BNA Losers Club 2013

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Pax

Re: BNA Losers Club 2013

Postby Pax » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Pax wrote:Failed an attempt to return to cycling and healthier weight last year, going MUCH better this year
Age 53
Start 2013 weight 89kg
Weight loss since 1st Feb 11kg
Current weight 78 kg
Cycling?//...mainly on the JetBlack trainer (oh god how boring is it on a trainer????????????!!!!!!!!!!), plus some social riding, but aim to get back into the bunches sometime in the next few weekends.

Great to see everyone else's efforts
Today = weight lost since 1st Feb 12 Kg
Current weight 77kg

Still mainly on the trainer, no chance of bunch rides for the next couple of weeks due to family committments, but hopefully will be able to after that :)

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:45 pm

barefoot, 8/3/2013 wrote:
barefoot wrote:Age: 38 in March
Weight 1/1/2013: 87 kg
Height: 178 cm
Scales are now usually [1] giving me weights in the mid 84kgs. So I'm definitely losing.
17/4/2013

I'm still doing the no-eating-before-noon thing, and also throwing in a no-eating-before-dinner day every so often, just for S&Gs. "Every so often", as in, 5 times ever.

Two of those times were Monday and Tuesday this week. Never done it two days back-to-back before. Weighing just before bed both days, I tipped the scales in the high 82.x kgs.

Living on tea, coffee, and Pepsi Max (it's probably going to kill me but I like the stuff) all day, then having a fairly big dinner. Yeah, you get a bit hungry, but it's a different kind of hunger to the normal "I really want to eat some food right now" hunger. It's more of a "I'm going to need to eat some food soon-ish" hunger.

Yesterday evening was a bit of a struggle, but I have to take into consideration that I did a hilly 30km bunch ride before work (instead of breakfast ;-) ) yesterday morning, so I really was operating on an empty tank by late afternoon.

I'm sure I'll weigh a bit more with a normal day's food load on board, so I'm calling it 83.x kg. That's less than last month, so I'm still heading the right way.

I'm succumbing to the temptation of the chocolate machine too many afternoons, drinking a few too many beers, eating a few too many desserts... but still losing weight, albeit slowly.

Still very happy with this weight loss strategy. Short term absolutes (nothing at all... until lunch) are much easier for me than long term relatives (a little bit is okay, but not too much). I don't like stopping after one piece.

Especially with this weird thing of not getting the "want" hungries until after I've started eating for the day.

tim

timber

Postby timber » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:52 pm

barefoot wrote:
barefoot wrote:
Yesterday evening was a bit of a struggle, but I have to take into consideration that I did a hilly 30km bunch ride before work (instead of breakfast ;-) ) yesterday morning, so I really was operating on an empty tank by late afternoon.

I usually ride in early morning but with a glass of Nestle Chocolate for the start , I think it's not good for riding without feeding the body .Then , after riding ,the breakfast comes :)

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:38 pm

timber wrote:
barefoot wrote: Yesterday evening was a bit of a struggle, but I have to take into consideration that I did a hilly 30km bunch ride before work (instead of breakfast ;-) ) yesterday morning, so I really was operating on an empty tank by late afternoon.

I usually ride in early morning but with a glass of Nestle Chocolate for the start , I think it's not good for riding without feeding the body .Then , after riding ,the breakfast comes :)
*shrug*

I'm frequently getting Strava PBs (or at least personal podiums on climbs that I've done tens of times), functioning during the day as close to normal that I can't tell the difference and nobody else notices (on normal no-breakfast ride days... no breakfast-and-no-lunch was pushing it), feeling good, staying healthy, and losing weight.

Not sure what more positive I should be hoping for...

tim

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Pax wrote:
Pax wrote:Failed an attempt to return to cycling and healthier weight last year, going MUCH better this year
Age 53
Start 2013 weight 89kg
Current weight 78 kg
Cycling?//...mainly on the JetBlack trainer (oh god how boring is it on a trainer????????????!!!!!!!!!!), plus some social riding, but aim to get back into the bunches sometime in the next few weekends.

