Obese Cyclists

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Obese Cyclists

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:34 am

Welcome Antii, as you know I read your story as it unfolded. Seeing it as a summary is inspiring. Appologies for getting your weight a little wrong.

I know where BFV is coming from, I race track too. R U still living in Melbourne? If so they have a great wooden velodrome. If your in Canberra, then there's a wait before track riding as its closed for major alterations. At a place near Gouldburn NSW is a mini car race track called Marulan Driver Training Centre and its a real buzz to push bike race on.

Gordonhooker welcome to the real world and all the best with your new leaf on life :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks Mike.... I will enjoy....
OI onya bike!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm

anttismo wrote:Month 9 onwards - The bicycle!! At about 180kg I had tried my old bicycle - an early 90s diamondback apex mtb on slicks - but it was too difficult. At 160kg I tried again and I found I could do it. I rode 30km one Saturday and I was probably the happiest guy in Melbourne that day. I was worried about me knees, but they pulled up OK. Over time I built up the kms. Pretty soon I was riding most mornings, averaging 150~200kms a week. Oh yeah, I bought a new bike to - a Giant Seek urban thingo, that has subsequently done over 50000 kms. I still get up at 2 am, so an average 3hrs on a bike is still part of the day...
I had a good laugh and a grin at that! :D That is hugely inspiring - well done to you. 8)

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks for all your positive comments folks :)
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:...You can do this on a pushie as well. Get a track bike, get on a velodrome, and you'll have the same sort of experience you had on a motorbike, except you're pedaling. Imagine doing 60kph on a bike with no brakes while riding up a 42 degree wall, all the while wearing lycra. Body armour and full face helmets are for pussies.
Well that explains why I like full face helmets and body armour. Soon I might step up to a gimp suit :lol:
mikesbytes wrote:Welcome Antii, as you know I read your story as it unfolded. Seeing it as a summary is inspiring. Appologies for getting your weight a little wrong.

I know where BFV is coming from, I race track too. R U still living in Melbourne? If so they have a great wooden velodrome. If your in Canberra, then there's a wait before track riding as its closed for major alterations. At a place near Gouldburn NSW is a mini car race track called Marulan Driver Training Centre and its a real buzz to push bike race on...
I'm still in Melbourne. Never even been to a proper veledrome, let alone riding on one. Actually, we do have a few low banked public outdoor ones I've had a few laps on, but not proper like. Pro chick at work (who actually won last round NRS at warnambool- yay!) is always encouraging all kinds of crazy pushie ideas. Might have to go along to a veldrome with her one day. Who knows, I never thought I'd buy a single speed and I did that!

Only thing I have planned racing wise is to do a few more 50/100km XC mtb things like otway odessey, capital punishment, etc. They were fun :)

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:28 am

Late reading it but still a great story Anttismo! Thank you for sharing. A positive input for weight reduction aspirants all over. :)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Lambsy

Postby Lambsy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:34 pm

sheesh Anttismo, I was proud of myself for dropping from 110kg to 80kg fifteen years ago (swimming did it for me) but your story is just bl*^#y astonishing.

Kudos to you and all the others out there trying to do the same - you CAN do it,

Iain

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:27 pm

sogood wrote:Late reading it but still a great story Anttismo! Thank you for sharing. A positive input for weight reduction aspirants all over. :)
Same here, top stuff! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:58 am

good on you antti. very interesting stuff. over 150kg is seriously big. over 200 is just mind boggling.

I think your story about booze is very interesting. I have also had a taste for it, and get annoyed at myself when I realize how many K's I'll have to ride to burn off a session. Anyway, I can honestly say I am probably just as obsessive about cycling as many here, and that has actually helped me tone down the hold booze gets on me sometimes. Sometimes I think you need a passion that is almost as strong as one you are trying to shake. I admire anyone who goes cold turkey.

The other thing I found interesting is your 100kg set point. I am guessing at 6ft4, you could be 90kg no worries, and your cycling would be so much better. It is true that weight loss gets harder as your body fat % drops. I work in the wt loss field and can share this - if you are doing heaps of exercise, which it seems you are at maybe 15+hrs a week, and with the very heavy weight you reached, it is possible you are still somewhat insulin resistant and the exercise is burning a higher % of carbs than fat even if not high intensity.

