Goal: Sub 80kg

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
doggatas

Goal: Sub 80kg

Postby doggatas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 am

Over the past three years my weight has fluctuated so much it, if I were to graph it, it would look like the profile of a lumpy stage of the Tour de France.

To give you an idea, in January 2013 I was about 98kg, by April 2013 I was 86kg. I maintained for about 2 months then went back to 96kg by September. November saw me back down to 92kg. I got sick (sore throat, followed by head cold) and then we had our first baby. Which basically meant I didn’t do anything until New Year’s Day. Yep, back to 99kg again.

Nothing like a new year to start something.

23 days and 1100km later and I am 91.7kg. Compared to previous attempts to commit to a consistent training plan and changing my eating habits, this time there is a burning desire to achieve. I have not been this motivated to achieve since my first year trying to make senior football (Aussie Rules).

I reckon I am about 20% fat at 91kg so if I were to get to 10% fat that would put me at 82kg. Close enough to dip under 80kgs.

I was hesitant about posting something like this but I thought what the heck, it may provide someone else with a bit of motivation and at the same time keep me honest.

My main goal for losing the weight is to give myself a real crack at making club A. My sprint is there for sure but need to be lighter to be there at the finish and survive over the smaller burgs.

Baldy

Re: Goal: Sub 80kg

Postby Baldy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:17 am

This is Dogga. Unconventional kit and needs to work on his forearms but he is getting there.Note the aero helmet #gains

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:28 am

That bloke is "ripped" Baldy.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:48 am

If we got in a shearer and a makeup artist for the abs its doable.

wardie

Postby wardie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:46 pm

How tall are you? What's your plan of attack?

I found logging my daily food intake into myfitnesspal.com really useful. There's plenty of other sites that do the same thing. I went through a period where I was trying to eat less sugar and just by logging it I found out how easy it was to consume - no saying that is a path you want to or need to take - plus how easy it was to overeat. You can also add your daily exercise. I used it on a what I expend I'll try and match with what I eat and found I lost about 5 kgs pretty easily.
Giant XTC 2

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm

I am 188cm tall, I plan to ride/race as much as I can and run 2-3 times a week, about 5km at a time.

Food intake consists of pretty much raw ingredients: meats (fish, chicken, beef) salads and vegetables (not potato). So far breakfast has been cup of muesli, with some milk and natural yogurt, surprisingly this keeps me really satisfied until about 1pm in the afternoon. I am also drinking plenty of water. I really like my coffee (any cyclist does) but I have cut it down to a double espresso or long mac, which I make on my on espresso machine.

I have set myself mini goals along the way. Such as, when I crack the 90kg barrier I am going to let loose and have a few JDs and a home made pizza night. Once I get to goal I weight, I will play around with meals for a few weeks (month) to what I have to do to maintain.

wardie

Postby wardie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Great. Best of luck.

I'm 184cm and about 75kgs and eat basicaly what's put in front of me so it can be done.
Giant XTC 2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:07 pm

doggatas wrote:23 days and 1100km later and I am 91.7kg. Compared to previous attempts to commit to a consistent training plan and changing my eating habits, this time there is a burning desire to achieve. I have not been this motivated to achieve since my first year trying to make senior football (Aussie Rules).
I am like you... up and down like a yoyo. My big problem is reduced k's in winter. Motivation is the key... personally I find goals help a lot, usually upcoming events ( cycling events, not pizza events :mrgreen: ) ... the trouble for me is losing motivation after the event!.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:51 pm

doggatas wrote:Food intake consists of pretty much raw ingredients: meats (fish, chicken, beef) salads and vegetables (not potato). So far breakfast has been cup of muesli, with some milk and natural yogurt, surprisingly this keeps me really satisfied until about 1pm in the afternoon. I am also drinking plenty of water.
You should be right with this approach. Get rid of all processed carbs, reduce the natural ones to about 20% of your overall intake and watch your weight go down. The going down bit has very little to do with the amount of training you do by the way. It's all in the food.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I might back the kms off a bit if that's the case, at least until I am conditioned as such to be able to handle it. I'm feeling a little fatigued ATM.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 pm

doggatas wrote: I'm feeling a little fatigued ATM.
Increase fat intake - that's where the energy comes from (good, healthy energy that is). Make sure you sleep at least 8 hours. Cut training if you have to, but not sleep. And of course stay away from supplements if you want to stay healthy.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:51 am

