A really interesting speech on obesity

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
r2160

A really interesting speech on obesity

Postby r2160 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:43 am

HI all

Been looking at what I eat and why I dont seem to be losing any weight, why I dont recover very well etc.

I recently read a book called "Sweet Poison" which was quite enlightening. However, a guy at work showed me this.

It is really interesting!!! Bit of a watch but I think well worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

sogood

Re: A really interesting speech on obesity

Postby sogood » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:57 am

r2160 wrote:Been looking at what I eat and why I dont seem to be losing any weight, why I dont recover very well etc.
Intellectualising and sensationalising to the Nth degree are mere excuses to those who "can't lose weight". Eat less "rubbish food", eat healthy, exercise more and you are guaranteed to lose weight. Yes, there'll be an initial period where one will feel different and uncomfortable, but weight loss will ensue. Excuses will just fog one's objective.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Good video, thanks for posting

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Something similar about carbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mIvj6HmHBg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Sugar is a carb
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:42 pm

And from the other side....

http://durianrider.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW, my non-cycling PT, whose main thing is body building (which I am not really interested in, for it's own sake anyway) thinks carbs = bad. However, when I have eaten her level of carbs I have found myself close to bonking on long distance rides (~200km). Meh... who knows.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Clearly you didn't watch the whole video with some of those opinions. He didn't say carbs were bad.

Watch the whole thing.

Cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 pm

wombatK wrote:Sugar is a carb
I suppose that's why it's similar. :)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:17 pm

And in "news"...

Linky.

In this day and age, the underlying cause of obesity is pretty well known - yet not newsworthy. Yet it's newsworthy that the scientists understanding more about how the body goes into low-metabolism mode?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm

twizzle wrote:And in "news"...

Linky.

In this day and age, the underlying cause of obesity is pretty well known - yet not newsworthy. Yet it's newsworthy that the scientists understanding more about how the body goes into low-metabolism mode?
Unfortunately, some people will hear part of this report and see it as justification for why they can't lose weight.

The article/research is really a critique of fad or crash diets. What it doesn't explain is weather a gradual decrease in calorie
intake and sustained increase in exercise can defeat the neuro-peptides activity. If the neuro-peptides action is
an evolutionary response to deal with starvation due to sudden events (flood, plague etc.,.), then it might make
sense that gradual changes would not be defeated by it.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 pm

African famine victims have proven that with reduced food intake, even without exercise, they will not grow fat. Trust me on this. ;)

The only reason why a person can't lose weight is because of a lack of will.
Last edited by sogood on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 pm

#1 reason for obese people having a hard time losing weight is that exercising while obese i hardwork, So it is easier not too and keep the fork in hand.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Mrfenejeans wrote:#1 reason for obese people having a hard time losing weight is that exercising while obese i hardwork, So it is easier not too and keep the fork in hand.
But they can also markedly reduce their intake. That often very hard for reason of habit and lack of will.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 pm

True

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 am

Alec Balwin has a podcast called "Here's the Thing" He did a very good interview with Lustig a while back, listen online here. A half hour well spent.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:04 am

sogood wrote:African famine victims have proven that with reduced food intake, even without exercise, they will not grow fat. Trust me on this. ;)

The only reason why a person can't lose weight is because of a lack of will.
So, which do they lose first sogood - muscle or fat? And when they stop the reduced calorie intake, what happens?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:24 am

twizzle wrote:So, which do they lose first sogood - muscle or fat? And when they stop the reduced calorie intake, what happens?
Irrelevant. Obesity kills, weaklings don't. The priority is just to lose weight first and bring it under control. Muscle can be rebuilt at a later date, as seen through many cancer survivors - One prominent cyclist comes to mind too. ;)

What happens when famine victims stop their famine level caloric intake? Well, they go back to a healthy caloric intake that's suited to their level of activities. Still no excess fat build up. A gauge on "healthy caloric intake" is what citizens of developed countries lack, one that's typically way over the top.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:03 am

A rather simplistic approach given the wealth of information now available re. metabolism, hormones, food quality, studies on the effects of dieting etc. etc.

Not that I don't disagree with you that people use every excuse under the sun not to lose weight, but the mantra of "eat less, exercise more" is completely useless at getting people to change, and unlikely to succeed. Given that calories appears to be hopeless measure of "fuel value", and that "dieting" is statistically a waste of time, people need more concrete advice than "eat less" and "you are weak willed".

Everyone is different - genetics, their ability to extract glucose from food, their hormone responses to food intake. "Dieting" is not the solution.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:15 am

twizzle wrote:A rather simplistic approach given the wealth of information now available re. metabolism, hormones, food quality, studies on the effects of dieting etc. etc.

Not that I don't disagree with you that people use every excuse under the sun not to lose weight, but the mantra of "eat less, exercise more" is completely useless at getting people to change, and unlikely to succeed. Given that calories appears to be hopeless measure of "fuel value", and that "dieting" is statistically a waste of time, people need more concrete advice than "eat less" and "you are weak willed".

Everyone is different - genetics, their ability to extract glucose from food, their hormone responses to food intake. "Dieting" is not the solution.
KISS principle and honesty are good. Whether one can take the truth is a separate question.

You are absolutely right, the plethora of diets, diet helps, diet theory are there to "entertain", to educate and to motivate, all psychological therapy than direct weight loss therapy. At the end of the day, they all fall back to the common pathway of calories in vs calories out.

Blowing off all that smoke, it truly all comes down to that "weak will". A 1st world problem of "life is too good".

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 am

sogood wrote:
Blowing off all that smoke, it truly all comes down to that "weak will". A 1st world problem of "life is too good".
Do you believe that first-world humans are losing their strong will? Considering that obesity has increased along with the production of foods that are engineered to be irresistible I am reluctant to blame obese persons entirely.

""Junk food 'as addictive as heroin and smoking'..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... oking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 am

sogood wrote:Blowing off all that smoke, it truly all comes down to that "weak will". A 1st world problem of "life is too good".
Genetics is a large player too. I saw a study on TV where they got people from different backgrounds and made all deliberately overeat. They monitored their weight and fat content. All put on more fat except an Asian man who just put on more muscle so his metabolism increased to match his intake.

It's not an even playing field.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 am

Nobody wrote:Genetics is a large player too...
It's not an even playing field.
True, but just have to eat even less for those who have the not-so-lucky genes. It's not an excuse.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am

ball bearing wrote:Do you believe that first-world humans are losing their strong will? Considering that obesity has increased along with the production of foods that are engineered to be irresistible I am reluctant to blame obese persons entirely.
It takes an active step of the individual to put that food into ones' mouth. Not too different to quitting smoking. Some can from day 1 and others can't, same for heroin addicts. That's life and what will is.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:01 pm

sogood wrote:True, but just have to eat even less for those who have the not-so-lucky genes. It's not an excuse.
I didn't say it was an excuse. But then I didn't say:
sogood wrote:The only reason why a person can't lose weight is because of a lack of will.
Since I know how we get with "discussions", this will be my last post on this thread so you can have the last word. :P

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 pm

sogood wrote:
ball bearing wrote:Do you believe that first-world humans are losing their strong will? Considering that obesity has increased along with the production of foods that are engineered to be irresistible I am reluctant to blame obese persons entirely.
It takes an active step of the individual to put that food into ones' mouth. Not too different to quitting smoking. Some can from day 1 and others can't, same for heroin addicts. That's life and what will is.
When parents feed their children greasy, sugar laden foods from their infancy there is not a lot of free-will going around. By the time they are three years-old they are hooked for life - unless they are extraordinary perceptive.