Riding on an empty stomach

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
TREKKER_MIKE

Re: Riding on an empty stomach

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:27 pm

For me only being new to this, i have always preferred going training/morning ride on an empty stomach (or a corner of an energy bar and some gatorade for hydration) if this will aid weight loss i will be happy, and when i want to build muscle/do a climbing session i think i will have a good feed of carbs (plain rice) and go mental.

I guess everyone is different, i know some people that cannot train on an empty stomach and vice versa
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:17 pm

I have to eat something before I ride, or I just feel really flat.

Even if it is just some sort of oatmeal sort of bar - that does the trick. Though unlike others, I don't have much weight to lose - and indeed the doctor doesn't want me to lose any more (I'm around 60-63kg).

I don't do coffee anymore though - just herbal tea and my stomach is thanking me for it. So the post ride eat/coffee session isn't that nice - I still want coffee. :wink: but I'm over the addiction headaches.

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:34 am

at around 63 kilo, fair enough ;)

I am a chunky 122kg, so i do have some stores before i die LOL
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:57 am

TREKKER_MIKE wrote:at around 63 kilo, fair enough ;)

I am a chunky 122kg, so i do have some stores before i die LOL
Just eat well and ride heaps. Walk plenty too if you can - 60 minutes a day. You'll lose the kilos. :)

That's how I did it. And then plenty of squats and you'll have legs like Robert Förstemann. ;)

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:28 pm

g-boaf wrote:I have to eat something before I ride, or I just feel really flat.

Even if it is just some sort of oatmeal sort of bar - that does the trick. Though unlike others, I don't have much weight to lose - and indeed the doctor doesn't want me to lose any more (I'm around 60-63kg).

I don't do coffee anymore though - just herbal tea and my stomach is thanking me for it. So the post ride eat/coffee session isn't that nice - I still want coffee. :wink: but I'm over the addiction headaches.
Were I am the opposite. If I eat within the first 45 minutes of waking I will throw it up within the next 30 minutes and I will feel sick all day.

If I am training hard I will stick something in the pocket and eat during the warm up.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

northboy

Postby northboy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:14 pm

I am good for about 50-60kms of hard riding on an empty stomach (this takes out most of my rides) but need something after that - usualy a banana or muesli bar. If planning a long hard ride however I force myself to eat a couple of weetbix and pack a banana so I do not run out of energy after about the 2hr mark.

I ride for fun and to maintain my weight for the diet I like (not high fat etc just sensible with a few beers here and there) and I find that riding empty assists with that goal.

Northy

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:16 pm

Depending upon the day, I may have one/two weetbix & honey pre-ride or a smoothie with 2 weetbix, banana, yoghurt, honey & vanilla essence post ride. I find that something light pre-ride stops me fading during exercise.
I really should take up cycling!

ruckmaj

Postby ruckmaj » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:35 pm

I do a majority of my riding when i get home after work and given i don't usually eat for 5 hours prior i guess its somewhat on par time wise but not accurate considering i'm using more energy being awake at work than asleep.
Breakfast for me is usually 5 weetbix and some fruit then dinner is lots of protein and a bit of carbs prior to riding. Will try and change my routine while im off work and see if the report works out!
Rule #6 // Free your mind and your legs will follow.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:35 pm

Good cycling food - bananas

The domesticated variety and its wild ancestor :shock:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 pm

What the hell is it with those spots? :shock:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

matagi

Postby matagi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:08 pm

I think they are seeds

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:21 pm

All the cultivated bananas are clones, and unable to reproduce naturally. The wild ancestors have lots of seeds and less flesh.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/feastand ... 02/bananas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are over 1,000 varieties of wild banana in the world. But 95% of banana exports come from a single cultivated variety, the Cavendish. They are basically clones, that is, genetically identical plants. This means they do not have seeds and are nicer to eat. It also means that if one plant is at risk, they all are.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:02 pm

matagi wrote:I think they are seeds
They are indeed seeds. And because they are, that banana is basically inedible.

Edible bananas are sterile. Not surprisingly there are only a limited number of sterile varieties. Most of what we eat are Cavendish. Each cavendish, being sterile, is a perfect clone of those that came before it and the variations that we see are purely a result of different climate conditions, different soils, early picking etc. Each generation as to be grown from cuttings or droppings.

If you slice one of those varieties that we eat you will just see a blacky smear instead - no defined seeds - indicating sterility.

The fertile ones are tough and require boiling to make them edible and will not taste nice. On that basis you would be hard pressed to eat the one on the right. It would not taste sweet.

Because edible bananas are incapable of evolving they are attacjked by a lot of evolving bugs, parasites, fungi etc and pretty well crops everywhere outside of Oz and some of South America, are so afflicted and can only be bought to market after intense regular (weekly) spaying of various pesticides. The free trade agreement recently put in place that allows importing bananas will almost certainly infect our own crops of Cavendish in time.

The WHO is trying to genetically modify some existing sterile varietes to resist these attacks. If they are unsuccessful then the fear is that existing edible bananas, which are a staple to, from memory, 25% of the world, will go the way of the heavily attacked Gros Michel (extinction) that was, itself, displaced by the Cavendish. And that will mean starvation in a lot of tropical third world countries. The time frame is something like a decade for existing staple varieties to collapse.

(I wonder if DurianRider realises that when he eats his thirty bananas a day overseas he is almost certainly eating fruit that has been sprayed twenty, thirty, forty times with pesticides. Ditto if imported from overseas.)

(Apologies for going off at a tangent but the banana really is a more interesting fruit than most and I could not resist. Back to the subject.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu May 01, 2014 3:46 pm

I think DR eats organic bananas...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu May 01, 2014 5:36 pm

jlh wrote:I think DR eats organic bananas...
I DID say overseas. I do note in a few of his pics I have seen that he seems to choose more than just Cavendish.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 07, 2014 4:25 pm

If I'm doing a ride where performance is not important, then I won't eat.

Anything where I will have big efforts and I'll have something before I head out.

Graeme obree and Wiggo are two well known advocates for fasted cardio but there are many more.