Weight loss has stalled

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ausmomo

Weight loss has stalled

Postby ausmomo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi all,
Over the past 2 months my weight has dropped from 125 to 116, mainly thanks to riding. We've been eating a bit healthier, too.

I used to see almost a daily change/trend downwards, but over the past week my weight loss has stopped. If anything, I've put a little bit back on.

Given the same diet and exercise, should weight loss be close to linear*? I've certainly got a lot more "padding" to lose.

I know that upping the rides will help, I just didn't expect things to plateau at this stage.
thanks

* I know it can't be linear from 125kg to 0kg. I meant from 125kg to an ideal weight of say, 85kg.

TREKKER_MIKE

Re: Weight loss has stalled

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:34 pm

you will find next week you will loose 2 kilo, sometimes the body will store fluids. Do you count calories? if so how much do you consume?
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's

mick243

Postby mick243 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:58 pm

If you keep the diet and excercise the same, your body adapts over time and becomes more efficient using less energy for the same ride - so mix up your workouts a bit, throw in some sprints, hillclimbs, go for the occasional run, weights workout and so on.

ausmomo

Postby ausmomo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:01 pm

TREKKER_MIKE wrote:you will find next week you will loose 2 kilo, sometimes the body will store fluids. Do you count calories? if so how much do you consume?
I like my food too much to count calories :(
My plan is to rely on "all the food I want, but close to zero fast food" plus "lots of riding".

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 pm

ausmomo wrote: I like my food too much to count calories :(
My plan is to rely on "all the food I want, but close to zero fast food" plus "lots of riding".
So little food requires so much exercise to work off that that's a losing strategy, Ausmomo.

Your weight loss was fast - perhaps more than 2300 calories deficit DAILY.

This level of activity surely isn't sustainable, and if you continue to eat 'all the food I want' minus the Maccas you may even put it all back on in the next year or so without a realistic maintenance plan that includes diet.

The day you don't do your regular ride because of weather or work, will you also be strong enough to knock back your regular plate of steak, mash and peas?

The Goverment's tips may bore you senseless but they're there for a reason:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/healt ... eight-loss

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Unfortunately I know for me that to really get down to a really slim weight I'll have to give up the chocolates and other occasional sweets. :(

I heard somewhere that it is 20% exercise and 80% diet for effective weight loss. So if you're still eating whatever you like without cutting down on that too (permanently) then there is only so far you can go with exercise before you will plateau.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Summernight wrote:Unfortunately I know for me that to really get down to a really slim weight I'll have to give up the chocolates and other occasional sweets. :(
Well, my dad gave away a lifetime of smoking when advised on a single occasion by a doctor. My wife is still trying.

We look to chemical explanations for failures to change behaviour when perhaps the most far reaching ones are psychological.

You would know your own level of determination, Summernight, and it may be that you're able to cut down the Tim Tams or go the total abstinence. :shock:
Summernight wrote:I heard somewhere that it is 20% exercise and 80% diet for effective weight loss. So if you're still eating whatever you like without cutting down on that too (permanently) then there is only so far you can go with exercise before you will plateau.
There are tables of these things if someone really wants to drill down into details.

But as an example, if you decide to energetically walk the dog to work off a Mars bar, after 15 minutes when you've gone round the block a couple of times, it's dark, it's cold, but there's still another 45 minutes to go before you've made up for those 250 calories!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:27 pm

ausmomo wrote:Hi all,
Given the same diet and exercise, should weight loss be close to linear*? I've certainly got a lot more "padding" to lose.
When you same exercise, are you accounting for the effect of losing 10 kg ? If you're 10 kg lighter, you won't
be burning as many calories on the same ride. So you have to ramp up the effort, or ramp down the energy intake.

It's not unrealistic to set a linear goal like 0.5 to 1 kg per week, until you get to a reasonable goal weight (aka healthy
BMI).

Congrats on getting started - you're making all the right moves by tracking your weight loss and thinking about why its
stalling.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Don't get disheartened yet. As already stated it stabilisation does happen. if you maintain what your doing it will drop again.
I ride because I love it but it also offsets the enormous quantity of food I eat. I seriously eat a lot. I tuck away a lot more than anyone I know. However even though I have a sweet tooth I avoid chocolate and I don't eat crap takeaway, ie Macca's, KFC. My theory is that if I'm going to eat its going to be good stuff with great flavor. Also stick clear of alcohol. I think beer is a big contributor to the weight of a lot of Aussie men.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:47 pm

singlespeedscott wrote: Also stick clear of alcohol. I think beer is a big contributor to the weight of a lot of Aussie men.
Double whammy.

