June.

Shirt size:
Sept 2012 - 60/9xl
Feb 2013 - 50/4xl

Tshirt size:
Sept 2012 - 7xl (in very big sizing)
Feb 2013 - 3xl (in Target's notoriously small sizing)

Shorts size:
Sept 2012 - 6xl
Feb 2013 - 3xl (and now that I'm wearing them, I wish I'd gone the 2xl)

Pants size:
Sept 2012 - 132
Feb 2013 - 117

I must've sounded crazy when I was in the fitting room trying all this stuff on and realising a) how much smaller these clothes are, and b) how much better I look. I was giggling like a schoolgirl :)

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:45 pm

awesome stuff mate! keep up the good work. 8)
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 am

Round of applause for fatdudeonabike :D

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks dudes - but really, no applause necessary! I obviously started from a very high base, and as I said in my first post in this thread - I didn't start eating better, or going to the gym, or riding a bike because I grew up, became responsible and realised that I looked like a blimp and needed to change my life.

It was just a case that I was sick to death of my car accident-induced back injury, and my weight was stopping it getting better.
I'm only just past half way, and I'm so grateful for the kind words and the well wishers - but it'll mean much more to me when I hit 99kgs :D

Sturgis

Postby Sturgis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Great work, fatdudeonabike, what an inspiration. And here I am bellyaching about the 6-7kgs I want to lose!

kodakmomentz

Postby kodakmomentz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 pm

I've been wanting to get in on this club but late last year I broke my ankle so I've had to put cycling it off on hold.

However i've been eating right and have lost 4kg down to 118kg in 6 weeks. Plan is to get down to 80kg by the end of the year.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Down to 95.0kg from 99.9kg this year so far... 1,500 km of riding done... Eating well and doing daily push-ups and sit-ups as well...
89.9 kg is my first major target for the year and then go on from there...
Getting the food right has been the hardest part of the journey, keeping it right is taking a level of discipline that is quite challenging!!! But, going to make it happen!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 am

brett.hooker wrote:Down to 95.0kg from 99.9kg this year so far... 1,500 km of riding done... Eating well and doing daily push-ups and sit-ups as well...
89.9 kg is my first major target for the year and then go on from there...
Getting the food right has been the hardest part of the journey, keeping it right is taking a level of discipline that is quite challenging!!! But, going to make it happen!!!
That's awesome man - see, this is why I have a hard time accepting too much praise for my weight loss. As I said in my first post in this thread "the number" was never my goal, it's not a motivation. Riding and swimming speed and distance are my goal - and I'm envious of a dude being able to ride that much in the pursuit of weight loss.

When I started I could only ride 10km at a time - even now I can only ride 25km each way. Congrats dude - I'm jealous :evil:

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:55 am

kodakmomentz wrote:I've been wanting to get in on this club but late last year I broke my ankle so I've had to put cycling it off on hold.

However i've been eating right and have lost 4kg down to 118kg in 6 weeks. Plan is to get down to 80kg by the end of the year.
Cripes! Good luck! That's gunna be a tough gig - 118kg isn't that high of a base to be able to lose 40kg, so that's gunna require a lot of riding!

It's the cool thing about weightloss by cycling though I reckon - because you're using the muscles in your legs, you'll maintain, or even grow them. I know that I love the idea that my power output is going to be the same or better when I'm 30kg lighter :D

kodakmomentz

Postby kodakmomentz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:15 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote: Cripes! Good luck! That's gunna be a tough gig - 118kg isn't that high of a base to be able to lose 40kg, so that's gunna require a lot of riding!

It's the cool thing about weightloss by cycling though I reckon - because you're using the muscles in your legs, you'll maintain, or even grow them. I know that I love the idea that my power output is going to be the same or better when I'm 30kg lighter :D
I'm building up for 100k daily round trips - should be good.

Eating right and having everything you need really helps too with the mental aspect of losing weight

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:37 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:Thanks for that Shann. I might do some research during my grocery shop tomorrow.
There's also a lot of great resources online if you are interested. http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/vegan_athlete.pdf
fatdudeonabike wrote:I'm just thinking that I've changed my entire diet to a lot of fruit and veg. I've already cut out things like chocolate and cheese. I don't know anything about Paleo, but my friend says that my diet is pretty similar to Paleo, so maybe that's a good way to describe it.
Actually, a well designed paleo and well designed vegan diet should like pretty similar, just swap the protein. http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article5.aspx
fatdudeonabike wrote:My problem would be that every one of my daily main meal is based around either meat or veg.

Presumably there's plenty of vegan cook books that you can get? Are there any that you could recommend I have a look at?
There are heaps of recipes online. Admittedly, a lot seem to be for vegan desserts :roll: but... there are a lot for main meals too. Just google search for vegan dinner. You might be surprised at the options:
http://www.veganeasy.org/main-meals
fatdudeonabike wrote:I know that realistically, you as a vegan are probably likely to tell interested people to "just do it" - but hopefully you can consider this from my perspective and advise, would you wait until I'm closer to a goal weight to try veganism? Or would you just do it straight away and focus on a protein-heavy vegan diet?
I would advise you to do some research and find out how to design a good vegan diet before switching. After all:
Both vegetarian and omnivorous and diets can be made healthful or harmful; nutritious food choices, wise supplementation and nutritional sophistication will make the difference in the type of diet you choose.
There are some deficiencies to be aware of (which is common to all diets) and you might need some supplementation. Maybe start a thread on veganism if you want more info. Hope this helps!
<removed by request>

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:32 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: Maybe start a thread on veganism if you want more info. Hope this helps!

Please do :!:
2012 Oppy A4

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Been about a month since my initial post, so time for a March update...

Feb: 104kg
Current: 98.9kg
Goal: 92kg

Below 100kg and determined to stay under permanently now 8)

sbr511

Postby sbr511 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:43 pm

sbr511 wrote: Age: 23
Height:179cms
Heaviest - 122.6kgs.
Goal weight - 85-90kgs.
January 1st 2013 - 118.9kgs
February 1st 2013 - 112.4kgs
Update:
So during February I think the weight loss from January went to my head and I abused my body thinking fat loss was easy.
I lost nothing during February, I consumed alcohol like there was no tomorrow, my diet weened slowly away from healthy and exercise was still there.

March started and I was determined to get back on track.
I have also entered my first MTB race, The Kona 24hour. Training for that has given me something to work towards.
As of today March 7th, stats as follows:

Height:179cms
Heaviest - 122.6kgs.
Goal weight - 85-90kgs.
January 1st 2013 - 118.9kgs
February 1st 2013 - 112.4kgs
March 7th 2013 - 110.8kgs

Total weight loss of 8.1kgs for 2013.
Avanti Torrent 2
Avanti Cadent 2
KTM 250SXF
Honda CT70
four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.