Weight loss has stalled

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: Weight loss has stalled

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Wakatuki wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
Wakatuki wrote:The bad news is that the more you loose the less fuel your body needs, so you constantly have to shave calories off your diet.
*lose* not *loose* but apart from that, what you say is 100% correct. !
Whata mistaka to maka Image
:lol:
<removed by request>

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:42 am

shashicyclewala wrote: sugar in any form
Not even fruit?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:13 am

skull wrote:
Not even fruit?

i'd say not even fruit in active weight loss mode and limited fruit even in weight maintenance mode. fructose! seems to turn on the desire to eat more, just makes it harder! :shock: :? :o :roll:

shashicyclewala

Postby shashicyclewala » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:26 am

Avoid for example mangoes but eating oranges should be fine , but then do not have a dozen oranges

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 am

feral grasshopper wrote:
skull wrote:
Not even fruit?

i'd say not even fruit in active weight loss mode and limited fruit even in weight maintenance mode. fructose! seems to turn on the desire to eat more, just makes it harder! :shock: :? :o :roll:
Waiting for Durian rider to pipe in here. :lol:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:15 pm

feral grasshopper wrote:
skull wrote:
Not even fruit?

I lost around 20kg eating 3 to 4 serves of fruit per day. It did not make me hungry. Chocolate, cakes, biscuits, muffins, lollies etc make me hungry, but not fruit. But if you eat fruit and it makes you hungry, don't eat it! Eat vegetables. :D
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:17 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:
skull wrote: Not even fruit?
Waiting for Durian rider to pipe in here. :lol:
Na... he's MIA. Anyway, mumble mumble, bananas, fruit, obese, Thailand, rice, bananas, my girlfriend is hot, bananas. I know it's not as long winded but it makes the same point eh? :wink:
<removed by request>

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: Na... he's MIA. Anyway, mumble mumble, bananas, fruit, obese, Thailand, rice, bananas, my girlfriend is hot, bananas. I know it's not as long winded but it makes the same point eh? :wink:
Sorry, you completely forgot to misquote scientific literature you've clearly never read! :roll:

matagi

Postby matagi » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:46 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:
skull wrote: Not even fruit?

I lost around 20kg eating 3 to 4 serves of fruit per day. It did not make me hungry. Chocolate, cakes, biscuits, muffins, lollies etc make me hungry, but not fruit. But if you eat fruit and it makes you hungry, don't eat it! Eat vegetables. :D
Eating lots of cherries will give you diarrhoea due to the sorbitol content (sorbitol being a laxative) - that may or may not be a useful weight loss strategy. :P

shashicyclewala

Postby shashicyclewala » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:49 pm

The strategy is to eat and exercise in such a way that it is sustainable for years or the rest of the life. Having wide fluctuations in weight gain and loss probably could be more harmful than having a steady higher weight

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:58 am

I've mentioned elsewhere that I lost about 125 kg over a period a few years back. since that time I have tracked my weight daily, mostly because I'm a nerd by profession and love charts and graphs, not for any real need too. But I tend to track my weight changes in terms of weeks, or even months. everything is very much long term. Weeks to feel better, months to look better, years to "be" better.

I have, on many occasions, had a 3kg day to day variation - I'm 100kg, so say 3%. Sometimes it's easy to see why, eg. spent 12 hrs on the bike and it was 30 degrees, or spent 12 hrs on the couch and ate 2 kg of highly processed carbs, but other times it seems strange. Anyway, personally I don't make any judgements about weight gain/loss on anything less than 2 weeks, even though the daily tracking gives me a natural filtering insight.

Not really acusing anyone of this, but I do find it amusing when people claim to "have put on 2 kg last week" or similar. Sure, weight goes up and down, largely via small percentage changes in body fiulds and current gut mass, but given fat levels are what people are really in it just isn't possible. Thermodynamicaly you need 15,000+ Calories deficiet/excees to loose/gain 2kg of fat. Just not physically possible for most people to do that.

So in summary, do something consistent. Do it for a few months. Make a judgement on how it going and adjust. In my opinion it is really long term is what matters :)

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:01 am

Venus62 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: Na... he's MIA. Anyway, mumble mumble, bananas, fruit, obese, Thailand, rice, bananas, my girlfriend is hot, bananas. I know it's not as long winded but it makes the same point eh? :wink:
Sorry, you completely forgot to misquote scientific literature you've clearly never read! :roll:
Just found out why he is so quiet, he's driving around again with his Garmin on... Strava Prove It Challenge current leader and in the heat wave!
Must set off with frozen bananas. :lol:

shashicyclewala

Postby shashicyclewala » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 am

anttismo wrote:I've mentioned elsewhere that I lost about 125 kg over a period a few years back.
That is amazing : 125 Kgs, unbelievable. Well done