Nikolai wrote:
doggatas wrote: I'm feeling a little fatigued ATM.
Increase fat intake - that's where the energy comes from (good, healthy energy that is). Make sure you sleep at least 8 hours. Cut training if you have to, but not sleep. And of course stay away from supplements if you want to stay healthy.
That bit about sleep is important. I didn't get enough this week and today I'm feeling absolutely dreadful. I did a hard ride on Tuesday, a little bit on Wednesday and another fairly hard ride yesterday. Also had a late night Monday. The result is just no energy, very tired. Awful.
doggatas wrote:Thanks for taking the time to reply. I might back the kms off a bit if that's the case, at least until I am conditioned as such to be able to handle it. I'm feeling a little fatigued ATM.
How many kms did you normally do per week before that? I does take some time to build up to the big kilometres. The first week I ever did over 500km left me feeling sore and tired. Subsequent weeks and having done between 300-415km per week since feels much easier to the point where I don't have sore muscles. In my personal experience, it took about 5 weeks to adjust.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 am

Once I get going I can do 300-350km without too much difficulty. With the nice weather and being on holidays I jumped straight into it without building up to it. I believe that is probably why I am feeling a little tired. Funny you guys mention sleeping, Went to sleep around 9 last night and I woke without an alarm at 4:30am. Previously I tend to go to bed about 11-12 and wake at 6-6:30.

Strava activity graph:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 am

Yeah, that seems about right for sleep. I've been getting to bed around 00:00 or 00:30 and waking at 05:45. Not enough. I've been trying to fit big kilometres around work and other things. Getting to bed around 9:00pm is good. other things I've read is to have your room really dark, try to keep the temperature fairly cool as well.

I can see you've done the kilometres before, so you'll probably get back to that fairly quickly and adjust I'd guess. You've already got a much better base level than I have. In comparison I'm just trying to not only build it up, which I've done, but also build up the speed as well - which is coming gradually.

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:33 am

Energy in, energy out. The fact that your weight is flying around like that seems to indicate to me that your lifestyle is also flying around wildly.
eg. huge swings in energy intake and huge swings in energy expenditure.

Stabilise your life style and your weight will follow. Bring everything to an equillibrium first and then do small shifts in lifestyle to achieve small shifts in weight change. It's much more healthy and nice on your body than big change ramps either up or down.

burgesyd

Postby burgesyd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Something I have noticed with the sleep. I used to read books on the iPad using the Kindle app. I would stay awake for at least an hour reading on it and would then have to try and fall asleep when it become too late. I started reading proper books over the break and I usually can't make it through a couple of pages before dozing off. Great for getting an early nights sleep!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:06 pm

doggatas wrote:Compared to previous attempts to commit to a consistent training plan and changing my eating habits, this time there is a burning desire to achieve.
Is there enough desire there for you to try to be a whole food vegan to succeed?

I started at about 82Kg (I was 80 to 83 long term) with a goal of 73. Well over 4 months now and I"m 72 and heading for 71. I'm not doing any more exercise than normal. I'm 46yo and haven't been this light since my 20s.

TheBikeShed

Postby TheBikeShed » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:13 pm

I agree with waldie—logging your calorie intake is a huge help, even if you don't expend a lot of effort trying to keep it under a certain number. Some people lose a lot of weight just by being a bit more aware of how much they're eating, even without any sort of caloric intake goal. I'm a bit fan of the app LoseIt!, which is free for iOS and Android, and has a great web interface. The other thing that I always recommend for weight loss is drinking a ton of water, which you mentioned above. Make sure to keep that up—it can be hard to keep drinking day in and day out, but if you always have a bottle with you, that should help.

Other than that, as everyone else has said, eat well, ride a lot, and get enough sleep! Best of luck on your weight-loss goals.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:23 am

Nobody wrote:
doggatas wrote:Compared to previous attempts to commit to a consistent training plan and changing my eating habits, this time there is a burning desire to achieve.
Is there enough desire there for you to try to be a whole food vegan to succeed?
I've heard a lot of good things regarding a vegan diet and long term weight loss/lifestyle changes. I must admit I am fairly clueless when it comes down to knowing exactly what a vegan diet involves.

