A really interesting speech on obesity

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: A really interesting speech on obesity

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:54 pm

sogood wrote:It all comes down to how well one can endure that hunger pain. That takes will power! :wink:
Or if you eat the right food, not being hungry. I find if I have a decent (home made) lunch I am not hungry until dinner. I used to be uncontrollably hungry when I got home from work and I would eat anything in the fridge to make that feeling go away. Before Christmas, when I was eating really clean, I would eat lunch, ride home, feel sort of hungry but not be ready to eat yet, go for a run, walk to the shops, buy food and cook dinner from scratch and still not pick until the food was ready. Didn't take any will power at all because I didn't have painful hunger.

I was reading an interesting article this morning: http://toyourhealthnutrition.blogspot.c ... ty-by.html. I can absolutely identify with this part: "They feel shaky, head-achy, weak, fatigue, get abdominal cramps or spasms and other symptoms which they consider manifestations of hunger symptoms because they are relieved by eating." I used to get that shaky and weak feeling too. However, I don't agree with the authors conclusion that you must move to a plant based diet to get rid of this. I was eating dairy as well as plant based when I got rid of mine. I imagine if you ate quality meat it would work as well but since I am vegetarian I am not qualified to comment on that aspect.
<removed by request>

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:54 pm

I have now pretty much cut out carbs from my diet bar some vegetables and the odd handful of raspberries, my diet now consists of meat, eggs and some dairy and salads. I have dropped to my lowest weight since i can recall at 61kg and have not had any feeling of hunger pains since, I am never lightheaded and have never been grumpy due to lack of food.

It has taken me about 6 weeks to reduce my carb intake and certainly had some withdrawal symptoms from sugar initially, i can ride 100km just as easily as i could before and i managed 85km (very hilly 3 hour) ride on the weekend with just 20g protein and 4grams of carbs on board during that 3hour, and no carbs in the preceding 24hours! then dug out a garden path in the afternoon. Was my weight as issue before? No, but i certainly feel a lot better now with low carbs and NO sugar! :D

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:24 pm

I'd bet my right eye if the overwhelming majority of obese people were only allowed to eat unprocessed home prepared foods, then they'd lose weight and keep it off.
Look at any photo of an Australian crowd pre 1970, and you'll note the distinct lack of obesity.

No doubt, convenient access to high energy, low nutrient dense foods has been THE major contributor to obesity.

Yes, we might have more autoimmune disease and endocrine disturbance these days, but why not control what you can control before seeking more complex 'excuses' for not exercising control.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Anyone notice the guy giving the speech on obesity is near obese himself?? LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU4Y-Gw7CWo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How come Robert Lustig is double the size of ALL the high carb low fat authors like Dr Esselstyn, Dr Barnard, Dr McDougall etc?

How come ALL the nations that live on high carb low fat diets (<10% of total calories coming from fat) are slim and when they load up on the animal products they blow right up like Dr Lustig and that Gillepsie guy?

I wrote to Gary Taubes and Robert Lustig showing them a photo of my family genetics and my abs and my weekly high carb shopping load but they never got back to me. Too busy making $ writing 'health books' telling people good things about their bad habits I guess.

'fruit and steamed rice?? nah! makes you obese! live on bacon and cream cheese with fried steak instead!'. - Gary Taubes.

Here is the bitter truth. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ6jjCh6rbM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by durianrider on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Low carb vs High Carb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zVxA6yipv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know about you but I enjoy being able to smash up climbs cos Im single digit body fat regardless of my training volume.

80% is diet
20% is training..
Vegan since 2001.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Sample size of one is pretty meaningless.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 pm

durianrider wrote: How come ALL the nations that live on high carb low fat diets (<10% of total calories coming from fat) are slim and when they load up on the animal products they blow right up like Dr Lustig and that Gillepsie guy?
You can't be serious? Western countries didn't become fat until we started eating processed carbs and low fat products... Before that people ate animal products and were not obese.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:55 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
durianrider wrote: How come ALL the nations that live on high carb low fat diets (<10% of total calories coming from fat) are slim and when they load up on the animal products they blow right up like Dr Lustig and that Gillepsie guy?
You can't be serious? Western countries didn't become fat until we started eating processed carbs and low fat products... Before that people ate animal products and were not obese.
You can't be serious? Kings and Queens in those famous paintings were rail thin? They didnt have processed or non organic foods? They ate the most animal products out of any demographic they lived amongst yet suffered from obesity, heart disease, gout, diabetes etc.