I've had several clients really cut back on their exercise (2 cut all of it together on 1 mth stays in Indian ashrams) and focus on calming their nervous system with meditation and yoga.
To their surprise, they busted the set point and lost 5-15kg very comfortably, and then progressively built back the exercise load.

At the end of the day, you need to understand what is driving your hunger cravings. For many, calming the mind and emotions is a very powerful way to calm your cravings.

Power to you....

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:34 pm

I just finished the sydney to gong, and everyone at work was shocked "you !! finished the Sydney to gong"

they all thought i was fat and lazy, even though they knew i was training for it.

Problem is, we have a few really big people at work, and they eat rubbish all day, make excuses why they cant do anything, THEY are the people that give us big boys a bad name !!!

Lazy fat people take notice, you are making it harder for the rest of us
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Never judge a book by its cover hey Trekker, good onya! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:31 pm

winstonw wrote:...The other thing I found interesting is your 100kg set point. I am guessing at 6ft4, you could be 90kg no worries, and your cycling would be so much better. It is true that weight loss gets harder as your body fat % drops. I work in the wt loss field and can share this - if you are doing heaps of exercise, which it seems you are at maybe 15+hrs a week, and with the very heavy weight you reached, it is possible you are still somewhat insulin resistant and the exercise is burning a higher % of carbs than fat even if not high intensity.

I've had several clients really cut back on their exercise (2 cut all of it together on 1 mth stays in Indian ashrams) and focus on calming their nervous system with meditation and yoga.
To their surprise, they busted the set point and lost 5-15kg very comfortably, and then progressively built back the exercise load.

At the end of the day, you need to understand what is driving your hunger cravings. For many, calming the mind and emotions is a very powerful way to calm your cravings.

Power to you....
Thanks for your input winstonw. Perhaps I could be lighter, but I'm not sure 90 is so easily possible, but the long and the short of it is that I'm very comfortable with my current lifestyle and cycling performance. And unecesary discpline is something I try to avoid :lol: But worth pondering if I ever got serious about stuff :)

Specialized29er

Postby Specialized29er » Sat May 03, 2014 12:09 am

TREKKER_MIKE wrote:
Leowen2 wrote:I was in the same boat, 2 years ago I weighed in at 170 kgs and with the help of my Lap Band and mountain biking I've lost 60kgs and best of all I've also lost my type 2 diabetes.
Just took part in my first mounain biking event and completed the 30klm ride/push in 3 hours and 13 minutes and am looking forward to a charity ride in 40 days where I'm going in the 60klm road ride. 12 months ago I purchased a Specialized Hardrock 29er for the rough stuff and just last week I purchased a Merida Crossway 100 for the upcomming charity road ride.
Congratulations for your hard work, you should be very proud, soo many people (my old man included) dont realise that you can manage your type 2diabetes.
Which charity ride is that?
River to Reef ride in Mackay Qld
http://www.river2reefride.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Specialized29er

Postby Specialized29er » Sat May 03, 2014 12:22 am

briztoon wrote:Awesome work Leowen2. If you can, take a camera and photo document your charity ride. Love to see other peoples photos, especially if they have an inspirational to go with the photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRKr2BT-JA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 03, 2014 5:34 pm

^^^ Good stuff! 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

Specialized29er

Postby Specialized29er » Sun May 04, 2014 10:08 am

TREKKER_MIKE wrote:
Leowen2 wrote:I was in the same boat, 2 years ago I weighed in at 170 kgs and with the help of my Lap Band and mountain biking I've lost 60kgs and best of all I've also lost my type 2 diabetes.
Just took part in my first mounain biking event and completed the 30klm ride/push in 3 hours and 13 minutes and am looking forward to a charity ride in 40 days where I'm going in the 60klm road ride. 12 months ago I purchased a Specialized Hardrock 29er for the rough stuff and just last week I purchased a Merida Crossway 100 for the upcomming charity road ride.
Congratulations for your hard work, you should be very proud, soo many people (my old man included) dont realise that you can manage your type 2diabetes.
I was one of the lucky ones whose diabetes went into remission as soon as the band went on and everyday without it is a great day.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun May 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Specialized29er wrote:
TREKKER_MIKE wrote:
I was one of the lucky ones whose diabetes went into remission as soon as the band went on and everyday without it is a great day.
I recall the odd comment over the years that banding was cheating. What tosser logic could devise that idea? I know people who have a band and they said it can still be a lot of hard work changing eating habits and maintaining them. Live long and prosper I say to anybody trying to better themselves and enjoy life.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:27 pm