7 calories per gram in the alcohol part alone, and social pressure in that it's considered quite normal to have more than one drink in a group outing.

ausmomo

Postby ausmomo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Thank you all for your insights - they were helpful.

I might have done myself a disservice by saying "eating all I want". I really meant "eating all I want from my quite healthy list of foods, whilst being conscious of calories". So really, it's not even close to "all I want" and I've no idea why I said it in the first bloody place!

The two biggest dietary changes I've made have been "almost no fast food, and a lot less soft drink" and "eating a lot more veggies (which I now see as a filler)".

I've not lost heart at all. My plan is to smash through 110kg ASAP. I just found the stall interesting, and a little bit surprising.

Slavo

Postby Slavo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:47 pm

I am on the same path as you, so far dropped from 133kg to 126kg and working on it. For me the key has been changing the way I look at food. Where I used to eat for comfort and enjoyment, I now am trying to change my mindset to eat for nutrition. Counting calories through apps like My Fitness Pal helps to see how much excess energy is in a can of coke, hot chips, etc. It is a pain at first but really helps recalibrate your eye for serving size and makes you think twice before you eat. Also look at doing some weight bearing exercise and HIIT stuff on a bike or rower to mix things up.

Stick with it and you'll get where you want to be. Good luck.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:24 pm

If anything, you should be proud to have hit that first plateau... it means that you're past the easy BS success that anyone could have achieved, and now you can start on the path of "yep, that really was all my effort".

Right now, the key is to trick your body into thinking that it is still adapting to the situation. Riding the same speed in a lower cadence, riding the same speed at a much higher cadence, riding in top gear, riding up some hills repeatedly.... each of these things tells your body "we have to keep changing to cope with this workload". Your body will attain enough ability to stay as big as possible for that level of effort. You will coast a bit more, pick a good gear on the uphills, not overexert your lungs. This is great from an evolutionary perspective, but awful for someone who wants to exceed their current limits.

I was riding 200kms a week MINIMUM for most of last year. Wasn't getting any faster, always dying trying to hold the wheel in the paceline. I changed cassette, forced me to spin more and get out of the seat for climbs. Then I plateau'd again, and I started riding at a much lower cadence (from 95-100, down to 80-85) and doing some occasional top gear brute force riding. I haven't plateau'd yet because the low cadence stuff is very hard on the body so you can't do it much. But, I'm getting faster all the time, and reacting better to the shenanigans in the bunch ride. You have to mix it up, recognise your goals and do things that will achieve them. My current goal is to be able to sprint and react to surges better. Slow twitch muscles don't help so I'm upping my cadence again. I will get there... and I know that you, momo, will as well. There will come a time when you'll have to check your portion control to ensure you get enough food in :)

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:32 pm

ausmomo wrote: I really meant "eating all I want from my quite healthy list of foods, whilst being conscious of calories". So really, it's not even close to "all I want" and I've no idea why I said it in the first bloody place!
Okay, as long as you realise that the first sentence, even revised, does contain contradiction.

The Govt is understandably keen to promote nutrition over weight loss, which can be competing goals.

For instance, you'd agree that column A of this table is very appetizing and healthy.

But it does contain 400 calories more than column B. :)

You can read more at the respected Aussie Cycling Tips website: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/08/weigh ... -cyclists/
Last edited by clackers on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Slavo wrote:For me the key has been changing the way I look at food. Where I used to eat for comfort and enjoyment, I now am trying to change my mindset to eat for nutrition.
I think I'm going to have to do that, too, Slavo.

I still eat (lots) for comfort and enjoyment, I'm 5' 10" and I've gone from 100kg to about 89 since getting into cycling a few years ago, but to get to and more importantly maintain, say, 85, I'd have to be like you and adopt a better mindset.

ausmomo

Postby ausmomo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:16 pm

clackers wrote:But it does contain 400 calories more than column B. :)

You can read more at the respected Aussie Cycling Tips
wow! that's eye opening. I'm reading that other site right now. Thanks.