Gimme 10 mins in Rundle Mall and I can get you a full cast for King Henry the VIII.

Watch the award winning documentary 'Forks Over Knives'. Obesity, diabetes, stroke, cancer heart disease rates INCREASE as animal product intake increases. I mean the science and logic is there for anyone with the eyes open to see it IMHO.
Vegan since 2001.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 pm

How come Mark Sisson is so buff? He eats meat, so by your theory he should be a porker.

As mentioned above, a sample size of one is meaningless.

The people of Okinawa have traditionally had some of the highest life expectancies in the world and yet they eat port and lard... http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com.au ... -pork.html

I am a vegetarian so I'm not here to promote meat eating. On the other hand, I think it is ridiculous to say that eating meat is what is making people fat. Personally, I think that white flour and sugar are the biggest culprits but an excess calorie consumption overall is requirement for weight gain.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Uh oh. It looks like as the Okinawans are adopting western foods their life expectency is dropping and they are getting fat. Too bad for them, they should have stuck to their tradtional diet. Looking at the research, the biggest change was a move from sweet potatoes to rice as their staple. They are also eating a lot more fat (type not specified) and western fast food. Most important overall is that the tradtional diet was low in calories but high in nutrition but, since increasing caloric intake, obesity rates have increased. Changes are: less nutritionally dense foods, more low nutritional density carbohydrates, more fat, more processed foods (spam, flour, sugar), more calories overall. I think that pretty much sums up why populations get fat.

reference: Todoriki H, Willcox DC, Willcox BJ: The effects of post-war dietary change on longevity and health in Okinawa. Oki J Amer Studies 1: 55– 64, 2004.
<removed by request>

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:10 pm

durianrider wrote:You can't be serious? Kings and Queens in those famous paintings were rail thin? .
Once again, sample size?

Genetic background, they didn't eat the same diet as everyone else, blah, blah, blah.

Sent from my iThingy...

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:13 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:How come Mark Sisson is so buff? He eats meat, so by your theory he should be a porker.

The people of Okinawa have traditionally had some of the highest life expectancies in the world and yet they eat port and lard... http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com.au ... -pork.html

I am a vegetarian so I'm not here to promote meat eating. On the other hand, I think it is ridiculous to say that eating meat is what is making people fat. Personally, I think that white flour and sugar are the biggest culprits but an excess calorie consumption overall is requirement for weight gain.
Mark Sisson promotes athletes use Testosterone and HGH in 'theraputic doses'. He is an ex pro athlete and credits his 'leaness' to 'calorie control among other things + regular fasting'. Ive done a fair few vids on Mark Sisson... You are right though but 99% of his colleagues selling the same fad diet are overweight/obese themselves like Jimmy Moore whom I did an interview with when I was in NYC last. Nice guy and I hope he gets the health message before he dies from a heart attack. :cry:

If white sugars make people fat how come those in prison in Asia that literally live on white rice, white flour and white sugar 4x a day are so thin? They aint getting starved as most of these prisons are policed by the UN regarding human rights. The prisoners look the same as the people planting/corn rice in the fields. Wouldnt exactly call that high intensity exercise! ;)

How come when I got hit by a bus a few years back and couldnt train much anymore I still kept single digit body fat levels? How come Ive had cyclist mates that literally DOUBLED their bodyweight after a similar injury?

NOTHING to do with diet though NOTHING AT ALL! 8)

Steamed rice and fruit = obesity.
Bacon and eggs = ripped like Mark Sisson on 2 week intermittent fast cycle among 'other things'.

