Goal: Sub 80kg

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody

Re: Goal: Sub 80kg

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Nobody wrote:
Nobody wrote:I started at about 82Kg (I was 80 to 83 long term) with a goal of 73. Well over 4 months now and I"m 72 and heading for 71. I'm not doing any more exercise than normal. I'm 46yo and haven't been this light since my 20s.
Well that was so last week. I've got onto to next phase by significantly reducing my plant based protein. Now I'm 70Kg and heading for the 68. So far that's vegan, low fat, low protein. To do this I'm eating more fruit now. Seems counter intuitive in a world of misinformation, but it's working. :)
Well another month and I'm down to 68. I'd say not much to go now since this was my 20s racing weight (BMI 22.7) and I was 64 as a teenager. I've changed to eating more potatoes (as they are high carb, lowish protein, low fat) and drinking more water which has helped.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:54 am

Nice. I'm now waking up in the low 87s. So that's 12kg since Jan 1.

It has definitely slowed a bit but that is ok.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:26 pm

I'm also on the sub 80kg goal path.

I'm a touch over 180cm and for the last few years have sat around the 85-86kg. Mind you I have really only been riding for a year, and prior to that was more in to the gym and surfing, so I've stripped back a bit of upper body weight, and probably added a bit to my legs (always had chicken legs). A lot of people have mentioned I'm 'slimmer' and I definitely notice a lot less flab around my stomach and hips (not that I had much in the first place)

In the last few months I've probably dropped 3-4 kilos. Haven't ridden much more but started racing this year. I have been trying to eat smaller portions and less junk, but no major diet change. My goal is sub 80kg for the Emergency & Police games in April. The course has a significant hill climb each lap (3 laps) so any weight I can lose between now and then will be an advantage. My hill times have been consistently lower the last few months so fingers crossed it pays off.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm

I have lost over 15 kg in 2 years. Really was having a lot of trouble, extreamly uncomfortable inside. Weight all other the show and losing it became imperative just to feel comfortable. The way I felt, I thought I wasn't going to see anything like another year. So got back onto the old bike with 3 regular rides a week and worked up to 100 km per week. Big thing was cut the carbs. Well bad carbs anyway. Mostly it was enforced because it turns out I have a hiatus Hernia so can't actually eat much without causing big trouble for myself. The thing is I still wanted too so it was a huge and difficult adjustment all the same. I had to learn to only eat when I was empty and not by hunger, the clock or the clock trained hunger and I had to learn to stop before I was full. I found that getting straight on the bike after work was the best thing as it took me away from the snack opportunity at home. This got me through that craving period. Later I found that giving up absolutely everything that contains wheat or corn products has vastly reduced hunger cravings. I knew that bread made me hungrier and 1 sandwich turned into 2, same with biscuits etc. Complex or unrefined carbs like bananas or potato don't make me hungrier. So absolutely no wheat period. No bread, no biscuits, no pasta, no BBQ sauce, no chicken flavoring, no flavored crisps, No waffles, no cake, no pastries, pies, slices, tarts.... They put wheat and corn products in just about everything but you can find some things that are free. I'm now 62 kg and a 79 cm waist a bit lighter than I'd like but then, with this conditions it's become tough to maintain weight let alone gain it. I'll try to improve core and upper body muscle mass, may be a challenge though.

I had lost weight before when I was over 80 kg and kept most of it off, Calorie King is a really helpful website. I guess I have had a lot more motivation this time around though.

Ken