I'd still pick col A, mind you.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:18 pm

ausmomo wrote:
I'd still pick col A, mind you.
I'm a column B kind of guy, Ausmomo - just not proud of it. :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:14 pm

3 sushi rollls?
I'd need a 90" break to finish chewing 'em.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:17 pm

What are people eating?! That first column has literally twice as large portions as I eat if I'm not in refuel mode (hard ride). I won't go into it but I would feel physically ill trying to put all that away.

I only weigh 70, but dang. If you're desperate to eat, have a bidon of milk at your desk. rehydration, protein source, very filling, and you will not be poor unlike handfuls of almonds sushi or maccas.

Forehead slap.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 pm

What has helped my weight loss is slowing down when I train, and use my aerobic system instead of my anaerobic system.
I also eat 70% carbs (veg) and 30% protein. Been eating kangaroo lately as it 98% fat free, although you need to read up on how best to cook it. No fat means you need to cook it spot on.
Good on you for losing the weight, keep it up!
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Pedaling wrote:What has helped my weight loss is slowing down when I train, and use my aerobic system instead of my anaerobic system.
Well, you lose more weight as a result of anaerobic rather than aerobic activity.

The key is, you can sustain the aerobic activity longer (or else, see you at the next Olympics!) :D

There's a lot to be said about quantity over quality ... a mate of mine has lost more than 20 kilograms simply by walking everywhere.

He won't be as fit as you, but weight loss is his goal.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:05 pm

clackers wrote:
Pedaling wrote:What has helped my weight loss is slowing down when I train, and use my aerobic system instead of my anaerobic system.
Well, you lose more weight as a result of anaerobic rather than aerobic activity.

The key is, you can sustain the aerobic activity longer (or else, see you at the next Olympics!) :D

There's a lot to be said about quantity over quality ... a mate of mine has lost more than 20 kilograms simply by walking everywhere.

He won't be as fit as you, but weight loss is his goal.

The way I have understood the difference between aerobic vs anaerobic is your aerobic system is fueled by body fat, and anaerobic by sugar.

By slowing your heart rate down (target is 180 - your age + or - 5 depending on fitness level) this will train your body to fueled more by fat instead of sugar. I find I am not overly hungry after base training, although after a "hills day" I need to replenish my body with carbohydrates.

Doing this kind of training has help me increase my fitness, and helped my lose 16kilos since April.

Thanks Clackers.

If you are interested, I can reference the article where I read this.

If I am incorrect/misinformed, please let me know.

Cheers,

Darrin
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Pedaling wrote:

The way I have understood the difference between aerobic vs anaerobic is your aerobic system is fueled by body fat, and anaerobic by sugar.

By slowing your heart rate down (target is 180 - your age + or - 5 depending on fitness level) this will train your body to fueled more by fat instead of sugar.
Not quite, Darrin.

You're burning almost entirely fat while reading this. Just not much.

You burn little fat while doing aerobic exercise. It's the buffer chemical glycogen, mainly.

It's also glycogen when you're doing anaerobic.

When you run out of glycogen, you can't do aerobic or anaerobic activity, you've bonked and are restricted to 'recovery' level effort or whatever you want to call that heart rate zone. I've got a Suunto monitor that gives an annoying beep.

The glycogen is replaced quite automatically (without you eating anything else) from any fat or carbs in your body, so your weight loss is the same either way.

Sorry, I don't buy into the 'ultra lo-carb'/'Fasted' kind of belief systems. :smile:

And for your fitness, your best improvement would be periodically pushing your heart rate to extremes ie interval training.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks For the explanation Clackers,

I do not buy into the low carb diets either, that is why I eat plenty of fresh veggies and fruit. I have cut down on my meat intake, although I am eating a lot more seafood than before.

I have been training with a cycling club for the last two months, so I have had my heart rate increased when riding with the club. I cycled over 400 kms last week, and about 60% of that was riding with the club. Big week for me.

I agree with everything you have said mate, I just had it explained to me differently.
Cheers,

Darrin.
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Pedaling wrote:
I have been training with a cycling club for the last two months, so I have had my heart rate increased when riding with the club. I cycled over 400 kms last week, and about 60% of that was riding with the club. Big week for me.
And you would have found some great people at that club, too, Darrin, so your life is getting enriched in so many ways ... great to hear! (Thumbup)