Broken Clavicle (collar bone)

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
wilkojunior

Re: Broken Clavicle (collar bone)

Postby wilkojunior » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Not sure if this still going, but I fractured/broke (well shattered) my clavicle/collar bone at the distal (shoulder) end at the start of Feb.

The orthopaedic doctor (junior) in ED told me that they usually see how they go (start to heal) for a couple of weeks then review it and decide what to do after the review (eg leave it or surgical repair), which in my view and that of my partner and another good friend (we're all in health care) wasn't the best way forward given my work and the fact it wasn't a clean break.

Further review from a consultant had me in theatre a few days later for what's called an open reduction internal fixation (ORIF). Which resulted in 12 pins and a plate to put the clavicle back together. I also had a Supplementary Button Coracoclavicular Fixation (or "anchor") done, which pretty much pulls the clavicle down by using the coracoid process as an anchor by means of a wire of some discription and attaching the the plate.

Like anything though, management will be dependent on your situation and injury and isn't without its risks.

I'm at the 4 month mark now and range of motion is about 95-98% and that's probably as good as it will get, strength is pretty much back to normal. The only things I find difficult are leaning on it for too long, I've had a few aches on longer rides and its gets achy of I lean on it in bed.

Recovery itself was 4 weeks of hydro in the pool 2 weeks after surgery then a couple of weeks of stretch band strength work after that.

I avoided the trainer until the surgical would had healed (bandage off) just to avoid infection with sweat etc, but that was a personal choice and I had no need to be back on the bike ASAP like most professionals do, my recovery was focused on getting the clavicle back to normal so I could return to work duites as the bike is a hobbie and I need to pay the bills.

Hope this helps.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:15 pm

wilkojunior wrote:Not sure if this still going, but I fractured/broke (well shattered) my clavicle/collar bone at the distal (shoulder) end at the start of Feb.

The orthopaedic doctor (junior) in ED told me that they usually see how they go (start to heal) for a couple of weeks then review it and decide what to do after the review (eg leave it or surgical repair), which in my view and that of my partner and another good friend (we're all in health care) wasn't the best way forward given my work and the fact it wasn't a clean break.

Further review from a consultant had me in theatre a few days later for what's called an open reduction internal fixation (ORIF). Which resulted in 12 pins and a plate to put the clavicle back together. I also had a Supplementary Button Coracoclavicular Fixation (or "anchor") done, which pretty much pulls the clavicle down by using the coracoid process as an anchor by means of a wire of some discription and attaching the the plate.

Like anything though, management will be dependent on your situation and injury and isn't without its risks.

I'm at the 4 month mark now and range of motion is about 95-98% and that's probably as good as it will get, strength is pretty much back to normal. The only things I find difficult are leaning on it for too long, I've had a few aches on longer rides and its gets achy of I lean on it in bed.

Recovery itself was 4 weeks of hydro in the pool 2 weeks after surgery then a couple of weeks of stretch band strength work after that.

I avoided the trainer until the surgical would had healed (bandage off) just to avoid infection with sweat etc, but that was a personal choice and I had no need to be back on the bike ASAP like most professionals do, my recovery was focused on getting the clavicle back to normal so I could return to work duites as the bike is a hobbie and I need to pay the bills.

Hope this helps.
Wow, that sounds like hard work, when I broke mine it was internally pinned, 4 days after I was back at work, 3 days after that I was skiing and a further week later back riding. Yes you need the right sort of break but there are too many slow recovery stories and pinning seems to be ignored.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:07 am

Thought I'd share an update on my situation. Its been 8 months since surgery now, I have my normal range of motion and strength back. My last check up my doc said the bone all healed and joined. I did Physio session as well, however, it still doesn't feel completely NORMAL. There is a skin tightness feeling around that area say when I stretch my shoulders back, some soreness if I lean on it for a long time in my sleep, and also putting a backpack strap on it is uncomfortable.
Will this ever go away I wonder? Will removing the plate help at all?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:24 pm

wilkojunior wrote:Not sure if this still going, but I fractured/broke (well shattered) my clavicle/collar bone at the distal (shoulder) end at the start of Feb.

Hope this helps.
I like your story and the surgery you had. Your surgeon seems like he is on top of his game.
However, your rehab seems a little light on.
You should have got clearer instructions on ramping rehab to full strength and endurance.
This can take 6 mths. I am not saying you should go to physio for that long, but you should have come away feeling more confident about when and how to load the damaged area.

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:13 pm

geoff_tewierik wrote:Did my right clavicle on Sunday while racing at Underwood as part of the Sunshine Series. Chose to take the ambo as I'd ridden to the race and had no car. Asked to be taken closer to home (Holland Park West) so we rocked up to the PA Emergency.

Clean break in the middle, not a lot of pain at the time, two pieces of the bones, no fragments, so currently going with the no surgery route. Was in and out in under 3 hours and am in a sling.

Spoke to my physio and he said to stick with the sling, have my normal monthly physio session with him on Thursday (for my broken L5) and follow up x-rays to be done with the fracture clinic on the 27th.
This never healed.

Fracture clinic on 27th April went fine, Saw Dr. Ben Hope, who went with a 50:50 outlook on surgery, could do it, but don't need to choice was mine to make, and due to pregnant wife at the time I went without the surgery to see how it would go.

Followed up with X-rays at 6 weeks, reviewed by some doctor (don't recall who), still apart, come back and see us in 12 weeks.

Followed up with X-rays at 12 weeks, reviewed by another doctor (don't recall who), still apart, will schedule new x-rays in 12 weeks.

That 12 week time period passed, no contact from fracture clinic, contacted them and asked what's the deal, said I was "on a list". Came round to 16 weeks and still no contact from hospital. Hap conversation with wife about possibly bypassing PA system and going to private and getting it sorted, decided to wait 2 weeks post baby being born (due 19th Oct).

Bub came 1 week overdue (24th Oct), on 25th took kid #1 to park, swung on swing, wrenched shoulder, tearing whatever connective tissue was holding it together. Dropped at PA Emergency by SIL (nurse/midwife) who was helping us out, x-rays showed 2mm wider gap than original break, Dr Uhlmann (sp?) reviewed case and referred to Dr Ben Hope's private practice for review and surgery.

Met with Dr Hope, surgery a goer, done on 8th Nov, titanium plate and screws, with bone graft from illiac crest, overnight stay in the Wesley. Said surgery should have been the go at the first 12 week scan when it hadn't shown signs of binding together.

Referring Dr Uhlmann's referral number is incorrect (hasn't been in use since 1991), so can't make claims with Medicare or Private Health until that is all sorted. So out of pocket for $3K at the moment.

Still in sling, possibly bike time end of Jan/start Feb. Burping a newborn is not easy.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Not my lucky year.

I have spent the last few hours in emergency and now waiting on the orthopod.

X-ray confirmed that I have broken the clavicle but it's an each way bet whether to have surgery.

My concerns are probably the numbness from cutting the nerves on the shoulder (got this issue with my knee) and recovery with/without intervention).

My other orthopaedic had recently cleared my to start back on my bike albeit without cleats (I broke the tib/fib in October).
I really should take up cycling!