Today = weight lost since 1st Feb 12 Kg
Current weight 77kg

Still mainly on the trainer, no chance of bunch rides for the next couple of weeks due to family commitments, but hopefully will be able to after that :)
Today = weight loss since 1st Feb 13 Kg
Current weight 76kg

Still mainly on the trainer but actually got out on the road last weekend for a bunch ride, which felt great, and hopefully have a 100k+ ride lined up for this weekend.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu May 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Some interesting stories coming through in this thread. The lesson I've taken from most forms of dieting is that it doesn't really matter which option works for you, if you stick at it you'll lose weight. If you *almost* stick to it, you'll *almost* lose weight. I'm simply trying to cut out high sugar foods (used to be a bit of a staple in my diet) and stop snacking after dinner which I find is a killer for weight.

Height:185cms
Heaviest - 105kgs.
Goal weight - 80kgs.
January 1st 2013 - 87kgs
February 1st 2013 - 86kgs
May 1st 2013 - 85.2kgs

Had a good January but lost the plot a bit in feb/march. Towards the middle of April got my act together a bit more. I think I might have been a bit dehydrated 30th April, but I'll check over a few days and see.

Cheers,
Dave

sbr511

Postby sbr511 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 pm

sbr511 wrote: Age: 24
Height:179cms
Heaviest - 122.6kgs.
Goal weight - 85-90kgs.
January 1st 2013 - 118.9kgs
February 1st 2013 - 112.4kgs
March 7th 2013 - 110.8kgs
April 1st 2013 - 109.5kgs
UPDATE!!

May 1st 2013 - 107.3kgs

Getting excited to see 105kgs fairly soon, maybe this month, maybe next, just really enjoying the healthier lifestyle.
Have currently got an Gracilis Strain which has kept me from training too much but still lost fat, which shows diet plays a HUGE role in fat loss.

Total weight loss - 11.6kgs

Keep on losing guys!!!
Avanti Torrent 2
Avanti Cadent 2
KTM 250SXF
Honda CT70
four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri May 03, 2013 8:51 am

A follow up to this post from the 2012 thread:

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Hey all,

I've been trying to get myself in better shape these last few months. I'm a 30yo bloke, 5'10" and of slight build (muscle? What muscle?!). A lazy winter followed by a month in the UK in July (with all the eating and boozing that implies, I blame my mum for the former and my younger brother for the latter!) had me overweight and completely unfit. I weighed myself when I got back from hols, at the beginning of August I was 74.5kg. Am currently 66.7kg, so nearly 8kg lost in 4.5 months which I'm pretty happy about. Saw some pictures of me taken in late July the other day and had to do a double take!

Feeling much better now than then, which is great. I've been trying to get as much riding in as possible (usually 4 days/250ish km per week) and got my fitness back to where it was pre-winter fairly quickly. Gains since then have been slower, but am still improving. I've cycled in one form or another since I was about 13, but had a revelation recently about just how much happier I am in general when I'm riding frequently, so the plan is to base build and hopefully be fit and fast by, say, 35.

Not sure what my target weight is. I've never been "race weight" before, but I'm guessing that would be about 60kg. Probably won't get there though... I need to work on my diet I guess. I work full time and do evening work three nights a week. Add in riding both weekend days and group rides+commute rides on the two weekdays I don't work in the evening, and I'm time poor and knackered, which doesn't lend itself to spending time on cooking. Anybody got tips for the time poor and culinarily inept?

Am also wondering how I'm going to go at Christmas. Intend to still ride through the break, but I haven't been drinking much lately, will do my best not to go too overboard and undo the good work.

One more question for you - how do you control appetite after riding? On group ride+commute days, I do about 50km in the morning (at a pace I find hard). By 9am I've usually eaten my lunch and seem to continue eating at regular intervals until I've had lunch. I can partially explain that by the fact I only have time for two pieces lot toast before I leave the house in the morning, but still...
Well I'm pretty happy. Christmas was not a problem thanks to the Rapha Festive 500. Started the year with the ambitious aim of 12,000km for the year. New bike in Feb made me want to ride more, was up to about 300km per week, then all the crappy rain came and I fell behind. Weight got down to about 64kg and plateaued. Then somebody persuaded me to sign up for the Spring Classics challenge on Strava, and ended up doing 1605km in April. Weight has dropped again due to all the extra work. Weighed myself this morning - 61.4kg. I think I'm done!