I have noticed a lady riding in a bunch most likely a all lady group full lycra clad,She stands out to me because she is very tall. The cyclist was pretty well over weight by far possibly 80kg. Been running into them for about 2 years now, she was at the back of field in the start but 2 years later, very slim and always at the front of the field :)

darylcheshire

Postby darylcheshire » Wed May 07, 2014 12:32 am

Hi, I'm 56, 5ft 3 and weigh 81kg, in February 2014, I bought an electric bike and have lost 5kg, I was 86kg in Feb.
I also suffer from asthma but I can ride the bike even if I'm a little out of breath.
The electric bike is a pedalec so I still have to pedal.
I used to run the bike at the sport setting and the other settings didn't seem to do anything.
Now I ride the bike at no boost or zero power.
I gradully reduced the power over the last month.
Also I recently bought a 2013 Kona Dew Plus because I wasn't sure if I could ride a normal bike and I love it to bits.
The breathlessness limits me to smaller hills and less headwind but the electric bike gets me off my arse and I go out in windy days and ride from 10 to 40km a day. I prefer to ride the Kona If I can.

I have ridden the electric bike on the Warburton rail trail twice which is 80km return and the limit of the battery. There is a 3-4 km incline up Mt Evelyn and I don't think I'm ready to tackle it with the Kona yet

I'd like to ride the other trails and will soon tackle the Mansfield line from Yea.

The line to Tallangatta and the Wonthaggi line is on my list.

My goal is to reach 70kg and I have promised myself a Kona Rove when I reach it. Hopefully in a few months.

To make it a project I have taken two months off work and I'm in my second week of it.

So far I have lost my man-!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! and the flabby armpits and I need to drill another hole in my belt.
I hope my asthma will improve as my lungs will have more room to expand in.

I'm fascinated in the cycling culture and enjoy the cafes.

rjk

Postby rjk » Wed May 07, 2014 8:24 am

darylcheshire wrote:Hi, I'm 56, 5ft 3 and weigh 81kg, in February 2014, I bought an electric bike and have lost 5kg, I was 86kg in Feb.
I also suffer from asthma but I can ride the bike even if I'm a little out of breath.
The electric bike is a pedalec so I still have to pedal.
I used to run the bike at the sport setting and the other settings didn't seem to do anything.
Now I ride the bike at no boost or zero power.
I gradully reduced the power over the last month.
Also I recently bought a 2013 Kona Dew Plus because I wasn't sure if I could ride a normal bike and I love it to bits.
The breathlessness limits me to smaller hills and less headwind but the electric bike gets me off my arse and I go out in windy days and ride from 10 to 40km a day. I prefer to ride the Kona If I can.

I have ridden the electric bike on the Warburton rail trail twice which is 80km return and the limit of the battery. There is a 3-4 km incline up Mt Evelyn and I don't think I'm ready to tackle it with the Kona yet

I'd like to ride the other trails and will soon tackle the Mansfield line from Yea.

The line to Tallangatta and the Wonthaggi line is on my list.

My goal is to reach 70kg and I have promised myself a Kona Rove when I reach it. Hopefully in a few months.

To make it a project I have taken two months off work and I'm in my second week of it.

So far I have lost my man-!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! and the flabby armpits and I need to drill another hole in my belt.
I hope my asthma will improve as my lungs will have more room to expand in.

I'm fascinated in the cycling culture and enjoy the cafes.

welcome to my world, thats how i started, if your bike has a removable battery buy a second battery and take it with you.

I was 105kg dodgy knees, very unfit and lived on top of a hill.
I got the electric and started riding to jells park have a coffee and come back 30km round trip, did that for 3 months then tried riding into the city for work, i got a second charger and left it at work.