At this stage I am going to commit to raw ingredients which includes steak, chicken and fish ( a no no for vegan?) and plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit(bananas) in controlled portions.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:43 am

doggatas wrote:I've heard a lot of good things regarding a vegan diet and long term weight loss/lifestyle changes. I must admit I am fairly clueless when it comes down to knowing exactly what a vegan diet involves.
Veganism (is this the right word?) is a worldview which is why a lot of vegans can't help themselves but preach it left and right. Before you get excited though, ask yourself - are you really designed to eat grass all your life? Unless you're a horse or a cow, the answer is of course no. True, we're robust enough to survive on almost anything but so what? Do we really need to make it complicated even though we don't have to.

Weight loss, as I have alluded to before I think, is a stupidly simple proposition. The energy in/out notion is rubbish that should be thrown out together with the food pyramid nonsense. Eat whole, natural food, get rid of processed carbs (including, of course, gels and 'energy' drinks), reduce natural carb intake (e.g. by only having carbs come from natural sources - fruit, veg and dairy) and you will lose weight without ever bothering with calorie counting (totally time wasting exercise).

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:04 am

Nikolai wrote:The energy in/out notion is rubbish that should be thrown out together
:roll:

But wait... take my advice of consuming less energy and you'll lose weight. "naturally"

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:44 am

Nikolai wrote:.....Weight loss, as I have alluded to before I think, is a stupidly simple proposition. The energy in/out notion is rubbish that should be thrown out together with the food pyramid nonsense. Eat whole, natural food, get rid of processed carbs (including, of course, gels and 'energy' drinks), reduce natural carb intake (e.g. by only having carbs come from natural sources - fruit, veg and dairy) and you will lose weight without ever bothering with calorie counting (totally time wasting exercise).
Calorie in vs Calorie out seems to work pretty well for me, as do processed carbs. I lost weight - from 225kg to my current kind of 97-98 kg level on a diet that is mostly highly processed carbs. I do burn some 5000 calories a day, and it seems my weight goes down when calorie intake is below that and up when it is above that. Certainly doesn't seem like nonsense to me.

It's fine with me that other people go well on a paleo diets, and anti-processed food diets, or eat only bananas diet or whatever, but I like my diet and my weight and health are exactly as I want them.

I do agree with Nikolai in that "weight loss is a stupidly simple proposition." Just we may disagree about everything else :lol:

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:53 am

Nikolai wrote: are you really designed to eat grass all your life?
You are joking...right? Grass?

I guess you have never heard of Rich Roll...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUmOx52Mxc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Nikolai wrote: Veganism (is this the right word?) is a worldview which is why a lot of vegans can't help themselves but preach it left and right. Before you get excited though, ask yourself - are you really designed to eat grass all your life? Unless you're a horse or a cow, the answer is of course no.

True, we're robust enough to survive on almost anything but so what?

Do we really need to make it complicated even though we don't have to.
I don't know any Vegans who eat grass at all ? BUT we do eat nuts, beans, fruit, vegetables, grains, rice, legumes etc etc etc…………..

I do agree however Nikolai that eating naturally derived carbs is definitely the way to go, but alas I will strongly disagree with dairy falling into that category. Extracting milk from a cow/goat/sheep or whatever animal then homogenising & pasteurising it is far from natural…..that's processed in my view. The modern day "milking process" is by far a healthy or natural option. IGF-1, high nitrite content, high content of illegal antibiotics & animal drugs, links with insulin dependant diabetes, high protein & phosphorus which leaches calcium from the blood…………….nuff said :shock:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Grass can't be too bad though. All nutrients that a big meat eater gets from eating cows, sheep, buffalo, and roos, comes from grass.

Meanwhile, the trouble with anecdotal and non science based dietary advice is there's a broad range of abilities/disabilities to process various nutrients. That's why some people get metabolic syndrome, gout, diabetes, allergies when eating the same food others don't have an obvious issue with.

And some medical tests are very insensitive. i.e. blood tests for renal function usually don't reveal a problem until 75% of function has been lost. So, someone who believes he thrives on a particular diet (that varies from what science recommends) may be very wrong. Truth is, he/she won't know until he gets a lot older. And we all know people who love lots of meat, milk, fruit, and others who could never eat as much.

Personally, I think it would be very interesting to see Kenyan long distance runners take up cycling. I am sure they'd shake things up dramatically. And interestingly, they eat very little animal produce...86% of Calories are from plants, 10% of total Cals are protein.
http://runnersconnect.net/running-nutri ... n-runners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... mpics-2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

other interesting bits about Kenyans:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... acing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runne ... n-training" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runne ... rs-so-fast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;