Been eating better on rides, so not been quite as ravenous afterwards lately. The extra work in the last month has had a noticeable effect on my fitness, so I'm really happy. Now I've got to go buy some decent clothing for winter, can't afford to go into hibernation mode and undo everything...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue May 14, 2013 9:47 pm

April 4th:
Age 53
Start 2013 weight 89kg
Current weight 78 kg

April 12th :
Pax wrote: Today = weight lost since 1st Feb 12 Kg
Current weight 77kg

Still mainly on the trainer, no chance of bunch rides for the next couple of weeks due to family commitments, but hopefully will be able to after that :)
May 1st:
Pax wrote: Today = weight loss since 1st Feb 13 Kg
Current weight 76kg

Still mainly on the trainer but actually got out on the road last weekend for a bunch ride, which felt great, and hopefully have a 100k+ ride lined up for this weekend.
Today = weight loss since 1st Feb 14kg
Current weight 75kg

Did the 100 and a couple of bunch rides on weekends since then, still on the trainer during the week.

Happy with the steady progress now after the initial rapid weight loss in Feb & March. :D

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 pm

barefoot wrote:
Scales are now usually [1] giving me weights in the mid 84kgs. So I'm definitely losing.
17/4/2013

I'm still doing the no-eating-before-noon thing, and also throwing in a no-eating-before-dinner day every so often, just for S&Gs. "Every so often", as in, 5 times ever.

Two of those times were Monday and Tuesday this week. Never done it two days back-to-back before. Weighing just before bed both days, I tipped the scales in the high 82.x kgs.

Living on tea, coffee, and Pepsi Max (it's probably going to kill me but I like the stuff) all day, then having a fairly big dinner. Yeah, you get a bit hungry, but it's a different kind of hunger to the normal "I really want to eat some food right now" hunger. It's more of a "I'm going to need to eat some food soon-ish" hunger.

I'm sure I'll weigh a bit more with a normal day's food load on board, so I'm calling it 83.x kg. That's less than last month, so I'm still heading the right way.

I'm succumbing to the temptation of the chocolate machine too many afternoons, drinking a few too many beers, eating a few too many desserts... but still losing weight, albeit slowly.

Still very happy with this weight loss strategy. Short term absolutes (nothing at all... until lunch) are much easier for me than long term relatives (a little bit is okay, but not too much). I don't like stopping after one piece.

Especially with this weird thing of not getting the "want" hungries until after I've started eating for the day.

tim
Are you not worried about adrenal burn out from running on all that caffeine mate?

Im 6ft 65k and single digit body fat for over a decade now. I don't drink coffee or tea. Just eat real food. Don't have to eat less if we eat right.
Vegan since 2001.

Dan

BNA Losers Club 2013

Postby Dan » Wed May 22, 2013 8:15 am

I think you're just a bit too rad for this thread, durianrider.

For the sake of transparency, how much of your 'normal' food diet comprises an abnormal quantity of bananas and/or baby purée sachets?

Since you've turned it into a pissing contest, I'm 6'1", and have been about 74kg for the past 18 years. I drink too much beer, eat too much, drink FAR too much coffee, and probably don't eat enough fruit. I'm lucky enough to have a metabolism that supports this (for the moment), and to have a genetic pre-disposition for being slim.

I have nothing but encouragement for everyone who has chosen to share their personal, and perhaps quite challenging, efforts to lose weight. The last thing I'm going to do is critique how they do so. Not being a dietician or nutritionist, I'm unable to comment on the benefits or otherwise of your raw/vegan diet. It appears to work for you, though.

Everyone else - you're doing a fantastic job. Bananas or no bananas.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed May 22, 2013 10:01 am

Now generally hovering in the high 82kgs... depending on hydration etc..
durianrider wrote:
barefoot wrote:I'm still doing the no-eating-before-noon thing, and also throwing in a no-eating-before-dinner day every so often, just for S&Gs. "Every so often", as in, 5 times ever.

Living on tea, coffee, and Pepsi Max (it's probably going to kill me but I like the stuff) all day, then having a fairly big dinner.
Are you not worried about adrenal burn out from running on all that caffeine mate?
No, not at all.

I enjoy my caffeinated beverages, but don't hit them as hard as many people. I usually have two coffees over the course of a morning, and that's about it. Occasionally three. Fizzy caffeine water is a "sometimes food".

