Using a foam roller - video

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
g-boaf

Using a foam roller - video

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:14 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO1VRTv-GJs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Garmin-Sharp's website is that fairly informative video. It's a little different to the way I've used one.

Dave R32

Re: Using a foam roller - video

Postby Dave R32 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks for posting this. I am treating very tight ITB's and glutes at the moment, good to see another technique.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

TheBikeShed

Postby TheBikeShed » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:26 am

I've never seen this method before, but I really like it! I've always used the more traditional "roll up and down the muscle" method, which seems to work pretty well. I would imagine that the side-to-side action of this one probably pushes between muscle fibres that have seized up and gotten tight (which is probably pretty common when you ride as much as the Garmin-Sharp guys do!). I wonder how this compares to using something like rumble roller or a GooseBumps ball (my favorite calf-loosening tool). I'll have to give it a shot!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:48 am

I don't know how it works with the side to side method. I've tried that with a rumble roller last night and didn't really feel anything. Though I did feel some knots or seized up bits elsewhere and managed to free them up just with the normal methods.

Wonder if the side to side is to do with just that particular roller?

m1a7

Postby m1a7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:16 am

For you iPhone users out there, there's an excellent app called 'Foam Rolling''. Developed by Jono Freeman, an Aussie exercise physiologist/strength and conditioning coach.
Very extensive list of exercises for all muscle groups, with great pictures, how-to videos and even an inbuilt timer!