As for the Okinawins. They ate most of their calories from carbohydrates with LESS than 1% of their calories coming from fish, pork or lard LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BopvnXsqV0k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Please stick with scientific evidence vs making up stories so no more false nutritional dogma is spread around. 8)
Vegan since 2001.

vander

Postby vander » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:21 pm

sogood wrote: Irrelevant. Obesity kills, weaklings don't.
Never worked in a hospital have you.

vander

Postby vander » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 pm

durianrider wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:How come Mark Sisson is so buff? He eats meat, so by your theory he should be a porker.

Mark Sisson promotes athletes use Testosterone and HGH in 'theraputic doses'. He is an ex pro athlete and credits his 'leaness' to 'calorie control among other things + regular fasting'. Ive done a fair few vids on Mark Sisson... You are right though but 99% of his colleagues selling the same fad diet are overweight/obese themselves like Jimmy Moore whom I did an interview with when I was in NYC last. Nice guy and I hope he gets the health message before he dies from a heart attack. :cry:

If white sugars make people fat how come those in prison in Asia that literally live on white rice, white flour and white sugar 4x a day are so thin? They aint getting starved as most of these prisons are policed by the UN regarding human rights. The prisoners look the same as the people planting/corn rice in the fields. Wouldnt exactly call that high intensity exercise! ;)

How come when I got hit by a bus a few years back and couldnt train much anymore I still kept single digit body fat levels? How come Ive had cyclist mates that literally DOUBLED their bodyweight after a similar injury?

Bacon and eggs = ripped like Mark Sisson on 2 week intermittent fast cycle among 'other things'.

As for the Okinawins. They ate most of their calories from carbohydrates with LESS than 1% of their calories coming from fish, pork or lard LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BopvnXsqV0k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Please stick with scientific evidence vs making up stories so no more false nutritional dogma is spread around. 8)
I have seen people with great results from the opposite of your high carb diet being almost 100% protein and fat. Infact in most people it works better with a lot of people then a high carb diet as it limits blood sugar level variations.

After saying this it is simply. A balance 40/40/20 diet (protein/carbs/fat) is the most effective. Slowly drop your calories as you can handle it hunger wise and eat unprocessed real foods and a good mix with plenty of veges. These are the most healthy diets, the drastic diets work for some but is not for all.

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Mark Sisson limits his protein intake to 150g a day doesnt he! he has a high omega 3 fat intake (which is proven to be good for you) and a low omega 6 intake. overeating sugar and processed wheat makes you fat that has been proven.

To say that people in british royalty were fat because they ate fat and meat is just a bit silly, they ate to massive excess like no one would today, eating till they vomited then eating more, probably massive amounts of protein (more that 150g) with little exercise, i am sure the general population were not obese and surely they ate fats proteins and vegetables with no sugar and no processed wheat or rice.

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 am

durianrider wrote: How come when I got hit by a bus a few years back and couldnt train much anymore I still kept single digit body fat levels? How come Ive had cyclist mates that literally DOUBLED their bodyweight after a similar injury?
Obviously you handle carbs well. Others don't. Gary Taubes, Steven Phinney and Jeff Volek all state that some people can live high carb, stay thin and it is fine. Some people cant. Phinney and Volek compare it to Gluten or lactose intolerance, some people are carb intolerant.

Makes sense to me, one diet does not work for everyone, we are all different genetically and we need to work out what works for us.

Personally I have not commited either way. Eating a standard western diet does not work for me, I am thinking of trying a low carb approach to see if it works for ME.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 pm

iaintas wrote:Mark Sisson limits his protein intake to 150g a day doesnt he! he has a high omega 3 fat intake (which is proven to be good for you) and a low omega 6 intake. overeating sugar and processed wheat makes you fat that has been proven.

To say that people in british royalty were fat because they ate fat and meat is just a bit silly, they ate to massive excess like no one would today, eating till they vomited then eating more, probably massive amounts of protein (more that 150g) with little exercise, i am sure the general population were not obese and surely they ate fats proteins and vegetables with no sugar and no processed wheat or rice.
# So where does Mark Sisson get his cals form then? 150g of protein equals 600cals at 4cals per gram of protein. For his bodyweight and activity level he would need at least 4000cals a day. 600cals of 4000cals is around 15% of cals coming from protein. Mark Sisson claims his diet is 80% calories coming from fat. So that means he only gets around 5% of cals from carbs aka 50g of carbs a day. The remaining 3200cals coming from fat looks like 355g of fat per day. That means he has to literally drink around 2 cups of olive oil a day to get his fat cals up and keep his protein cals down.