I drink a fair bit of tea, but anecdotally, I can't believe it has any significant amount of caffeine in it. It doesn't wake me up. It doesn't keep me awake. It doesn't make me pee like coffee does. I drink tea for hydration.

Plenty of people drink 5+ coffees a day, to say nothing of extreme cases like recently reported high profile people who routinely chug 50 coffees a day. I don't consider my 2-cup caffeine habit to be significant at all.
Im 6ft 65k and single digit body fat for over a decade now. I don't drink coffee or tea. Just eat real food. Don't have to eat less if we eat right.
So you keep telling us.

You seem to have an extraordinarily obsessive relationship with food. Have you considered talking to a psychologist about it?

tim

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon May 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Running on 300mg + of caffeine a day just so you can avoid eating for another few hours. Not sure I would consider that a healthy habit. Just because other people do it doesnt make it healthy either. My mate says that about 'smoking only a packet a day'..he likes to point out others smoke more and he is in 'perfect health mate!'.

Tim, you seem to have an extraordinarily obsessive relationship with food. Have you considered talking to a psychologist about it?

178 and 82kg. As a cyclist you could easily drop another 20kg and would see a massive boost in your watts per kg. Do you train with a power meter? What is your current 5min watts per kg. Im around 6.18 w/kg on a good day. Thats non caffeine assisted btw.
Vegan since 2001.

cbalfe

Postby cbalfe » Mon May 27, 2013 8:59 pm

cbalfe wrote: Hi Guys,

Just recently joined this forum but I have been a lurker for quite a while 

I thought I might share my weight loss that I have been undergoing over the last 10 months or so, which really kicked into gear in February this year when I purchased my first bike a Trek 3500.

Height: 182cm

Start Weight: 178.2kg (October 2011)
Start pictures... (yeah ouch)

Current Weight: 123.9kg
Current Pictures:

Average daily distance, ~20km but I do change the route quite often and some of that is along MTB trails, I am looking froward to increasing that some more as I am in the process of purchasing a new bike now.

Cheers,
Chris.
Hey all, I thought I would give you all an update on how I have been tracking.

As of May 2013 I am at my lowest weight since my early teens, sitting at 94.6kg.

I'm feeling pretty damn chuffed about it, so over an total of just over 18 months I have lost 83.6kg which is still incredible for me looking back.

But i a lot of it to biking, my solid first trek 3500 which I actually rode into the ground.. And now my absolutely fantastic giant trance x29er.

The true thing I am more happy about than he weight loss is just the massive boost in confidence I've managed to snag myself a beautiful girl just to add icing on the cake :)

To anyone out there thinking of doing it get started now, not tomorrow or later today, now. it's the little decisions that add up and work for you in long run.

Chris.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon May 27, 2013 9:04 pm

brett.hooker wrote:42 years old
173 cm
Starting at 99.9 kg :-)
Goal for year is to get to 89...
I lost 18kg in 2012...
Ultimate goal is 80 kg...
On Saturday just gone, I weighed in at 88.9 kg... Year's goal achieved... Or should I say, year's goal is now reset...

I am now shooting for 78kg as the year goal and my ultimate goal...

Reward to myself for achieving that (and 10,000km cycling) this year, in addition to "my health" will be a shiny new Pinarello...

Bring it on...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon May 27, 2013 9:18 pm

durianrider wrote:Running on 300mg + of caffeine a day just so you can avoid eating for another few hours.
Uh... I've been drinking coffee in moderation for about 20 years.
I've been breaking the fast at lunchtime for about 4 months, drinking about the same amount of coffee.

Your arrow of causality needs some attention.
Tim, you seem to have an extraordinarily obsessive relationship with food. Have you considered talking to a psychologist about it?
:roll:

Awesome rebuttal. Did you think of that one by yourself?

You might have missed somewhere up above where I mentioned that this not-eating-until-lunch thing has been the simplest, most mind-bogglingly easy way I've found to NOT get hungry in the morning, and NOT be thinking about food all the time.