I would ride in one morning and train home, then train in the next morning and ride home, did that for 2 months, then started riding in every day.
did that for 12 months and clocked up over 10,000km on the electric, it got to the point where i was over powering the bike and it couldnt go any faster but i wanted to.

I ended up getting my salsa road bike, lovely comfortable beast and interspersed riding the roadie and the electric in and out of work.

I joined up with the riders in ringwood vic doing the rrr and have made great friends doing it.

I now own a boardman cx pro and a top of the line trek domane, welcome to the world of cycling addiction.

I am now 92kg, 90 is my next reward point where i reward myself with something special for achieving it, and i am aiming for 85kg, once i hit that woohoo, havent been that weight for 30 years
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Specialized29er

Postby Specialized29er » Sun May 18, 2014 9:52 pm

18/05/14 Update - Now 95kgs and although I'm 52 I just love cycling.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sun May 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Ive got a mate that was 150kg and changed his diet choices and dropped down to 75kg. Its not believable unless you see his before and after. He is only 20!!!

His name is Chris Randall and has a bit of following on the net. Inspiring lad.

He basically stopped eating his high fat and protein animal based diet and went to a high carb low fat vegan diet. NEVER restricted calories either and I know he will be doing this for life as his meal choices are tasty and LARGE! lol!

Anyone can drop weight but to keep it off...thats the real challenge. Basically if you can't do your 'diet' for life then its a fad and will not last. You have to have the feeling you can do this lifestyle for the REST OF YOUR LIFE if its to provide longterm and lasting positive changes.

No dietary change comes without a change in mindset either. Eating less NEVER works longterm. Just look at the biggest loser. JUST EAT RIGHT! Eat like a Kenyan!

He also started riding his hybrid bike around town. Never raced. Never done a 100k ride before. Just cruIsing around town in sneakers and carb'n up!
Vegan since 2001.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun May 25, 2014 8:39 pm

durianrider wrote:Anyone can drop weight but to keep it off...thats the real challenge.
Indeed - step one is to find a diet that satisfies. For me it's meat and green veg with the odd bit of nuts/fruit.
winstonw wrote:At the end of the day, you need to understand what is driving your hunger cravings.
Yup - I ask "why am I sitting in front of the telly/PC an hour after I should be sleeping drinking booze and eating processed crap?"

(I've find Alain de Botton a very useful chap in helping me ask the right questions to answer this. Sometimes I don't like what I find but meh!)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue May 27, 2014 10:48 am

Thoglette wrote:
durianrider wrote:Anyone can drop weight but to keep it off...thats the real challenge.
Indeed - step one is to find a diet that satisfies. For me it's meat and green veg with the odd bit of nuts/fruit.

Be careful eating that much meat. Increased risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and mental health issues can be a factor.

Good book to read on the science about low carb is The Low Carb Fraud - Professor Campbell.

I did the paleo diet back in 99 once. Didnt crap for a week and couldnt even ride my bike up the hill I normally float up. That was enough.

Last nice I had curry rice, a bit deep dish pizza and 2 vegan 10 inch XL burrittos.

6ft (AT) 68kg. Love eating big and staying lean and not having to train crazy all year long.

If the diet can't be done for life, its a fad and will not provide lasting results. Everytime we cut carbs, we inhibit our metabolism. Just look at Loren Cordain and Sally Fallon.
Vegan since 2001.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed May 28, 2014 10:07 pm

durianrider wrote:Be careful eating that much meat.
I should have said "greens and meat" as that reflects portion sizes better. It also reflects the view of the plate - carbs are there, just not dominating and not all sugars and starches.

I am doing a lot of reading in a lot of areas. And my pinch-of-salt shaker is locked and loaded (metaphorically speaking !).
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Thu May 29, 2014 9:01 pm

Disagree; many find it a challenge to lose any weight. To do so involves a change of mindset and if someone has become depressed for any number of reasons, comfort eating becomes a vicious circle which is hard to get out of. Its not impossible but not quite as simple as saying, 'I'm going to lose XXkg from today'. Once the weight has been lost, the 2nd phase of the challenge begins as has been rightly pointed out...sustaining the loss.