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Im currently cutting down to low 80's or high 70's eventually, doing weights to help keep muscle for sprinting, losing around 1.7kgs a week on 6700kjs per day, some days Im below that.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:32 pm

My weight loss is seasonal?... Is this possible. Been here 5 years now and certainly seeing a routine.
No matter how much I try I put on weight from October onwards... Reduced kms due to weather deteriorating and reduced motivation due to end of season ( even though I always try to motivate myself for cross ).
Mid Jan to end of Feb is usually the biggest gain... Coincides with harshest part of winter and no racing / low motivation levels.
March / April motivation and kms rise and weight slowly drops.
June to Aug weight falls off due to big kms ( although racing falls off due to riding bike as a job ).
Sept / October plateau?.

If only I could break the cycle in the next two months!... Oh to be able to go south for a month of sun!.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:23 pm

How is the vegan thing going tll

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:31 pm

Going good, pretty simple to maintain... except I take my own meals when visiting :lol: .
Backed off a bit on the purely raw side of it... I like hot meals in the cold, probably why weight has crept back up again!.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:34 pm

For anyone who's weight loss plan is stalled like this:

Dr Kristin Keim's blog Reality Check: Enjoy the process and the journey. has some interesting insights into why a focus on achieving goals can be difficult if not futile.
It links to two very good articles by John Clear and Scott Adams (author of Dilbert).

Essentially, it advocates using a systems approach rather than goal-oriented approach, where you set up a system to move towards an outcome. So rather than say you want to
lose X kgs by a particular date, you might systematically (day by day) substitute better dietary choices for poor ones. And similarly build a stronger exercise regime
in small increments until your results develop. And you use any failures or stalls as learning opportunities to help you refine or choose a better system.

Kristin's focus as a sports psychologist is on helping athletes achieve results - but the principles can equally well be applied to achieving weight loss results.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Fruit is fattening?
Id put money on it Ive eaten more fruit than any other Australian in the last decade.
Id put money on it there is plenty of people that cycle more than me in the last decade. Lots of em in fact.
Id put money on it that none of them is leaner than me in the last decade.

Its not genetics like I keep saying. My mother is clinically obese.

Fruit is fattening? Where are these obese fruitarians at McDonalds filling up their dining tray with apples and fruit juice?

Come on gang, the leanest person on this forum eats more fruit than any other aussie. Do you want to see the aussie that eats the most steak? Do you honestly think they will be slim, trim and healthy like me? Dr Atkins made millions selling that bs notion. Tell people good things about their bad habits and you will be an amazon best seller even when you died obese with heart disease.
Vegan since 2001.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 pm

:lol:
durianrider wrote:Fruit is fattening?
Id put money on it Ive eaten more fruit than any other Australian in the last decade.
Id put money on it there is plenty of people that cycle more than me in the last decade. Lots of em in fact.
Id put money on it that none of them is leaner than me in the last decade.

Its not genetics like I keep saying. My mother is clinically obese.

Fruit is fattening? Where are these obese fruitarians at McDonalds filling up their dining tray with apples and fruit juice?

Come on gang, the leanest person on this forum eats more fruit than any other aussie. Do you want to see the aussie that eats the most steak? Do you honestly think they will be slim, trim and healthy like me? Dr Atkins made millions selling that bs notion. Tell people good things about their bad habits and you will be an amazon best seller even when you died obese with heart disease.
Say What - what brought on the discussion about fruit?

Is it becuase January's phase of riding stupid km's is over Febuaury must dovoted to trolling to keep your name out there?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm

singlespeedscott wrote::lol:
<snip>
WT? - what brought on the discussion about fruit?
Nothing. It's just a strawman.
singlespeedscott wrote:Is it becuase January's phase of riding stupid km's is over Febuaury must dovoted to trolling to keep your name out there?
It wasn't even a good troll. He's done better. I mean, where is the rice? Where is the Thailand? SHOW ME THE RICE! :lol:
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Just read the other thread. Apparently skinny people eat wheat. That was worth logging in for. :lol:
<removed by request>

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:35 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: It wasn't even a good troll. He's done better. I mean, where is the rice? Where is the Thailand? SHOW ME THE RICE! :lol:
I like DR, he is full on, but passionate about what he believes and I am in awe with the amount of riding hid just did.

But anyway we need more photos of freelee.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:48 pm

<snip>

durianrider: Just messing with ya...Seriously good riding last month....Well done.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Wakatuki wrote:durianrider: Just messing with ya...Seriously good riding last month....Well done.
he rode good, but Matthew Carnal rode better. a pity DR doesn't think so.

as for Freelee pics....hmmm....over 30 and overexposed. time for a new vegan hottie. I vote for this one:

now that's a 6 pack.