Extraordinarily obsessive relationship that involves not thinking about food? Interesting logic.
178 and 82kg. As a cyclist you could easily drop another 20kg and would see a massive boost in your watts per kg.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. Did you notice that we're posting in a thread about weight loss?
Do you train with a power meter?
I don't train at all. I just ride a bike. For recreation, for transport, for amusement and entertainment.
What is your current 5min watts per kg.
Wouldn't have a clue. I know I'm faster up hills now than I was when I was 5kg heavier, about 5 months ago. Cool, huh?
Im around 6.18 w/kg on a good day. Thats non caffeine assisted btw.
Would you like a medal for that?

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon May 27, 2013 9:50 pm

cbalfe wrote:
Hey all, I thought I would give you all an update on how I have been tracking.

As of May 2013 I am at my lowest weight since my early teens, sitting at 94.6kg.

I'm feeling pretty damn chuffed about it, so over an total of just over 18 months I have lost 83.6kg which is still incredible for me looking back.

But i a lot of it to biking, my solid first trek 3500 which I actually rode into the ground.. And now my absolutely fantastic giant trance x29er.

The true thing I am more happy about than he weight loss is just the massive boost in confidence I've managed to snag myself a beautiful girl just to add icing on the cake :)

To anyone out there thinking of doing it get started now, not tomorrow or later today, now. it's the little decisions that add up and work for you in long run.

Chris.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Inspirational Chris. :D

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Pax wrote:
cbalfe wrote:I'm feeling pretty damn chuffed about it, so over an total of just over 18 months I have lost 83.6kg which is still incredible for me looking back.
+1

Awesome work. Absolutely life-changing, and quite possibly life-saving.

tim

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 am

barefoot wrote:
durianrider wrote:Tim, you seem to have an extraordinarily obsessive relationship with food. Have you considered talking to a psychologist about it?
PMSL :lol:
durianrider wrote:Im around 6.18 w/kg on a good day. Thats non caffeine assisted btw.
barefoot wrote:Would you like a medal for that?
Na, just another acolyte. You need to understand that all this seemingly pointless posting is actually a massive marketing campaign. He sells nutrition counselling believe it or not! :shock:
<removed by request>

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 28, 2013 6:53 pm

Ahhh.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

newie

Postby newie » Wed May 29, 2013 5:55 pm

barefoot wrote:
Pax wrote:
cbalfe wrote:I'm feeling pretty damn chuffed about it, so over an total of just over 18 months I have lost 83.6kg which is still incredible for me looking back.
+1

Awesome work. Absolutely life-changing, and quite possibly life-saving.

tim
+2
That's awesome work Chris. Although I am not aiming for weight loss myself, I like to check in this thread every now and then anyway because stories such as yours brighten my day - it is so nice to read about someone turning their life around and being happier for it. Absolutely inspirational.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 am

cbalfe wrote:As of May 2013 I am at my lowest weight since my early teens, sitting at 94.6kg.

You should be feeling pretty damn chuffed because that is AWESOME! 83.6kg is amazing. You "lost" a whole person! :shock:
<removed by request>

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Thu May 30, 2013 1:32 pm

cbalfe wrote:As of May 2013 I am at my lowest weight since my early teens, sitting at 94.6kg.

Awesome effort Chris! nice job snagging a beautiful girl too. :wink:
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Thu May 30, 2013 3:44 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
barefoot wrote:
durianrider wrote:Tim, you seem to have an extraordinarily obsessive relationship with food. Have you considered talking to a psychologist about it?
PMSL :lol:
durianrider wrote:Im around 6.18 w/kg on a good day. Thats non caffeine assisted btw.
barefoot wrote:Would you like a medal for that?
Na, just another acolyte. You need to understand that all this seemingly pointless posting is actually a massive marketing campaign. He sells nutrition counselling believe it or not! :shock:
How does one register for my 'nutritional counselling'? I thought 'I was one of the highest paid youtubers in Australia'. Im learning more about myself every day! ;)
Vegan since 2001.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu May 30, 2013 4:56 pm

durianrider wrote:How does one register for my 'nutritional counselling'? I thought 'I was one of the highest paid youtubers in Australia'. Im learning more about myself every day! ;)
Dunno. You tell me. Since I have no interest in what you have to say, I've never looked into it.

"one of the highest paid youtubers in Australia" hey? So, how did you buy bananas while your youtube account was shut down? :wink:
<removed by request>