Obese Cyclists

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Obese Cyclists

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Riding along the local bike path today, saw a lady who must of been close to 200kg riding a bike and it reminded me of several people I know who have successfully turned around their lives thru using a non impact exercise such as cycling as the exercise component of their road to success.

One example is a guy who weighed a tad over 200kg and lost around 90kg in one year, initially by walking, then graduated to cycling. Nowadays he rides serious distances that once would of looked impossible. On the diet side, he blamed booze and went cold turkey on it.

Another example is a guy who weighed 215kg. Saw a dietitian, got a plan and stuck to it. Joined the gym and became a regular, in particular spin classes. Last time I saw him he weighed 75kg, which is less than me.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Re: Obese Cyclists

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:38 pm

What more could people ask for in inspiration to get out there, than people like this? 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 pm

foo on patrol wrote:What more could people ask for in inspiration to get out there, than people like this? 8)

Foo
Damn right!
I see the odd chub out and about and always give 'em a friendly G'Day and whatever words of encouragement seem suitable. Gotta be impressed by someone having a go.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:50 am

That's it Mulger. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:37 am

I'd suggest googling 39 Stone Cyclist and Earnest J. Gagnon. Earnest is amazeballs and we talk on FB from time to time. He's still massive ATM but he still takes part in weekend CX races.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Funny you say that, Yesterday guys at work were poking fun of larger guys in bright lycra colours.

I was going to put my 2 cents in for a bit of a laugh but i stopped.

I am a chunky rider (120kilo) and i am wearing lycra (try for the black "slimmer" designs).

But i dont care, i am out there every morning training for the sydney to gong, just started, and i hope the weight falls off with the improved eating habits

Give credit to anyone who gets out on a bike and gives it a go.

They could be on the couch, so encouragement and perhaps even "join us for a coffee at 8am" in passing or something will keep the motivation.
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Kudos to them all I say. You've got to start somewhere & to try & improve your life is fantastic.
I passed a larger fellow this morning too... Gave him a quick wave as I passed & thought good on him.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:09 pm

No matter how bad or how unhealthy you think you may be, you've already lapped that guy on the couch several times.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:09 pm

I tip the scales at close to 170kg and I'm about 204cm in height and I love getting out there for a ride, I have a pretty crappy lower back and find that I can't walk more than 3 or 4km before I will pay for it the next day yet I can get on the bike and have been riding up to around 35-40km on my mtb with no Ill effects. I do wear bib shorts and a lose fitting cycling top when I'm on the bike but I'm most likely to wear a some sports shorts over the bibs! :lol:

I'm not so fused about the losing weight aspect of it but more so the enjoyment of it, If get some added health benefits then thats just a bouns to me.
If its the sort of thing your doing purely for a weight loss point of view there's a chance it will seem as more of a chore than as activity that you do because you enjoy it.
I'm in the market for a road bike now so I can start sloging out the longer rides I must admit I'm still a little nervous looking at the skinny tyres and thinner rims, I know in my head I have just as high a chance of a rim failure with the wheels and tyres on my mtb but its still something I think about.

Jim.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Jimbobtwoshoes wrote:I tip the scales at close to 170kg...
I'm in the market for a road bike now so I can start slogging out the longer rides I must admit I'm still a little nervous looking at the skinny tyres and thinner rims, I know in my head I have just as high a chance of a rim failure with the wheels and tyres on my mtb but its still something I think about.
Many road bikes have a weight limits of ~125Kg and road bike wheels won't easily take your weight. Also the pressures you'd need for 23s to hold you up may exceed the tyre's max pressure. If you must go in this direction, get a cyclocross or touring bike. Get some 29er or touring rims with lots of spokes and wider tyres like 28 or 32mm. That stuff has a better chance of lasting more distance with your weight than a road bike.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Motivational?

Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:56 pm

On a bike, 'bent, uni: Absolutely.
No way I'd enjoy watching him wander around WalMart tho', no matter how well he'd fit in...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:29 pm

Jimbobtwoshoes wrote:I tip the scales at close to 170kg and I'm about 204cm in height and I love getting out there for a ride, I have a pretty crappy lower back and find that I can't walk more than 3 or 4km before I will pay for it the next day yet I can get on the bike and have been riding up to around 35-40km on my mtb with no Ill effects. I do wear bib shorts and a lose fitting cycling top when I'm on the bike but I'm most likely to wear a some sports shorts over the bibs! :lol:

I'm not so fused about the losing weight aspect of it but more so the enjoyment of it, If get some added health benefits then thats just a bouns to me.
If its the sort of thing your doing purely for a weight loss point of view there's a chance it will seem as more of a chore than as activity that you do because you enjoy it.
I'm in the market for a road bike now so I can start sloging out the longer rides I must admit I'm still a little nervous looking at the skinny tyres and thinner rims, I know in my head I have just as high a chance of a rim failure with the wheels and tyres on my mtb but its still something I think about.