# Royalty ate till they vomited? Then that means they would be skinny as when you vomit your meals up then you don't get all the calories from them do you? What did society live in ye olde times? Wheat, potatoes, fruits aka CARBOHYDRATE foods. Carbohydrate foods were cheaper back then and still are today. Poor people are thin cos they live on rice, corn, barley etc.

Hope that makes sense.
1. Sisson's maths don't add up. He has to drink 2 cups of olive oil a day for his caloric equations to balance.
2. Royalty dined on the fat and protein rich animal products the poor yet thin and slim carb munchers couldnt afford.
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Toolish wrote:
durianrider wrote: How come when I got hit by a bus a few years back and couldnt train much anymore I still kept single digit body fat levels? How come Ive had cyclist mates that literally DOUBLED their bodyweight after a similar injury?
Obviously you handle carbs well. Others don't. Gary Taubes, Steven Phinney and Jeff Volek all state that some people can live high carb, stay thin and it is fine. Some people cant. Phinney and Volek compare it to Gluten or lactose intolerance, some people are carb intolerant.

Makes sense to me, one diet does not work for everyone, we are all different genetically and we need to work out what works for us.

Personally I have not commited either way. Eating a standard western diet does not work for me, I am thinking of trying a low carb approach to see if it works for ME.
EVERYBODY handles carbs well my friend. You telling me if you moved to Thailand and didnt ride for 5 years but did basic errands around the village and lived on NOTHING but water, white rice, baked potatoes, fresh fruits and vegetables you would become obese?

Are you telling me that I have unique genetics in my family and that my Mum is obese due to carbs she hardly eats vs the animal products she consumes 'to get enough protein and brain fats' lol!

Come on man.

Watch this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zVxA6yipv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:22 pm

vander wrote:
durianrider wrote:

I have seen people with great results from the opposite of your high carb diet being almost 100% protein and fat. Infact in most people it works better with a lot of people then a high carb diet as it limits blood sugar level variations.

After saying this it is simply. A balance 40/40/20 diet (protein/carbs/fat) is the most effective. Slowly drop your calories as you can handle it hunger wise and eat unprocessed real foods and a good mix with plenty of veges. These are the most healthy diets, the drastic diets work for some but is not for all.
100% protein and fat diet eh? Like Dr Atkins diet? He died with heart disease and was 258lb of obesity. http://www.atkinsdietalert.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How come the nations that live on high carb low fat low protein are the slimmest on earth? Then when they move to the west and load up on the meat and dairy they blow out? How come western prisoners in Asian Jails lose weight when fed the traditional Asian meals based on majority of calories from carbs? They aint starving as the UN has strict starvation human rights protocol for all prisons to follow. I visited the Bangkok Hilton once with a mate during open hours and talked with some western prisoners doing life for drug smuggling. Both said they had lost a 'CR*P LOAD!' of weight lol! Both admitted to not being starved either.

Sorry but the 'carbs make you fat theory' is only a myth low carb authors use to sell product to noobs that want to hear good things about their bad habits...

As for blood sugar variations anyone serious about avoiding diabetes should read Dr Barnards book on reversing and preventing type 2 diabetes. http://pcrm.org/shop/byNealBarnard/dr-b ... g-diabetes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barry Sears is overweight himself. So much for the 'balanced 40/20/20' approach. http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_protein_diets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vegan since 2001.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:55 pm

durianrider wrote:

Your point is that eating meat will make you fat. My point is that Sisson eats meat and is not fat. I don't endorse his lifestyle or "fad diet" becuase he sells a bunch of supplements to make up for poor nutrition. Agreed that most of his cronies are fat. So what? I know heaps of fat vegetarians too. Did eating vegetables make them fat? I don't think so but it wasn't meat either.
durianrider wrote:If white sugars make people fat how come those in prison in Asia that literally live on white rice, white flour and white sugar 4x a day are so thin? They aint getting starved as most of these prisons are policed by the UN regarding human rights. The prisoners look the same as the people planting/corn rice in the fields. Wouldnt exactly call that high intensity exercise! ;)
Calorie control? Where is your scientific evidence or is this a made up story?
durianrider wrote:Steamed rice and fruit = obesity
Not sure where you pulled this one from. I have not said anything against rice or fruit. You better check your sources before you spread around any more false nutritional dogma. :wink:
durianrider wrote:* Please stick with scientific evidence vs making up stories so no more false nutritional dogma is spread around. 8)
You show my yours and I will show you mine :wink:

And sorry, what dogma am I spreading around? You will need to tell me because I don't know.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 pm

durianrider wrote:As for the Okinawins. They ate most of their calories from carbohydrates with LESS than 1% of their calories coming from fish, pork or lard LOL!

If you say so. The research (i.e. scientific evidence) suggests that 85% of calories came from carbohydratesw with the rest from protein, fat and saturated fat. So sure where you got your 1% from. LOL!

http://www.jacn.org/content/28/4_Supplement_1/500S.long
<removed by request>

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:34 pm

vander wrote:
sogood wrote: Irrelevant. Obesity kills, weaklings don't.
Never worked in a hospital have you.
You can't be further from the truth! LOL
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:46 pm

I think there is a lot of misinformation being spread around about fruit. I read over and over that fruit is fattening, which I don't accept. People don't get fat eating bananas.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com.a ... ening.html
Eating fruit does not contribute to fat gain in most people, but instead probably favors leanness. Fruit is a whole food with a low energy density and a moderate palatability and reward value.
However, refined sugars are not so friendly.
Sugar can be fattening in certain contexts, specifically if it is added to foods and beverages to increase their palatability, reward value and energy density.
In excess, refined sugar can cause body ... the sugar.

I liked how the author used actual scientific research to support his arguments instead of just making up stories. Also, he is not fat :wink:

<removed by request>

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:50 pm

durianrider wrote:150g of protein equals 600cals at 4cals per gram of protein.
Except it isn't - only approx 55% of the consumed protein calories becomes available as glucose vs. ~ 70% for starch calories. A calorie is not a meaningful measure of energy value.
durianrider wrote:EVERYBODY handles carbs well my friend.
*sigh* A very arrogant and ignorant position. By "everybody", you mean "the average person"? 80% of the population?

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:37 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
durianrider wrote:As for the Okinawins. They ate most of their calories from carbohydrates with LESS than 1% of their calories coming from fish, pork or lard LOL!

If you say so. The research (i.e. scientific evidence) suggests that 85% of calories came from carbohydratesw with the rest from protein, fat and saturated fat. So sure where you got your 1% from. LOL!

http://www.jacn.org/content/28/4_Supplement_1/500S.long
I guess this is why Im a professional and you aint. ;) 1% of calories coming from animal products. Remember, plants DO contain fat and protein. So when you say that you can only get fat and protein from animal products you highlight your lack of basic human nutritional understanding Causal Cyclist.

So Im still correct. 1% approx of the Okinawins calories comes from animal products. Most plant foods are between 5-10% of calories coming from protein and fats hence why the Okinawins in their ancient traditional near vegan diet ate the healthy 85/10/5 ratios. Approx 85% of calories coming from carbs, 10% of cals from fat, 5% from protein and around 1% coming from animal products.

So much for the claims that 'Okinawins LIVED on lard and pork and were as lean as you Durianrider!'. :wink:

So basically if you want single digit body fat then make sure your diet has single digit % of calories coming from fat. When the diet is focused on WHOLE carbohydrate sources like fruits, veg, grains, tubers then AUTOMATICALLY you will get enough essential amino acids and fatty acids. The reason I have Tour De France body fat levels is due to my high carb low fat low protein intake over the last 12 years.
Vegan since 2001.