Jim.
Why do you need a road bike if you are doing 40kms on the mtb? Particularly if you have a bad lower back, I would have thought the mtb would be better for you. What is it about your current bike that you don't like? Tyres too knobby? There are plenty of options. Too heavy? You can always replace the front shocks with a rigid if it has them and save a bit of weight. If your current bike is holding up for you it might be worth keeping for a while yet - maybe just a makeover of a few bits here and there will give you new life and stop you worrying about a new road bike failing on you - rational or not if you have the doubt it might affect your enjoyment.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Jim, I'm about 105Kg and also carry a bag (clothes, a book, some tools etc, can't be more than 10Kg) and I mow through spokes on a flat bar with 28mm tyres and 32 spokes. I think you would destroy road bike wheels. Touring bikes may be an option but I wouldn't really look at anything with less than 36 spokes and I wouldn't go too narrow. Also look at the frame (I broke one) and try and get one with a horizontal cross bar rather than one which slopes down at the rear, this means you will have less seat post protruding and therefore less leverage on the frame. In fact, I'd say go to a bikeshop and ask about road biles, make sure you mention your weight, and only buy from a shop which steers you away from bikes with narrow wheels. A shop which is honest about what will take your weight should be able to give you advice on what will take your weight.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:23 am

Jimbobtwoshoes wrote:I tip the scales at close to 170kg and I'm about 204cm in height and I love getting out there for a ride, I have a pretty crappy lower back and find that I can't walk more than 3 or 4km before I will pay for it the next day yet I can get on the bike and have been riding up to around 35-40km on my mtb with no Ill effects. I do wear bib shorts and a lose fitting cycling top when I'm on the bike but I'm most likely to wear a some sports shorts over the bibs! :lol:

Jim.
40 spoke tandem wheels! Yes, they exist. Alternately, get some nice hybrid wheels with 13 or 12 gauge spokes. Heavy as hell, but hard to kill.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:35 am

I've thought about 40 spoke wheels. The other thing I have noticed is that the spokes I am using to replace broken spokes are a fair bit thicker than the originals. None of the replacement spokes has broken so I think there's something in that.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:03 am

I spent a couple of years on some DA7850 C50s when 110kg down to about 90kgs, which with much abuse, never missed a beat. I was sceptical initially, given the 20/24 spoke count but they never even broke a spoke. I sent them back to Shimano about 12months ago due to a couple of small (non weight related) issues and they were replaced with new, 7900 C50s. Ironically, I broke a front spoke on that set about 6 months ago without any provocation when I was only 80kgs!

For peace of mind if you are generously endowed, I would ask a good wheel builder to buid a set for u. Greg from TWE seems to get a good wrap although I've never used him. Wouldn't hurt to give someone like that a call and discuss.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:47 am

DavidS wrote:I've thought about 40 spoke wheels. The other thing I have noticed is that the spokes I am using to replace broken spokes are a fair bit thicker than the originals. None of the replacement spokes has broken so I think there's something in that.

DS
You are probably replacing double butted 2/1.8/2 spokes with straight 2mm spokes. In theory the DB spokes will stretch more in use placing more load on the straight spokes. Although they may be OK so far, it's not an ideal situation.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:14 am

mikesbytes wrote:Another example is a guy who weighed 215kg. Saw a dietitian, got a plan and stuck to it. Joined the gym and became a regular, in particular spin classes. Last time I saw him he weighed 75kg, which is less than me.
that would be more weight loss than anyone I've been involved with - which is a 50 something female who went from 15 years at 150kg to 70kg. did it by walking and plant based eating, and has sustained it now for 3 years.

mick243

Postby mick243 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:42 am

DavidS wrote:Jim, I'm about 105Kg and also carry a bag (clothes, a book, some tools etc, can't be more than 10Kg) and I mow through spokes on a flat bar with 28mm tyres and 32 spokes. I think you would destroy road bike wheels. Touring bikes may be an option but I wouldn't really look at anything with less than 36 spokes and I wouldn't go too narrow. Also look at the frame (I broke one) and try and get one with a horizontal cross bar rather than one which slopes down at the rear, this means you will have less seat post protruding and therefore less leverage on the frame. In fact, I'd say go to a bikeshop and ask about road biles, make sure you mention your weight, and only buy from a shop which steers you away from bikes with narrow wheels. A shop which is honest about what will take your weight should be able to give you advice on what will take your weight.

DS
Hmmm, I'm 120ish, my road bike wheels are maybe 18 years old and haven't popped a spoke yet...... Converseley my cheap commuter bike pops spokes maybe every other month.... My old 26er went strong for years, then the back wheel blew about a dozen spokes in one hit (whilst on a gentle ride thru the burbs) my last 29er blew 2 frames but the wheels we fine, my current 29er isn't old enough to judge yet, but seems to be good.

Most bikes I've seen lately have a weight limit of 125-135 kegs.

You will need to spend a little more, and make sure you get well built wheels. Double butted spokes and no "built for lightness"

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:38 pm

jaffaman wrote: Why do you need a road bike if you are doing 40kms on the mtb? Particularly if you have a bad lower back, I would have thought the mtb would be better for you. What is it about your current bike that you don't like? Tyres too knobby? There are plenty of options. Too heavy? You can always replace the front shocks with a rigid if it has them and save a bit of weight. If your current bike is holding up for you it might be worth keeping for a while yet - maybe just a makeover of a few bits here and there will give you new life and stop you worrying about a new road bike failing on you - rational or not if you have the doubt it might affect your enjoyment.

The problem with my lower back is scoliosis, so flexability is not much of an issue its impact that causes most of the pain for me. I'm more worried about the stree on the wheels but I have a good idea at what I would be looking at to get a set of wheels made for me that would take the added strain. You won't see me riding around on any 18 spoke wheels thats for damn sure.
I have thought about about replacing the shocks and things , I have changed the tyres to something a little more suited to road riding which does make a fair bit of difference. Its more forward thinking than anything I want to increase my time on the bike and the distances I am riding, and its not much fun being up right on a bike riding in to the wind, Its a bloody good work out but it gets a bit old after awhile with 2 square feet of extra wind resistance beween my sholders and waist not to even mention my huge head!

I'm thinking about forgetting anything off the shelf, as with most things off the shelf its never just right for me I'm look at going down the path of getting a frame built for me and go from there.

I did not intend for my post to start a debate about what I will or won't break it was more directed at pointing out the fact that if you go in to with purely a weight loss goal in mind, you may over look the fact that its about getting on the bike and going for a ride and enjoying yourself, I may get off the bike puffing and panting and sweating like a monster but Ill have a smile on my face. If people are too focused on the losing weight I'd find i would not enjoy it as much and end up losing the will to finish work and jump on the bike and smash out a few km's before dinner or loading the bike in to the back of my car and going to find a rail trail to ride with a mate on the weekend.

Cheers to the people who have made constructive comments.
Jim.

mick243

Postby mick243 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Oh yeah, the most important bit is to get out and enjoy it

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:56 pm

I've ridden with a number of larger riders.

I think they are crazy awesome. :)

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 pm

+1 on the enjoyment bit. Thanks for your reply - clearly you have thought it through and know what you want and why which is great and all I was trying to get too - sometimes people haven't made that effort. Hope you find a great road bike you love. Or a nice recumbent high racer if you want to really get aero 8-)

I'm obese myself and actually did much the same - imported a frame I specifically wanted and built it up myself including specing and getting built to order wheels that should last me a very long time. Interestingly I went the other way in geometry - my bike is designed on purpose to make me sit bolt upright - in fact I ride in the same position with or without my hands on the bars - that is how upright it is. Yes, it creates drag, but I like the view and position.... but that is just me and I am used to being somewhat "different" in my views. 8-)

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:36 pm

The people who would ridcule a larger cyclist in the lycra would be the same W*nker who would be saying "he needs to get out and do some excercise"

As long as you are enjoying it, and are happy, keep at it is all i say.

Up until my shoulder went pop, i was large, and went along to Muay Thai and MMA training, i was loosing heaps of weight, but more importantly from day one, they were welcoming and encouraging. They took the time to find out what previous bests were and push you to beat them. High fives all round etc

The best thing is, i never went to the gym and said "better get this training done" i was out with mates having too much fun to worry about excercise. Then my shoulder was popped. I miss it, but i bought a bike to meet cyclists, race, join in on weekend rides.

Encouragement is the key to anyone being sucessful with goals.
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's